Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 06-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Poe, Edgar Allan: Complete Works | v.2.1 | Update 23 Apr 2017

Click image for larger version

Name:	poe3.jpg
Views:	1377
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	87554

This volume collects the complete works of Edgar Allan Poe (Wikipedia). It started out as a restructuring and reformatting of the 1903 “Raven Edition” of his works—and then it grew.

I have rearranged the texts according to genres in the order of first publications (though still using the later revised versions). I added all the stories, poems, essays, and some miscellanea that were missing in the “Raven Edition”. Thus, you’ll find in this collection:

THE TALES
Metzengerstein, The Duc de L’Omelette, A Tale of Jerusalem, Loss of Breath, Bon-Bon, Ms. Found in a Bottle, The Assignation, Berenice, Morella, Lionizing, The Unparalleled Adventures of One Hans Pfaal, King Pest, Shadow—A Parable, Four Beasts in One—The Homo-Cameleopard, Mystification, Silence—A Fable, Ligeia, How to Write a Blackwood Article, A Predicament, The Devil in the Belfry, The Man that Was Used Up, The Fall of the House of Usher, William Wilson, The Conversation of Eiros and Charmion, Why the Little Frenchman Wears his Hand in a Sling, The Business Man, The Man of the Crowd, The Murders in the Rue Morgue, A Descent into the Maelström, The Island of the Fay, The Colloquy of Monos and Una, Never Bet the Devil Your Head, Eleonora, Three Sundays in a Week, The Oval Portrait, The Masque of the Red Death, The Landscape Garden, The Mystery of Marie Rogêt, The Pit and the Pendulum, The Tell-Tale Heart, The Gold-Bug, The Black Cat, Diddling, The Spectacles, A Tale of the Ragged Mountains, The Premature Burial, Mesmeric Revelation, The Oblong Box, The Angel of the Odd, Thou Art the Man, The Literary Life of Thingum Bob, Esq, The Purloined Letter, The Thousand-and-Second Tale of Scheherazade, Some Words with a Mummy, The Power of Words, The Imp of the Perverse, The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether, The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar, The Sphinx, The Cask of Amontillado, The Domain of Arnheim, Mellonta Tauta, Hop-Frog, Von Kempelen and his Discovery, X-ing a Paragrab, Landor’s Cottage.

THE POEMS
Poetry, O, Tempora! O, Mores!, Tamerlane, Song, Dreams, Spirits of the Dead, Evening Star, Imitation, Stanzas, A Dream, The Happiest Day, The Lake —— to ——, To Margaret, Alone, Sonnet—to Science, Al Aaraaf, Romance, To ——, To the River——, To M——, Fairy-Land, To Isaac Lea, An Acrostic, Elizabeth, To Helen, Israfel, The City in the Sea, The Sleeper, A Pæan, The Valley of Unrest, Enigma, Fanny, The Coliseum, Serenade, To One in Paradise, Hymn, May Queen Ode, Spiritual Song, Latin Hymn, Bridal Ballad, To Zante, The Haunted Palace, Silence, Lines On Joe Locke, The Conqueror Worm, Lenore, A Campaign Song, Dream-Land, Impromptu. To Kate Carol, To F——, Eulalie, Epigram for Wall Street, The Raven, The Divine Right of Kings, To Frances S. Osgood, A Valentine, Beloved Physician, Deep in Earth, To Marie Louise (Shew), Ulalume, Lines on Ale, To Marie Louise (Shew), An Enigma, To Helen, A Dream within a Dream, Eldorado, For Annie, To My Mother, Annabel Lee, The Bells.

THE NOVELS
Narrative of A. Gordon Pym, The Journal of Julius Rodman.

THE ESSAYS
Palæstine, Maelzel’s Chess-Player, Letter to B——, American Novel-Writing, The Capitol at Washington, Instinct vs Reason—A Black Cat, The Philosophy of Furniture, Morning on the Wissahiccon, Some Account of Stonehenge, The Giant’s Dance, A Druidical Ruin in England, A Few Words on Secret Writing, Exordium, Harper’s Ferry, The Balloon-Hoax, Byron and Miss Chaworth, Pay of American Authors, Some Secrets of the Magazine Prison-House, Anastatic Printing, Street-Paving, American Poetry, The Philosophy of Composition, A Few Words on Etiquette, Eureka: A Prose Poem, The Rationale of Verse, The Poetic Principle.

THE MISCELLANEA
Autography, Pinakidia, Literary Small Talk, Intemperance, A Chapter on Science and Art, Cabs, Omniana, Prospectus of The Penn Magazine, Autobiographical Note, A Chapter on Autography, Prospectus of The Stylus, Souvenirs of Youth, The Head of St. John The Baptist, Doings of Gotham, A Moving Chapter, Desultory Notes on Cats, A Chapter of Suggestions, Marginalia, The Literati, Mr. Poe’s Reply to Mr. English and Others, Fifty Suggestions, Preface to “Tamerlane And Minor Poems,” Prologue to “The Folio Club”, Prefaces and Introduction to “The Conchologist’s First Book,” Preface to “Tales of the Grotesque and Arabesque,” Preface to “The Raven and Other Poems.”

THE PLAY
Politian.

THE CRITICISM
The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe, vols. 8-13, ed. by James A. Harrison, Thomas Y. Crowell & Company 1902.

THE LETTERS
The Letters of Edgar Allan Poe, 2nd edition, 2 vols., ed. by J. W. Ostrom, The Gordian Press 1966.

The collection starts with the three introductory texts from the “Raven Edition”, but does not (yet) contain Poe’s letters, his literary criticism (apart from ‘The Literati’) or the minor Miscellanea (it does now: see update v.2.0).

I have checked and reformatted the texts, with special classes for poems, subtitles, section breaks, etc. Fonts are embedded for the greek words, which I have restored in case they were missing. The quotes are curly now, the footnotes are active, previously missing images are back in the texts, and at the end of each title is a period, of course (You’re welcome, Prestidigitweeze). Dates of first publication are given at the end of the texts.

There are the usual tables of contents for the whole collection and the separate sections, links at the end of each text/chapter to bring you back to the ToCs, and alphabetical indexes for stories, poems, and essays, so you can easily find everything you’re looking for.

Best,
pynch.

Update | v.2.0 | 8 May 2016
Added the Literary Criticism (The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe, vols. 8-13, ed. by James A. Harrison, Thomas Y. Crowell & Company 1902), the Letters (The Letters of Edgar Allan Poe, 2nd edition, 2 vols., ed. by J. W. Ostrom, The Gordian Press 1966), and the missing Miscellanea.

Update | v.2.1 | 23 Apr 2017
I have replaced the tales and novels with the texts of the critical editions by T.O. Mabbott and B.R. Pollin and proofed them against their copy-texts, making sure their emendations are included.

Previous Downloads: 2880.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Poe - New Raven Edition v2.1.epub (4.68 MB, 2825 views)

Last edited by pynch; 04-23-2017 at 04:37 AM.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
So now we've got two complete Poe's. lol.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128720
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2012, 03:41 AM   #3
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
I don't think it's possible to get too much Poe!

This looks really great, I appreciate the hard work. If I may make a suggestion (take it or leave it, but please don't be offended)... a nested Table of Contents would be nice and make it slightly easier to navigate through the book.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No offense taken. The e-reader ToC only has the main sections because some models show hierarchical ToCs as long lists that would be harder to navigate (By the way, thanks for the tip, brucewelch). That’s why the detailed ToCs are only inline. And then there’s the index, of course. If you still prefer the nested external ToC, Sigil could change that for you quite easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post

This looks really great, I appreciate the hard work. If I may make a suggestion (take it or leave it, but please don't be offended)... a nested Table of Contents would be nice and make it slightly easier to navigate through the book.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Thanks for this.

It's a very well crafted eBook.
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Thanks for this, I was going to do this myself but I never get much time these days and it's taking me forever to proof-read my current book (White Fang by Jack London), only able to spend about an hour a day doing it if I'm lucky. And seeing as I've got my hands on 1906 copy, I need to do it right.

Oh well, I should get there within the month (I don't know how you knock them out so fast). In the mean time I can have a read of some Poe.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

The Poe Omnibus I made has a working TOC.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:47 AM   #8
pynch
why in?

Hi ghostyjack, nice to hear that Jack London gets a proper treatment, I can imagine how much work that is. It may seem that I ‘knock them out fast,’ but I actually started working on some of my collections last year, before I began to release them two months ago. I’m lucky to have some more time available and I spent some weekends on this, as the original Gutenberg texts were almost unreadable (the unformatted poems and the interspersed footnotes being a particular nuisance).
Have fun reading the Poe, best, pynch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
Thanks for this, I was going to do this myself but I never get much time these days and it's taking me forever to proof-read my current book (White Fang by Jack London), only able to spend about an hour a day doing it if I'm lucky. And seeing as I've got my hands on 1906 copy, I need to do it right.

Oh well, I should get there within the month (I don't know how you knock them out so fast). In the mean time I can have a read of some Poe.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:03 AM   #9
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Thank you, crich70, for your earlier Poe contribution! While not every upload may get a "thank you" response posted, that doesn't mean we don't appreciate the work the uploader has put into it.

When I have more time I may download both and compare both to see which I like better.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you, crich70, for your earlier Poe contribution! While not every upload may get a "thank you" response posted, that doesn't mean we don't appreciate the work the uploader has put into it.

When I have more time I may download both and compare both to see which I like better.
Thanks. Though I haven't compared my version to Pynch's I know that different readers might like different versions. I did have some problems with the poems lining up right for some reason, and maybe Pynch had better luck there. Mine was made from the 5 volume set at Gutenberg which might explain the margin problem. I never have been exactly certain of what caused it.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pynch View Post
Hi ghostyjack, nice to hear that Jack London gets a proper treatment, I can imagine how much work that is. It may seem that I ‘knock them out fast,’ but I actually started working on some of my collections last year, before I began to release them two months ago. I’m lucky to have some more time available and I spent some weekends on this, as the original Gutenberg texts were almost unreadable (the unformatted poems and the interspersed footnotes being a particular nuisance).
Have fun reading the Poe, best, pynch.
He's done a fair few books and it will take some time to complete them.

My plan is to get all his work out in ePub as we don't have any here on this site. Thought I'd start with a favourite of mine first (I've even got the pictures that the book originally contained, will need to check their copyright first before including them) and then see which to do next.

If I can do as nice a job as you've done of your books, then I'll be happy. I can then go back and revisit my Lovecraft books and try and polish them up.

After I get all these out, I'll give some thought to putting together an omnibus version as well so as to save people downloading lots of books if they don't want to.

Last edited by ghostyjack; 06-13-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
If the edition is before 1923 in the US (or 1921) in Canada, the images should be public domain. (Certainly public domain in US.)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
ghostyjack
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
If the edition is before 1923 in the US (or 1921) in Canada, the images should be public domain. (Certainly public domain in US.)
1906 is definately before that date. I'm in the UK though, so will need to make sure that it wasn't renewed here. I suspect though I'm ok to put them in but don't want to run the risk.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:14 AM   #14
pynch
why in?

It’s the <pre>-classes (as in preformatted) which keep the poem lines from refloating and get them cut off at the end. If you want to change them, I found a fairly good description here of how to format poems adequately (you should add "text-align: left", though, in the specification of div.poem, if standard text is justified).

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Thanks. Though I haven't compared my version to Pynch's I know that different readers might like different versions. I did have some problems with the poems lining up right for some reason, and maybe Pynch had better luck there. Mine was made from the 5 volume set at Gutenberg which might explain the margin problem. I never have been exactly certain of what caused it.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:20 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
I'm in the UK though, so will need to make sure that it wasn't renewed here. I suspect though I'm ok to put them in but don't want to run the risk.
I believe in the UK (and the rest of the EU) it's only the year of the author's death that matters (the author of the text, or the illustrations, or the notes...).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote