Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
Larpam10
Larpam10 began at the beginning.

Device: sharper image literati
Some advise for a newbie (sharper image Literati)

On Christmas Eve I had a discussion with my eldest son. He and I both agreed that we could never use an ereader. We are both avid readers and did not want to give up our beloved paper for a screen (although he has an ipad, black berry and several computers and I have an ipod, netbook, laptop etc).

My wife received a Macy's gift card which she did not want. I walked into to Macy's and stumbled on the Sharper Image Literati for just $59.99. I really did not need anything from Macy's so I thought, what the heck, I will give it a try. I found several books on Kobo I wanted to read and downloaded them via wifi to the device. What really impressed me is the ability to magnify the page, hold it in one hand and place it flat in my lap or on a table without loosing my place. Now, I can finally eat a greasy burger in a fast food joint without struggling to maintain my place and getting the pages all greasy.

I cannot figure out what the specs are. One site describes the built in memory as 256mg and another at 560mg. Anyone know? My impression is that at 256mg, it will hold about 250 books and of course at 560mg, it will hold about 500 books (is this information correct?) Frankly, with that kind of storage, I really do not think I will need to use an SD card (or am I wrong?)

I would like to buy an extra charger (car and home). The sharper image site is no help. I did notice that the charger seems to be the same size as the 1st generation kindle. Does anyone know for sure?

Any other advise and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a very happy new year.
Larpam10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I must admit, I've never heard of that. I'd check the subforums listed above this one to find a place to ask this question. Welcome to MobileRead!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Larpam10 and welcome to MobileRead.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:22 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
SweetAngi420
SweetAngi420 began at the beginning.

Device: Literati
I was a lot like you, avid reader who didn't want to give up paper for a screen. My boyfriend bought me a Literati as a christmas present. Now I'm trying to put it into use & am having some serious troubles with that. I am trying to research as best I can but I keep seeming to run in to dead ends. Any advise?
SweetAngi420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Is this your reader? http://www.literatireader.com/

A friend of mine at work got that one and has had a few problems such as how to get books on it. The book is not much help. Not sure about an extra charger, does it charge when USB is plugged in? You can use an SD card to increase the memory if you want to as well.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Welcome to MR from the Netherlands and I'll hope you get your problems solved soon
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
Larpam10

Thanks to all. I have had no problem downloading from the Kobo store. I am able to download books directly to the Literati via wifi and have added other books via SD card downloaded directly from my laptop to the SD card. I did run into a problem trying to do the same thing from Borders.

I also contacted sharper image and did find out that the chargers are the same size as the 1st generation kindle chargers, so no problem.

It would have been better if the Literati was not color. Weight would have been lighter and battery life would have been better. Other then that, I enjoy the reading experience from the Literati and for $60 including a cover for the book, it is a great deal
Old 01-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #10
MrHatandClogs
MrHatandClogs doesn't litterMrHatandClogs doesn't litter

Device: Literati
Hello I have a Literati and after figuring out all the kinks it is great.

To anyone have trouble adding books/.pdfs to their literati, please go here for assistance.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=116434
MrHatandClogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #11
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
well, with those figures about built-in memory, I think you should find the SD card more helpful than you think it is.

but hey, some websites state that Literati sharper image is sold at $159.99? how could you get it at $59.99? (did you forget the number 1?)

anyway, IMO, Literati is rated pretty low compared to other brands of e-readers (no offense!)

Last edited by maianhvk; 01-14-2011 at 12:46 AM.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your new company, Larpan. Why not try your question in one of the more specific sub-forums here? Very best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #13
Larpam10

I would not have paid $159.99 for the device when you can buy an Android Tablet for almost that price. After I bought it at Macy's for $59.99, I found out that Best Buy had it for $49.99. It is not the best ereader, but it was certainly worth the price.