Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-12-2021, 04:47 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
To me, the sleep cover would be very inconvenient:

Open the sleep cover to wake it up.
Remove the sleep cover to read, because I think it adds bulk and I prefer to read without one.
Read.
Put the sleep cover back on.
Close the sleep cover.

IMO, YMMV.

The cover also makes it nicer to hold the Reader. So you get some protection. You get the sleep functionality. It's nicer to hold. And much less chance of waring out the power button. A win-win-win-win situation.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:00 PM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The cover also makes it nicer to hold the Reader.
No it doesn't.
Quote:
So you get some protection.
I don't need the protection.
Quote:
You get the sleep functionality.
I don't want the sleep functionality with all the negatives it brings.
Quote:
It's nicer to hold.
You already said that in this post. No it doesn't. It adds bulk and weight making it more cumbersome to hold.
Quote:
And much less chance of waring out the power button.
But it has so many negatives. And I have yet to wear out a power button on a Kobo device. As a matter of fact, I don't recall ever wearing out a power button.
Quote:
A win-win-win-win situation.
How did you come up with that? There is nothing positive about it.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:52 AM   #18
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The cover also makes it nicer to hold the Reader.
I know you've been asked this before repeatedly and you've chosen to ignore it, but I'm going to try once more: you don't know more about my disability than I do. That much more weight on the ereader is counterproductive for me. It does not make it "nicer" to hold. For me. The whole point of me getting a Forma would be the flexible substrate (I'm not game to use a glass-substrate device naked.)

Last edited by meeera; 04-13-2021 at 02:42 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:43 AM   #19
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Honestly, this is the sort of personal choice that hopefully shouldn't lead to a holy war.

(And FWIW, I'm on team cover.)
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:42 AM   #20
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Honestly, this is the sort of personal choice that hopefully shouldn't lead to a holy war.

(And FWIW, I'm on team cover.)
It's definitely a personal choice. I've always used a cover on glass-substrate devices. And the vast majority of people don't think they know better than others what they should choose...
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:09 AM   #21
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I don't know, it seemed like it was getting a little heated a bit earlier.

Also, the Oasis 2/3 is probably approaching "too thin" if not already there.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:17 PM   #22
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
To me, the sleep cover would be very inconvenient:

Open the sleep cover to wake it up.
Remove the sleep cover to read, because I think it adds bulk and I prefer to read without one.
Read.
Put the sleep cover back on.
Close the sleep cover.

IMO, YMMV.

I totally agree. This is why I use a sleeve and not a sleep cover
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:30 PM   #23
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
Pushing a button is as fast as opening a sleep cover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Certainly not with the Forma.
I was referring to my Oasis. But you are right, the button of the Forma is a real pain, even on the Tolino version of the Forma.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:26 PM   #24
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
With my disability, adding any weight isn't an option. Despite having broken 3 Kindles over the years, I'm not putting a cover one on. I just make sure I buy them used and (relatively) cheap.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:59 AM   #25
synecdoche
synecdoche began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
To circle back on this, I did end up ordering that cover. It's fine. Does add a bit of weight but I like the feeling of "opening" up my book and I think that if whenever we do open up enough that I'm commuting on mass transit again I'll probably like having it to protect my device when I stash it in my backpack.
synecdoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:21 PM   #26
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
I was referring to my Oasis. But you are right, the button of the Forma is a real pain, even on the Tolino version of the Forma.
Let's hope Kobo gets it right on the second version!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
covers, kindle, moko, oasis