Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-31-2021, 01:16 PM   #16
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
So I'm already looking to see whether an investment brings me an advantage, albeit a marginal one - I don't see any at color-EInk.
It would make even more sense for me to light a cigar or the wood in the fireplace with these banknotes.
Agreed.. if you want color you need a tablet with a conventional LCD display. eInk in color just isn't there yet and may never be because of the physical limitations of the display technology. The only good thing about the Onyx Max Color (I imagine that will be next) will be people selling their black and white ones so I can get a cheap Max Lumi!
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:20 PM   #17
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Hello,
aside the quality of the manual and the almost useless book store on the left column, it's an android device.
It should have shown by default on your computer like a whatever else disk and drag and drop should have worked.
Maybe the usb cable was defective.
Did you managed to have an impression of the color screen, maybe using the note app ?
My bet is they were using a Mac. MacOS doesn't natively support MTP like Windows or Linux so you need to use a program like Android File Transfer to see and transfer files off and on.

EDIT: Whoops didn't see rest of thread for some reason...ignore or delete.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2021, 02:53 PM   #18
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NG,NSTG,NST,AuraHD,OnyxT68,Lynx, BoyueT62,NGP,Aura1,Oasis,Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_ View Post
Agreed.. if you want color you need a tablet with a conventional LCD display. eInk in color just isn't there yet and may never be because of the physical limitations of the display technology. The only good thing about the Onyx Max Color (I imagine that will be next) will be people selling their black and white ones so I can get a cheap Max Lumi!
I guess it depends on what your expectations are. If you expect the same thing as you would from an LCD screen, obviously you won't get that now.
If you're like me and you know and accept the eink limitations just bc you love the eink advantages, then having a color eink screen is an immense plus
dnastase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:24 PM   #19
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Actually I don't see any problems. OP complains about first world problems.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:48 AM   #20
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Just got my Nova 3 Color yesterday. Haven't had much time to play with it yet, but my initial impressions are quite favourable.

That said, I have never experienced so much difficulty getting Google Play up and running. If I were new to Boox and Android, I likely would have been very frustrated.

The problem was that, once Google Play was enabled, none of the downloaded apps would show up in the Apps section of the device. I ended up having to do 3 factory resets before the problem somehow resolved itself. I have never had to do that on any of my other Boox devices or on any other Android device. Very strange.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2021, 11:23 AM   #21
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Just got my Nova 3 Color yesterday. Haven't had much time to play with it yet, but my initial impressions are quite favourable.

That said, I have never experienced so much difficulty getting Google Play up and running. If I were new to Boox and Android, I likely would have been very frustrated.

The problem was that, once Google Play was enabled, none of the downloaded apps would show up in the Apps section of the device. I ended up having to do 3 factory resets before the problem somehow resolved itself. I have never had to do that on any of my other Boox devices or on any other Android device. Very strange.
Hey, I am happy that it worked out well for you! Did you put the Kindle app on it as yet? And any of the better comic readers? What did you think of the color? Have you ever seen one of the Pocketbook screens to compare? When I tried it on a comic (and I only had it for a few hours before it went back so I may well have missed something) I got terrible ghosting on it. Were you able to control the ghosting better than I was? Or maybe it was not so bad for you. Anyway, congrats on it and enjoy! I am personally still trying to source the Inkpad Color. That may prove hopeless <G>. Well maybe color eink readers are like the three or four COVID vaccines. The best one is the one you can get!
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:20 PM   #22
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Hey, I am happy that it worked out well for you! Did you put the Kindle app on it as yet? And any of the better comic readers? What did you think of the color? Have you ever seen one of the Pocketbook screens to compare? When I tried it on a comic (and I only had it for a few hours before it went back so I may well have missed something) I got terrible ghosting on it. Were you able to control the ghosting better than I was? Or maybe it was not so bad for you. Anyway, congrats on it and enjoy! I am personally still trying to source the Inkpad Color. That may prove hopeless <G>. Well maybe color eink readers are like the three or four COVID vaccines. The best one is the one you can get!
It will take me a while of playing with it until I can make any definitive judgment on this device. However, I know enough already that I will not be returning it. It suits my needs as it currently is and I can live with its idiosyncrasies, although I do hope that they will fix some of those idiosyncrasies in future software updates.

As for the Kindle app, I doubt that I will be installing that as I only have one Kindle book which I have already converted to epub.

I do have some manga in pdf and jpeg formats. Mostly scanned by myself. So I don't really foresee downloading any manga apps. I like manga, but I am not that into them to look into dedicated apps... at least not yet. However, my initial impression is that if I were primarily interested in manga, I would want a larger colour eink device. I think a 10.3" device would probably be more ideal for such purposes. But, for most people interested in manga, I think that a regular tablet would probably be more suitable and certainly cheaper.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote