Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #226
Janet56
Enthusiast
Janet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Libra, Forma (8 and 32 gb), Sage, Kindle Oasis
I have the Kobo wifi, and I would really love to see where you could choose what you see when you power on - either by I'm Reading, Books by Title, Books by Author and be able to have your choice stick for any time you turn it on. Personally I prefer to see them by Author, which means pushing Menu, and then down to Books, by Author, press OK and then they sort.

Would also like to see just the open books in I'm Reading and that they make another folder for the newly uploaded books, or, as the Kindle does, just mark them as new in the main list.

Also when you delete a book that it doesn't go back to the beginning of your list of books again, just stays on that page. I had to delete about 8 books by the same author and each time I had to get back to that page. Now that I use Calibre it is much easier but I think it should be built in.
Janet56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #227
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
I'd like Kobo to either offer an online service, or add the ability to their desktop to convert epubs to kepubs - this would overcome the issue right now where the dictionary only works with books in their format.
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #228
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I am not sure it is that simple, plaid. The kepub books live in a different place on the device and sync through Kobo servers. This may add in a level of complexity to the whole thing. I know that, for example, if you have kepub books on your reader that were bought at Borders (for example) and then sync with kobobooks, the books disappear in the sync process. There are other things going on as well.

It may be a moot point. In another thread I just read that the iPAD Kobo app had dictionary function on non-Kepub books. I guess time will tell.

Last edited by taming; 05-23-2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: more info
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #229
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
The Kobo devices badly need more control over page layout:
- Selectable Ragged-right or fully justified text,
- control over line spacing,
- control over margins
- condensed and expanded letter spacing options,
- a couple more fonts, or choices of stroke width ("boldness").

If these features were included (all are available on the Kindle) the Kobo devices would be far more readable and comfortable for reading long documents.

Last edited by EldRick; 06-05-2011 at 02:07 AM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:46 AM   #230
masona8
Enthusiast
masona8 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, Kindle DX graphite, Kindle 3
For the original Kobo: forget everything else, If you have not done it by now you never will. But just allow the user to go to a particular page - that's all, nothing else.

Just do that and continue on developing the new ones and forgetting about the old ones.
So spare an hour or two one morning real soon and do the programing and roll it out a couple of days later.

Is that too difficult!!!!
masona8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:25 PM   #231
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Small request for the Kobo touch pdf zooming in landscape mode.

I notice that in landscape mode, when you zoom in and change the page, it will set the zoom to the part of the page that you were on in the previous page. For example, in landscape mode, if I'm zoomed in at the middle of the page, it will stay in the middle for the next page as well. This make reading a little more difficult in landscape mode.

In portrait mode, it will default zoom to the top left of the page after the page turn, which makes a lot more sense. I'm wondering why there is a difference in handling. Would it be possible to have the landscape mode work more similarly to how it is set in portrait mode?
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #232
queensryche_fan
Kobo Developer Co-op
queensryche_fan began at the beginning.

Toastedpine -- totally possible, will be in the next fix . Meanwhile, sorry for the slip up.
queensryche_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #233
distorteddisco
Enthusiast
distorteddisco began at the beginning.

I've noticed this a few times, only when using the (beta) web browser or moving around a PDF too quickly, but the currently-running app can crash, leaving you with a single cursor in the top left of the screen... no, this isn't a defective unit or anything, it happens with many portable devices. A nicer crash screen or automatic quit (like the iPhone does) would be nice though (for anyone else that this happens to, just hit the home button).

Also, I don't notice any ghosting but a user preference to change number of pages before full refresh would be really neat.

EDIT: Just saw that the page refresh will be added to the next firmware. Big THANK YOU to Kobo for actually reading this forum! Really cool.

Last edited by distorteddisco; 06-13-2011 at 12:34 PM.
distorteddisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #234
distorteddisco
Enthusiast

Oh, and the ability to have multiple bookmarks would be nice (like iBooks).
Old 06-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #235
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by distorteddisco View Post
Oh, and the ability to have multiple bookmarks would be nice (like iBooks).
actually, this is sorta there now for the touch, for KEPUB books at the very least, in the form of highlights. Highlight a word or passage, and you can jump to that one instead of the closed book bookmark...
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #236
distorteddisco
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
actually, this is sorta there now for the touch, for KEPUB books at the very least, in the form of highlights. Highlight a word or passage, and you can jump to that one instead of the closed book bookmark...
Ah. Interesting. I don't have any KePubs, only Adobe and other ePubs :/
Old 06-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #237
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensryche_fan View Post
Toastedpine -- totally possible, will be in the next fix . Meanwhile, sorry for the slip up.
Thank you
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:51 AM   #238
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
If anyone affiliated with Kobo is still reading this thread:
Are there any plans to have highlighting/dictionary support for sideloaded epubs?
Is it just too much of a technical nightmare with all the various ways an epub could be constructed?

I just want to know if it's something I should look forward to or if I should just get over it and enjoy my Kobo. Thanks. =]
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:07 AM   #239
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Smile additional Home button functionality

I've tried out the Kobo Touch at Indigo a couple of times now, and I find that it is difficult to turn pages one handed. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I had the idea that you could add an item to the menu that comes up when you tap the center of the screen while inside a book.

HOME=HOME

which toggles with

HOME=NEXT PAGE

This would allow users to have a HARD button for page turning. Because the HOME button in in the center of the unit, it would be easy to use for both left and right handed people. It would also give a reliable method of page turning when using one or both hands.

You could further restrict the function to only when inside of a book. Once outside a book, or even when the menu is showing, the HOME button would function as normal.

It wouldn't affect the ability to go HOME since that shows up on the menu at the bottom of the screen when you touch in the center.

I see in the forums that several people would have liked HARD page turn buttons and hope they may be added to the next unit. This way you have a HARD page turn functionality with the current Kobo Touch. You do not need a last page since we mostly read from front to back and the touch page turn will still work for turning to a previous page.

Larry Mohr ( KOBO 1 user )

PS. As a final note the new Kobo Touch is quite a nice little unit.

Larry Mohr
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #240
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
From my own experience: I had problems at first with my Touch and got these, ummm, mini-freezes, that pressing home took care of, but which ultimately left the touch screen less responsive until I did a pin reset. You may be seeing that kind of thing reflected in the unresponsiveness of the demo versions in the store. I don't get the freezes any more (and most people never got them). One handed page turning--even for my left handed husband--seems easier than on the WiFi reader.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo