Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Care to share the facts? They are discounting the current models, how do you make the jump from here to "are getting out of the hardware business"? For all we know they could be working on the next-gen tablets.
I notice a lack of response even though Nate has been on MR tonight. Did I catch Nate in posting an untrue article?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #47
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I would like to see them put out one more Android eInk device with an HD screen like the Kobo Aura, but I'm not expecting any more tablets. It was pretty clear when they added Google Play that they were cutting their losses.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:39 AM   #48
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
It was pretty clear when they added Google Play that they were cutting their losses.
I agree
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:27 AM   #49
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I would like to see them put out one more Android eInk device with an HD screen like the Kobo Aura, but I'm not expecting any more tablets. It was pretty clear when they added Google Play that they were cutting their losses.
I must admit as a novice to Nook I only bought a Nook Tablet when they included Google Play. I wanted a 7inch tablet with the Kindle app. I was waiting for a retina screen ipad mini as I need a decent PDF reader as well (I never considered the Kindle Fire) but with the addition of play I could read my Kindle books as on it and add in an SDcard to get storage up to the 32Gb level on the mid range ipad mini.

It doesn't make financial sense for Nook to allow the Kindle app yet without it I would never have bought a device. I may be a registered customer now but I have no plans to actually purchase anything, apart from the odd app, from Nook.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #50
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I notice a lack of response even though Nate has been on MR tonight. Did I catch Nate in posting an untrue article?
It was an opinion piece.
An opinion can be wrong, but that doesn't make it untrue.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #51
ab78727
Connoisseur
ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable2 Sony-DPT-S1 iPad9g
Guys, you guys are playing right into that blogger's hands. He is playing you like a fiddle since he lives and dies by clicks to his tawdry e-TP (I now label them click-suckers). Read "Trust me, I'm Lying" to see how the circle of viciousness works - the blogger posts a badly written speculative article and then taunts you lot to drive clicks to its blog and pockets the cash for ad sales. I question the effectiveness of forum moderators who allow such behaviors to continue. Notice how the blogger posted to call you an idiot. You can rest assured that drove some outraged BN fans to his site. As they used to on Usenet: don't feed the troll. I also hope the moderation improves where News sites not mean speculation and articles without facts are removed from a high quality respected forum such as MR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ab78727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #52
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab78727 View Post
I also hope the moderation improves where News sites not mean speculation and articles without facts are removed from a high quality respected forum such as MR.
Just so you know, the blogger in question is also a moderator on this forum.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #53
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Guys, you guys are playing right into that blogger's hands. He is playing you like a fiddle since he lives and dies by clicks to his tawdry e-TP (I now label them click-suckers). Read "Trust me, I'm Lying" to see how the circle of viciousness works - the blogger posts a badly written speculative article and then taunts you lot to drive clicks to its blog and pockets the cash for ad sales. I question the effectiveness of forum moderators who allow such behaviors to continue. Notice how the blogger posted to call you an idiot. You can rest assured that drove some outraged BN fans to his site. As they used to on Usenet: don't feed the troll. I also hope the moderation improves where News sites not mean speculation and articles without facts are removed from a high quality respected forum such as MR.
Nope. This is what I really think.

Also, I don't post links to my blog so there's no reason to "question the effectiveness of forum moderators who allow such behaviors to continue".

And LOL. If you think this is going to generate much ad revenue then I have a bridge to sell you.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #54
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Just so you know, the blogger in question is also a moderator on this forum.
Given that a number of members got away with being incredibly rude the last time one of my blog posts was debated, I do not see a cause for concern.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #55
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Given that a number of members got away with being incredibly rude the last time one of my blog posts was debated, I do not see a cause for concern.
Neither do I. I was just pointing this out to the poster. FWIW, I agree with your assessment on B&N.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #56
ab78727
Connoisseur
ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thumbs up

I know this is a forum for debate but the following things stand out for me:

- What is the motivation and expectation of starting a deathwatch on any brand? How would you feel if someone started a deathwatch on you?

- I *never* expected a moderator on this board to engage in, much less initiate, such discussions.

I am under no illusions that this forum would be a BN lovefest but deathwatch and speculation? Really? What could motivate you to do this? If you turn out to be true (and I hope you don't), then what? You will feel vindicated? Smug? You will make money? I genuinely don't understand the motivation, I really don't.

While I have been plenty frustrated with BN (ask me how many hours I spent customizing my HD+ to run free of all the junk that was on it and all the junk that reinstalled itself on every reboot), I do want them to thrive. Why? Cause they are a competitor to Amazon, they support ePubs, and I don't like monopolies. They also have good customer service.

The trouble with BN, IMO, is that some OCD product manager got in charge and made terrible usability decisions based on a very naive understanding of "walled garden". Such people either get thrown off the ship or they end up sinking the ship and swimming away to their next victim. I hope it is the former for BN's sake.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #57
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
What is it with the witch-hunt against Nate the Great? His blog is fun and speculative. You guys seriously need to loosen up. Nate, keep it up. These guys' views are dull as ditch-water. There is nothing offensive about what you post.

Oh yeah, btw, B&N hardware is dead. Put money on it. I don't like it. None of us do. I've got a Nook STR and it's great. I'm circling the Nook tablet clearance sales like a vulture.

Last edited by Rizla; 06-20-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #58
ab78727
Connoisseur

Witch hunt? All righty then.

Fine, I will take that bet - since you didn't bet anything tangible, neither will I . I will bet that BN survives and that they will figure out a better HW and eBook strategy, just like they did by including Google Play in their tablets.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #59
jpisini
jpisini began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
If people are on the fence because B&N may cease to exist I say don't wait get one now. It is a great device it has Google Play so even if they go under you still have that option. It has also already been rooted and CM 10.1 has been ported so worst case you turn it into an Android tablet just like any other.

If you are worried about books make sure to buy open non DRM books from other places no loss if they go out of business.
jpisini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #60
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I know this is a forum for debate but the following things stand out for me:

- What is the motivation and expectation of starting a deathwatch on any brand? How would you feel if someone started a deathwatch on you?

I think pointing out that a company or that a product may be on its last legs is quite appropriate and informative for members of a forum. Some members (not all, of course) may choose to avoid the product or, in the case of the special prices, choose to stock up on on one or two devices.

Making an analogy between a piece of equipment going under [ceasing to exist] and a human being [dying] is, in my opinion, a very poor analogy.

The fact is, we really don't know what is going to happen. Speculation can be insightful and informative but, in the end, is only speculation.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote