Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-09-2021, 12:20 PM   #1
Nebudjet
Nebudjet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Viewing textbooks and technical papers on Nova 3 Color?

Hello!

Longtime Kindle paperwhite user considering switching over to Onyx Boox for PDF viewing and annotation purposes. With the Nova 3 Color out now, I'm curious to see whether or not it is a viable device for reading medical textbooks and articles. I think the size is perfect for portability's sake, but I am concerned that the screen is just a little bit too small for optimal PDF viewing (are the reflow features amenable to documents with many figures?). If anyone has had any experiences viewing textbooks and similar academic material on the Nova 3 Color, particularly in splitscreen notetaking mode, I'd love to hear it!

My next alternative in consideration is the Note Air, though I am concerned that the 10" size might be a bit too unwieldy to comfortably carry in one hand and worried that the lack of color may compromise the ability to properly view certain content (especially stuff like histology slides where dye color matters). The price point is also stretching the budget a bit, especially since I'd like to get a stylus with an eraser on the end, so anything bigger like the Max Lumi is not really a consideration. The size does seem better for PDF viewing, notetaking, and drawing though, so it remains a strong contender- if anyone has any input regarding their experiences viewing similar material on the Note Air, it would be great to hear too!

Thanks!
Nebudjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:44 AM   #2
nystagmus
Connoisseur
nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Boox Max Lumi 2, Kobo Forma, Topjoy Butterfly E601
Hallo,

I tried 2 devices that you mentioned, the nova color 3 and max lumi, while using them for your same purpose.
Even though the colors are refreshing to have while reading, as I find it more "natural" and enjoyable, you have to crank the screen brightness so high, that is almost feels like an LCD display regarding the eye straining brightness, while not having the clarity and the contrast of an LCD display. The color filter does indeed affects the contrast and sharpness of texts. This is why I am sending the Nova color 3 back.

The reading option in Neoreader are good enough to read in columns where is needed. Tough it is going to be very cramed in split screen. I just noticed, that you can not read in columns in split screen.

The Max Lumi is really a blessing in it is size, though less portable. You can read fullpage PDFs with a bit of cropping almost in full-size,

I had a boox note before but sold it, as PDFs had to be cropped almost always and the column view was to big to follow the text without jumping with your eyes if you understand what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebudjet View Post
Hello!

Longtime Kindle paperwhite user considering switching over to Onyx Boox for PDF viewing and annotation purposes. With the Nova 3 Color out now, I'm curious to see whether or not it is a viable device for reading medical textbooks and articles. I think the size is perfect for portability's sake, but I am concerned that the screen is just a little bit too small for optimal PDF viewing (are the reflow features amenable to documents with many figures?). If anyone has had any experiences viewing textbooks and similar academic material on the Nova 3 Color, particularly in splitscreen notetaking mode, I'd love to hear it!

My next alternative in consideration is the Note Air, though I am concerned that the 10" size might be a bit too unwieldy to comfortably carry in one hand and worried that the lack of color may compromise the ability to properly view certain content (especially stuff like histology slides where dye color matters). The price point is also stretching the budget a bit, especially since I'd like to get a stylus with an eraser on the end, so anything bigger like the Max Lumi is not really a consideration. The size does seem better for PDF viewing, notetaking, and drawing though, so it remains a strong contender- if anyone has any input regarding their experiences viewing similar material on the Note Air, it would be great to hear too!

Thanks!
nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2021, 10:50 AM   #3
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Just got my Nova 3 Color the other day so I'm still getting used to it. However, I suspect that it would not be ideal for your purposes.

While it is possible to read textbook style PDFs on the device, it is not an optimal size for such purposes. The 10.3" Note size ereader is much more comfortable for viewing such PDFs if you are looking for something more portable than a 13.3" device.

As the above person noted, the screen is quite dark and so it needs the light on when reading unless one is in a very brightly lit environment. This is not a problem for me, but it could be for people who are very light sensitive.

Textbooks with diagrams in the epub format do not work well with the native Neoreader app. There are a lot of glitches that need to be fixed. However, such books do read quite well when using Moon+ Reader. But then you lose the ability to annotate the book.

Ghosting is a significant issue, much more so than on a non-colour eink ereader. While it is possible to manually refresh the page, doing so is a bit cumbersome at the moment. I hope that they will fix this in a future update.

I am enjoying my Nova 3 Color and will be keeping it. But I would probably not be as happy with it if I were using it extensively for academic or work related purposes. There are a lot of things which they still need to work out with colour eink screens and there are a good number of glitches which Onyx need to work out with the 3.1 software.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:32 PM   #4
nystagmus
Connoisseur
nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Boox Max Lumi 2, Kobo Forma, Topjoy Butterfly E601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Ghosting is a significant issue, much more so than on a non-colour eink ereader. While it is possible to manually refresh the page, doing so is a bit cumbersome at the moment. I hope that they will fix this in a future update.
you can change the refersh setting to refresh every pageturn/view automaticaly to elimnate ghosting on color.
this option is in the hamburgermenu upper right
nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:51 PM   #5
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nystagmus View Post
you can change the refersh setting to refresh every pageturn/view automaticaly to elimnate ghosting on color.
this option is in the hamburgermenu upper right
Thanks. I thought I had had adjusted page refreshing in some place, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

However, after reading your post and adjusting the refresh setting to every page wherever I could, it is now working fairly decently.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert