Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #136
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
oh, you do want to get the audiobooks - they're great.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #137
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
+1 for the audiobooks. Good job I had plenty of credits on audible.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #138
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
That reminds me - I've got some credits built up on Audible so it's time to pick up the rest of the Liaden books.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:48 AM   #139
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
An FYI update from Sharon Lee's Blog:

Quote:
From the hey, that’s cool pile. . .

We hear from Madame the Agent, who gets her Locus before we get ours, that Necessity’s Child has hit the Locus Bestselling Hardcover list at Number Two. Not too shabby — and you did it yourselves! Well done, and thank you.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #140
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just put the Audible for Android app on my NooK HD and was able to download the Liaden audiobooks to it. So now I can use my device to play them out loud (it has built-in speakers), via headphones, or playing the through my car speakers. Win, win for me.
Advert
Old 05-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #141
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Definitely a win. Though I tend to not read/listen on my Kindle Fire, it does sync nicely to my iPhone, so I can go back and forth. And both connect up automatically with the car. And these are well narrated books.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #142
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Ok kids...

My roommate, who is completely in love with the Liaden Universe and has read all the novels and short stories available, has convinced me to read/reread the books. I have read the Agent of Change arc but not much else.

I've decided to make an attempt to read the stories chronologically and ran across this page on LibraryThing:

http://www.librarything.com/series/L...ological+Order

Any opinions on this order? I've managaed to accumulate all the novels/short stories (including a couple that seem to be only available on Baen's website).
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #143
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

I can't remember exactly what each short story is about, so I can't help you with that sequencing.

I read Local Custom and Scout's Progress first, then Conflict of Honors, Agent of Change, Carpe Diem, Plan B and I Dare. I hadn't read any of the chapbooks/short stories up to that point in time, so I was totally shocked when Daav reappeared in the Agent of Change sequence. I think I read Balance of Trade after that.

I actually liked reading Crystal Soldier and Crystal Dragon after the fact, because I could appreciate the backstory more - especially the Tree's - and it provided the tie-in to Balance of Trade with the appearance of Uncle.

Now I've read the short stories and am following the Theo arc.

I wonder if the series works as well reading it chronologically? Realizing there were short stories after I had read the novels was like being gifted with a box of chocolates.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:12 AM   #144
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For the first time through, I prefer to read in Published Order, since that's essentially the order they were written in. But on a re-read, which I did last year, I started from the first novel (Crystal Soldier, and went through them in chronological order. With the caveat that some of them overlap a good deal as we have the Theo arc occurring at the same time as part of the Korval arc. The order in the Librarything link appears right, but I can't really vouch for the short stories, only the novels.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #145
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had actually read most of the short stories after completing the Agent of Change arc and they were full of nice little fill-in back stories. About 1/3 of the way through Crystal Soldier and have already picked up things to also fill in AofC arc. Think I'll just stick to the LibraryThing order and see how things go.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #146
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
I don't think this has been posted yet:

Trade Secret
A Liaden Universe® Adventure
Sharon Lee and Steve Miller
Approximately 126,600 words
Submitted: May 25, 2013

artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #147
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Yup. It was posted earlier by AnemicOak as the planned scheduled submission, but it's always good to get the confirmation. Now, can we please have the eARC! I seriously want to spend some money!

Last edited by CRussel; 05-30-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #148
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Ok.. My never ending chronological read of the Liaden Universe.

Loved Crystal Soldier, but I'm struggling with Crystal Dragon. A little less that half way through and I'm just not enjoying it as much.

Keep pushing...
Old 05-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #149
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Crystal Dragon has some elements that are a bit of a struggle, I'd agree. But it sets the stage for all sorts of things that happen later in the series. I'm always of mixed feelings about the book. It's certainly my least favourite, but still one that I can't ignore during a re-read.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #150
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I think the Crystal duology is probably the weakest in the series.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote