Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-15-2021, 06:10 PM   #1
jgbout
Groupie
jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
I went with FORMA !! and now.....

BIG THANK YOU to everyone who helped me in being comfortable buying a Forma. IT's ordered and I pick it up later this week. Got a good sale on it !

In the end, the extras an Android E-Ink offered were more about wanting them because they can, not because I will use them (except I do wish there was contrast control in Kobo, and built in margin crop that retains it's page positioning after page turns). The simplicity, kobo environment, light weight and always on features of the Forma simply outweighed all the questions about android devices. When they can stay powered longer, and are more cost efficient, maybe.

Now........ I need to to get ready to understand installing KOReader and Sync to Google Drive. Thankfully a previous thread has me set up with doing the Google Drive Sync

Now PArt 2... if I could find a way to itemize novels in a series according to proper reading order, but sadly I won't be on a PC, so can't use any of the programs that would do it.

One draw back isn't much to complain about

Again,
Thanks !

Hopefully I don't brick the thing!
jgbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:30 PM   #2
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbout View Post
BIG THANK YOU to everyone who helped me in being comfortable buying a Forma. IT's ordered and I pick it up later this week. Got a good sale on it !

Congrats! Where’d you find a good sale on the Forma?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2021, 06:32 PM   #3
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
if I could find a way to itemize novels in a series according to proper reading order, but sadly I won't be on a PC, so can't use any of the programs that would do it.
NickelSeries
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:34 PM   #4
jgbout
Groupie
jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Best Buy of all places.
They have a sale $274 Canadian, and because they didn't have stock when I went for it and on the phone was told they did (only one which looked like an open box), and I drove from outside the city for it.... they did find a new one, sealed, and offered $250 Canadian.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:36 PM   #5
jgbout
Groupie

Geek, thanks, I know about Nickel, but really need "For Dummy" Guides. See my post in here just on Installing KOReader without a PC (also has questions about KFMon and Nickel).

I see in your tag you have Kobo-Patches.... What are Patches?
Advert
Old 03-15-2021, 10:19 PM   #6
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
if I could find a way to itemize novels in a series according to proper reading order, but sadly I won't be on a PC, so can't use any of the programs that would do it.
You can organize books by folder and file name in koreader. You don't need a PC to do it.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:25 PM   #7
jgbout
Groupie

Hey, I've never been able to get it to organize according to my arrangement of file names. I've created collections, and within the collection I've not been able to list them in published order.

Disregard....... you said in Koreader.
I thought Koreader was more a utility for viewing a book how you want.., so it's also it's own library too? Like the Kobo app for example, but instead Koreader will populate it's own view of what books are available? And you can arrange how you want? It will see anything in Kobo library, gDrive (if set up), etc.. ?

I seem to have a lot of misconceptions. Does Koreader actually replace the Kobo homepage where you see your collections, separate books etc..?

I'm a little nervous this might be a bigger learning curve than I thought.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:13 AM   #8
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
KOReader is an entirely different reader from Nickel. Nickel is the default Kobo firmware. NickelMenu is a custom menu *inside* Nickel that launches KOReader. The Kobo boots on Nickel. And did you see my post in the other thread? I explained the GDrive thing And congrats on your new Forma!
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:05 AM   #9
RowdyRuff
Connoisseur
RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Forma, Nook ST
Quote:
Best Buy of all places.
They have a sale $274 Canadian, and because they didn't have stock when I went for it and on the phone was told they did (only one which looked like an open box), and I drove from outside the city for it.... they did find a new one, sealed, and offered $250 Canadian.
I would definitely take the plunge at that price, but am hoping that if it's a Forma replacement we're expecting, that it's build, lighting and buttons are of sufficient quality to justify Kobo's recommended retail price.

Congrats on nabbing yourself an absolute bargain! I love that bargain feeling so much.
RowdyRuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:20 AM   #10
jgbout
Groupie

Haha, a discount takes the sting out 8)

Elektron- yup, thank you for the gDoc guide, saw it 8) I think I'll manage that. Koreader I'm not sure, with the added launcher install, not sure if kfmon or nickelmenu, and have to be able to do it from chromebook. I'll see how adventurous I feel once I get it. I'm just praying there are no button or screen issues to delay getting going.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:26 AM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Hey, I've never been able to get it to organize according to my arrangement of file names. I've created collections, and within the collection I've not been able to list them in published order.

Disregard....... you said in Koreader.
I thought Koreader was more a utility for viewing a book how you want.., so it's also it's own library too? Like the Kobo app for example, but instead Koreader will populate it's own view of what books are available? And you can arrange how you want? It will see anything in Kobo library, gDrive (if set up), etc.. ?

I seem to have a lot of misconceptions. Does Koreader actually replace the Kobo homepage where you see your collections, separate books etc..?

I'm a little nervous this might be a bigger learning curve than I thought.
Just set up folders/directories just like you would on a computer. It's not collections like you set up in calibre for example. Koreader uses actual normal computer-like folders/directories. You can add subfolders for series under author. Then you name the files so they appear in the order you want to see them. I presume Koreader lists them alphabetically. There may be more options. I suggest you ask on the koreader sub-forum here. They are super-helpful. IMO folders is the best and simplest way to organize books. Install Koreader and find out. It is excellent software, though it has A LOT of features, so there is a small learning curve. But I love it.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:32 AM   #12
jgbout
Groupie

Thanks P
with Koreader you install "either" kfmon or nikelmenu, correct? would you recommend one over the other?

I'll check out the koreader forum too - thanks
Old 03-16-2021, 10:38 AM   #13
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Quote:
Thanks P
with Koreader you install "either" kfmon or nikelmenu, correct? would you recommend one over the other?

I'll check out the koreader forum too - thanks
No, you have to install *both* NickelMenu *and* KFMon. KFMon is the file monitor, and NM is the thing that launches it. They work together. Use the OCP and extract it manually, but don't forget to stop Nickel from scanning hidden files
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:42 AM   #14
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
snip

Now PArt 2... if I could find a way to itemize novels in a series according to proper reading order, but sadly I won't be on a PC, so can't use any of the programs that would do it.

One draw back isn't much to complain about

Again,
Thanks !

Hopefully I don't brick the thing!
You have a chrome book just install a Linux distro on to a usb drive, install calibre. Then when you need to use calibre just boot your chrome book from the usb drive.

https://chromebooki.com/how-to-enabl...on-chromebook/

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:44 AM   #15
jgbout
Groupie

gbm-- I believe my chrome has linux built in (has chrome, android and linux)