Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 03-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Parity feature with Sigil

Hi

Forgive me if this information lies already somewhere. I am a Sigil fan but I like the calibre Editor because it provides some additional and very nice features. OTOH some features are also missing in the Editor. Today, I begin to modify my EPUB with Sigil and then end it and validate it with the Editor. Sigil then the Editor, in this particular order as I had been advised.

When calibre's Editor will be able to do everything, I'll totally switch to it.

Missing features

For me, the following three are the most important:

1- Metadata editor
One exists in calibre, but not in the Editor. A basic tool but quite useful.

2- Saved clips and searches.
This is a very handy Sigil feature that I really need everyday several times.

3- Spellchecker
Sigil has a very nice spellchecker, precious for proper nouns (it gives the number of occurrences of every mispelled name and can deal with typographical apostrophe).

My question is: do these missing features are planned to be implemented with calibre's Editor? The question of When? comes also to mind, but this is in fact secundary.

Last edited by roger64; 03-01-2014 at 11:22 PM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:43 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, sometime in the last -- day I think? -- Kovid created a new development branch called "spell" which contains the beginnings of dictionary implementation. So I think we will see this pretty soon.

Metadata editing can already be done in the GUI, and calibre will update the metadata if you open the book from the library. Not sure if/when that will be added into the editor core. Clips are planned, but I'm not sure when.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:22 AM   #3
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your info These are good news.

When you edit a book, it seems logical to be able to edit its metadata. Usually I do it with my converter (which is not calibre) but one is always happy to be able to modify or add something.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:23 AM   #4
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Missing features

1- Metadata editor

2- Saved clips and searches.

3- Spellchecker
For me:

1-Metadata editor. OK

2-Saved clips and searches. OK

3-Spellchecker. OK with management of user dictionaries.

AND...

4-Link management: Insert ID, Insert Link.

With all this: bye, bye, Sigil, and thanks for everything.
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:39 AM   #5
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
You can get round the current lack of clips by using a program like PhraseExpress, which is free for pesonal use.

This allows you to insert a user defined clip imto where the cursor is in any windows program.

I have found it a useful tool until Kovid can spre the time to implement a "clips" function for the Editor.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:00 AM   #6
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post

.../...

4-Link management: Insert ID, Insert Link.
You are right, this is quite important.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
fdv
fdv began at the beginning.

Device: Odyssey Bookeen
Hi all,

Another feature please :

With Sigil, i can copy paste an html pages from Firefox to Sigil.
With Sigil, i can add several image files in the same time with "add existing files".

Anyway, i use most of the time Calibre Editor.

FDV
fdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can import as many images in one go as you like with File->Import files into book. http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/edit...ew-blank-files
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
fdv
fdv began at the beginning.

Device: Odyssey Bookeen
Oups, i'm sorry, i will reread the documentation.

Thanks a lot.
fdv is offline   Reply With Quote