Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-10-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
larisa0001
larisa0001 doesn't litterlarisa0001 doesn't litter

Device: PalmPilot
Greetings!

Hi all; it's great to find this forum. I've been addicted to e-books for a very long time, but don't have an e-reader yet. (I use my PalmPilot) While I love the Palm, its screen is rather hard on the eyes for prolonged reading, so I'm thinking of upgrading to one of those fancy e-ink thingies. Not quite sure which e-ink thingy I should acquire, though, hence my arrival here.
larisa0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Larissa.

You'll find the perfect "e-ink thingy" here, just wait and see.

Enjoy the forums!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Welcome to the forum larisa!

I am sure you will find loads of useful advice -- be sure to check the wiki (link at the very top of the page).
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello larisa0001
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi larisa0001 and welcome to MobileRead. I used to read with a PDA but and eInk reader is far superior! Be sure and let us know what you decide on
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello Larisa, and welcome to MobileRead.

As desertgrandma and Curly have said, we have lots of information on readers that utilize e-Ink displays. You didn't include your location in your profile, so I'm not sure where in the world you reside. Unfortunately, that makes a difference when deciding which device to buy and where you can purchase the books for your reader. The publishing world has very strict geographic distribution "rights" and (for example) a UK distributor doesn't want a US distributor poaching on his territory. Because of this (and I believe because of networking issues), Amazon is not selling the Kindle outside of the USA. Sony just released its reader in Germany. You may (or may not) want to stick with the devices being sold and supported in your country.

I own two e-Ink readers -- so far. I'm a gadget junkie and I'm thinking I'm going to have to break down and get myself at least two more, but there are four readers that I'm currently lusting after, and now that Amazon sells Kindle books for the iPod Touch, that's on my list as well.

Enjoy the MobileRead site. It's full of nice people and lots of information to help you decide which reader you might buy.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Hello and welcome! I have trouble reading on backlit stuff, my eyes love my Sony Reader
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #8
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
It's tough to decide... each reader has something special.
Get a basic idea of what's out there, in your price range.
See what each device offers and decide which features
are important to YOU.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote