Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
peepo
Enthusiast
peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k5
where is ssh?

# ssh
-sh: ssh: not found

checked /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin

find / ssh
find: ssh: No such file or directory

I can ssh into kindle...
/usr/bin/scp is present and used

foxed.

reminder this is Kindle Touch only

Last edited by peepo; 02-15-2013 at 07:39 AM.
peepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by peepo View Post
# ssh
-sh: ssh: not found

checked /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin

find / ssh
find: ssh: No such file or directory

I can ssh into kindle...
/usr/bin/scp is present and used

foxed.

reminder this is Kindle Touch only
ssh is the client program on your host computer, obviously you have that from the highlighted part of your post.

So are you looking for the ssh client on the Kindle or the ssh server on the Kindle?

The server on the Kindle is **not** named ssh.
It will be sshd (daemon) or one of the names used for the server by dropbear.
It just depends on what you installed to your Kindle (there is more than one networking package for the Kindles).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
/mnt/us/usbnet/bin/sshd
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

and for me

/mnt/base-us/usr/bin/ssh
/etc/upstart/sshd.conf
Old 02-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #5
peepo
Enthusiast
peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

on the Kindle Touch I would like to run:
$ ssh jaymini@192.168.15.20 -X
then say:
$ midori &
or similar

/mnt/base-us/usr/bin/ssh not present as yet...
/mnt/base-us/usr/ also not present...

/usr/sbin/sshd exists, but not clear to me how this would help...
ie sshd lets me login from another machine,
but this is not what I am trying to do

and once again thanks for the fantastic support
Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You want the ssh **CLIENT** on your Kindle Touch. Got It.

Depending on which USB networking package you installed, you may already have it.
Names (with links) to what you have already installed please.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
twobob

Quote:
on the Kindle Touch I would like to run:
$ ssh jaymini@192.168.15.20 -X
then say:
$ midori &
or similar

/mnt/base-us/usr/bin/ssh not present as yet...
/mnt/base-us/usr/ also not present...

/usr/sbin/sshd exists, but not clear to me how this would help...
ie sshd lets me login from another machine,
but this is not what I am trying to do

and once again thanks for the fantastic support
So... errr... WHY? What are you trying to do???

dev is the PC name on the kindle in my case:

[root@kindle root]# ssh me@dev
Quote:
me@dev's password:
Welcome to Linux Mint 13 Maya (GNU/Linux 3.2.0-35-generic i686)

Welcome to Linux Mint
* Documentation: http://www.linuxmint.com

Last login: Sun Feb 17 14:27:10 2013 from k
Cannot open display "default display"
me@dev ~ $
So at that point I would be "in"

However

me@dev ~ $ midori

would give
Quote:
Midori - Cannot open display:
Or
me@dev ~ $ DISPLAY=:0 midori

would work but open the browser on your PC not the kindle.

So... If you are trying to run a midori browser on the KINDLE that is in fact installed on the PC.. say so. as this is indeed possible.

if you are simply trying to start applications on your PC from KINDLE then you already have the solution.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
peepo
Enthusiast

installed Launcher and kterm

# ls /mnt/us/extensions/
helper kterm

but not 'extend' package as yet:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...:_.22Extend.22
these instructions are a little vague,
and I am not sure of the method or intention.
though clearly openssh is included.

is there another simpler way to install ssh client?
Old 02-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Which "K5" the K5-Touch or the K5-Paperwhite?

Install the USBnetworking package, which includes both dropbear and OpenSSH builds.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
peepo
Enthusiast

K5 touch have USBnetworking package and dropbear,

/usr/bin/dropbear

but...
Old 02-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
twobob

K5 Touch.

Install usbnetworking.

reboot.

done.

That's EXACTLY what I just demonstrated above with.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
twobob

Quote:
K5 touch have USBnetworking package and dropbear,

/usr/bin/dropbear

but...
[root@kindle root]# cat /mnt/us/bin/finder
Code:
#!/bin/sh
find / -iname '*'"$@"'*'
[root@kindle root]# finder dropbear
/mnt/us/usbnet/bin/dropbearmulti
/usr/sbin/dropbearmulti
/usr/bin/dropbear
/usr/local/etc/dropbear

[root@kindle root]# filegrabber /mnt/us/usr/bin/ssh
Code:
copying /mnt/us/usr/bin/ssh to /mnt/us/export/ssh/bin/ssh
Searching 880 user libs, 85 libs, 15 extended dirs

libutil.so.1
kindle supported at /lib/libutil.so.1
/lib support detected

libz.so.1
kindle supported at /usr/lib/libz.so.1
/usr/lib support detected

libcrypt.so.1
kindle supported at /lib/libcrypt.so.1
/lib support detected

libc.so.6
kindle supported at /lib/libc.so.6
/lib support detected
Export complete at /mnt/us/export/ssh ensure you run ssh like: cd /mnt/us/export/ssh/bin; LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ./ssh
Attached.

The binary should "just-run" - without the extra libs. Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: zip ssh.zip (720.9 KB, 151 views)
Old 02-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
peepo
Enthusiast

many thanks twobob for your patience,
so onwards to the crux:

"So... If you are trying to run a midori browser on the KINDLE that is in fact installed on the PC.. say so. as this is indeed possible."

Howto?

ssh running fine now, should add to Touch notes, waiting on Howto, tx again

Last edited by peepo; 02-17-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Give us the link to the USBnetworking package you installed - there is more than one of them.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #15
twobob

Quote:
many thanks twobob for your patience,
so onwards to the crux:

"So... If you are trying to run a midori browser on the KINDLE that is in fact installed on the PC.. say so. as this is indeed possible."

Howto?

ssh running fine now, should add to Touch notes, waiting on Howto, tx again
ERM... It's a LONG time since I did this...

Basically you convince the PC that the kindle is a display like DISPLAY=:2 or something and open the application in that.

I have lost the thread exactly where I did it.

here is a screen type solution
http://hackaday.com/2012/09/11/using...avel-computer/

here is an old python solution https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...41#post1726641

That sort of thing anyways. if I find the thread I will share it.