Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-16-2021, 05:30 PM   #1
ryadaj
ryadaj began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Metadata woes

Hello,

I've scoured the forum and Reddit, but could really benefit from some support.

Here is what I have done:

1. Updated metadata in Calibre (Title, Author, Tags, Cover)

2. Used Polish tool, selected "Update the cover" and "Update metadata" in book files functions

3. Removed ORIGINAL_EPUB versions of books keeping updated EPUB only in Calibre

4. Removed books from Kobo Libra H2O, unplugged device

5. Reconnected device and added books back from Calibre

The covers have not been updated and nothing is changed. For now, I have left the books off of my device.

Could anyone please help me? I would appreciate it very much.
ryadaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:01 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
What is the actual problem you are trying to fix? Obviously something to do with metadata, but, I don't know what was wrong in the first place. I assumed it was updating the metadata on the device, but, at the end you say "I have left the books off of my device". That means there are no books on the device for metadata to be updated.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2021, 07:27 AM   #3
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Have you tried this more than once? The only thing I can think of that would possibly lead this outcome is if you had accidentally selected "Restore EPUB from Original" instead of Deleting it. Note that to delete the Original, you have to use the Green Recycle Arrows icon. There is no optoin to delete it from the right-click menu.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:06 AM   #4
ryadaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What is the actual problem you are trying to fix? Obviously something to do with metadata, but, I don't know what was wrong in the first place. I assumed it was updating the metadata on the device, but, at the end you say "I have left the books off of my device". That means there are no books on the device for metadata to be updated.
I'm so sorry. I don't know how I managed to post this without actually asking a question.

Yes, I would like to update the metadata on the device. Those are the steps I've taken, but the cover images and author names and titles are still the same as they were before updating the metadata on calibre
Old 03-17-2021, 08:07 AM   #5
ryadaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Have you tried this more than once? The only thing I can think of that would possibly lead this outcome is if you had accidentally selected "Restore EPUB from Original" instead of Deleting it. Note that to delete the Original, you have to use the Green Recycle Arrows icon. There is no optoin to delete it from the right-click menu.
I did click the green recycle arrows to delete the ORIGINAL_EPUB files. I was very specific about it and don't believe I clicked Restore from Original.

I've tried it once with my whole library and a couple more times with individual books to see if it would work if I tinkered around
Advert
Old 03-17-2021, 10:14 AM   #6
Krios
Zealot
Krios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five words

Device: Bookeen Odyssey FrontLight 2, Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Kobo Libra 2
After adding books to reader, disconnect it, and connect it again, and in calibre, go to device and update metadata on device, that worked for me.
Krios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:16 AM   #7
ryadaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krios View Post
After adding books to reader, connect it again, and in calibre, go to device and update metadata on device, that worked for me.
The only option I see under the Device menu is to update the metadata cache, which I tried, but that didn't work. Thanks for your reply!
Old 03-17-2021, 10:26 AM   #8
Krios
Zealot
Krios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five words

Device: Bookeen Odyssey FrontLight 2, Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryadaj View Post
The only option I see under the Device menu is to update the metadata cache, which I tried, but that didn't work. Thanks for your reply!
I use Kobotouchextended plugin, and in it i select option to upload covers when sending books to device, disable option to convert books to kepub, and books on device have have updated metadata, only thing missing is series information, but after connecting it to calibre again series information is also updated.

Last edited by Krios; 03-17-2021 at 10:56 AM.
Krios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:28 PM   #9
ryadaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krios View Post
I use Kobotouchextended plugin, and in it i select option to upload covers when sending books to device, disable option to convert books to kepub, and books on device have have updated metadata, only thing missing is series information, but after connecting it to calibre again series information is also updated.
Actually this helped!! Thank you
Old 03-17-2021, 03:06 PM   #10
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I still can't fathom why this would be going so wrong,, I'll have to test it out here some more, but if my first guess of user error is completely wrong, then...

Removing the book from Calibre then unplugging the Kobo does not clear out the remnants in the database, re-loading the book with the default settings re-uses the original database entry. The Kobo device plugin should have a check option in the "Collections, covers, UPloads" tab to *not* treat replacements as a new book,, you can try unchecking that to see if the bahviour persists.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:55 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryadaj View Post
Actually this helped!! Thank you
Following the post you replied to should have done most of it. This works for either the built-in KoboTouch driver or the KoboTouchExtended driver (the latter is using the same code). And it needs the books to have been imported into the database on the device before the updates can be done. So, send the book, eject the device, wait for the import to finish and connect again. This actually updates more metadata than the device reads.

This doesn't update the covers, just the metadata. For the covers, you have two choices.

But, firstly, the device generates the cover images from the books and stores them. If these get removed, then the device will regenerate them the next time they are needed.

So, to get the new cover on the device, you can resend the book. Calibre will put the new cover in the book when it is sent, and the driver will remove the existing and let the device regenerate them. The driver can also generate the covers during the send. This can give higher quality covers, but, will take a little longer.

Or you can use my Kobo Utilities plugin. This has a function to send just the new covers to the device for selected books. This uses the driver to generate and send the covers without needing to replace the book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:36 AM   #12
rashkae
Wizard

*edit: comment removed *.. I'm probably overthinking it.. if calibre uploading cover fixes it,, yay

Last edited by rashkae; 03-18-2021 at 09:39 AM.

Tags
calibre, kobo libra h2o, metadata, support