Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #16
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla View Post
i'm having the same problem. I don't have an e-book reader yet and I need it mainly for reading academic files. Pocketbook seems to be a good option. If anyone has news about it please tell me (when it will be released?)...
I can't wait for it to be released, too. I'd like to read some reviews of it, though, before I pick it up, so I won't be pre-ordering it.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:00 PM   #17
Cla
Cla began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 902 pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I can't wait for it to be released, too. I'd like to read some reviews of it, though, before I pick it up, so I won't be pre-ordering it.
it's a wise thing to do. I'll wait for the reviews too.
Cla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 01:02 AM   #18
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
the price is too much though...
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #19
Cla
Cla began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 902 pro
kindle DX is a little cheaper. They are very different from each other. I don't know... it's not easy to choose an ebook!
Cla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:53 AM   #20
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
"Academic PDFs" covers a lot of territory. Do you mean chemistry, or philosophy? I read a lot of PDF social science articles -- no pictures, in other words -- on my Kobo. I use Calibre to convert them to ePub. Results are anywhere from good-enough-to-read to pretty much perfect. Tables and graphs and stuff though don't really work. But I'm generally very satisfied with this pretty simple technique, and how the results come out on the Kobo.

I don't know about other e-readers, but the straightforward Windows file system access to the Kobo also makes it easy to manage these files. I tend to dump lots of them in haphazardly and then clean up later when I don't need them anymore. So it's easy to just use Windows Explorer or whatever to go in there.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #21
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Go for the Kindle DX Graphite. Best option right now.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #22
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
for screen size the DXG has no competitors.. but it lacks reflow, and in my opinion the prs 650 (probably the 950 even more so) does a much better job with pdf-s.. if only we could stretch the screen a little bit..
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #23
ofey
Kindle3 Noob
ofey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Well I was confronted with this question and I bit the bullet and got a Kindle 3.
For the money I spent (~A$280) which got me a 3G Wifi model and a lighted cover, I think it's heaps worth!!

What I do to the PDFs is actually resize the thing on the Mac. I recognise I cannot read more than 3-4 papers in a day so I have a collection on the Kindle called Endnote. I basically pluck out the 3 or 4 I want to read from my endnote library, resize them to perhaps 110% of the original and I get rid of the hard margins on the Kindle and voila, it's readable.
Now it's not ideal but it's increased the size of the text quite well for me. It's like reading size font 9 on a computer screen. I can always use the zoom function for graphs.

A Kindle DX would have been perfect but the size of the thing is a little too much to be absolutely portable. I do still think the real estate on the kindle 3 can be put to better use and an extra 5mm each way would have made its size better for PDF reading.
ofey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #24
luckycharms
Connoisseur
luckycharms began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, PRS-650, iPad 1, iPhone 4S
Looking forward to seeing the new ereaders coming out this month - in particular the sony prs-950 and the pocketbook 903.

A quick question about reading pdfs: Why aren't these ereaders able to just display a pdf at any particular magnification, and then have the user scroll it around on the screen (like the hand tool in acrobat)? That would seem to be the most straightforward way to deal with pdf documents that are too big for an ereader screen. I don't get it!
luckycharms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #25
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckycharms View Post
A quick question about reading pdfs: Why aren't these ereaders able to just display a pdf at any particular magnification, and then have the user scroll it around on the screen (like the hand tool in acrobat)? That would seem to be the most straightforward way to deal with pdf documents that are too big for an ereader screen. I don't get it!
Because e-Ink is a very different technology from LCD (or CRT), and having anything that "scrolls around" would not be fast enough and energy efficient enough to be worth it. There's a reason that you refresh the entire screen at a time and don't just scroll a line at a time with these devices: they use almost all their energy when changing the display. If you were constantly changing it, not only would it require a very different display configuration, it would use far more energy.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #26
luckycharms
Connoisseur
luckycharms began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, PRS-650, iPad 1, iPhone 4S
thanks frabjous - makes good sense.

Another followup: in terms of the prs-950 vs. kindle dx for academic pdfs, which would folks go for? perhaps hard to tell with the prs-950 not being out till mid this month...
luckycharms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #27
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Of course 950!
1. You can underline
2. Add notes
3. Browse Wikipedia
4. Good for highly formatted PDFs and to turn through pages fast.
5. Touchscreen makes innovative interface making it like real book.
6. PDF is devided in 3 parts (A4 size) which gives lot of space to scribble around.
7. PDF internal links to different pages work in 950!

And finally, Sony devices have better support for PDFs than Kindle.
so winner is 950.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #28
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Because e-Ink is a very different technology from LCD (or CRT), and having anything that "scrolls around" would not be fast enough and energy efficient enough to be worth it. There's a reason that you refresh the entire screen at a time and don't just scroll a line at a time with these devices: they use almost all their energy when changing the display. If you were constantly changing it, not only would it require a very different display configuration, it would use far more energy.
Can't the new Sony devices scroll around?
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #29
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
I have sony readers for my reading of everything non work related, but unfortunately screen size for both 650 or 950 is too small for having an entire journal paper page in the screen so i had to buy the DX. The absence of highlighting and notes is a bummer but reading a journal paper in a reflowed or partitioned page like in the sony is terrible. I wish Sony had a big screen reader. Their touchscreens are amazing!
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote