Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-26-2018, 10:09 PM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
What Treasures have you found in a little free library?

I found this article in a newspaper and googled it for an online copy.
Click
Sometimes the little things give the most joy.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:10 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I found a 1930 MacMillan edition of Far from the Madding Crowd just the other day. Not in a streetside library as such, in a cardboard box of books someone had put on their front wall. From the tenor of the notes in the margins (in pencil, so sometimes hard to read) the reader was a student - probably of English Lit at Sydney U.

One of the advantages of not owning a car and walking as much as possible is that one finds treasures such as this. On one occasion I found an excellent set of screwdrivers in a rubbish skip.

Madding Crowd is one of my favourite stories. When I got off the bus after seeing the 2015 movie, there was a man with two border collie dogs sitting on a nearby seat, it was uncanny, I had to pat the dogs to make sure they weren't an illusion. Maybe one day I'll find Bathsheba Everdene hiding in a cardboard box on someone's wall

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2018, 04:34 AM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I found a 1930 MacMillan edition of Far from the Madding Crowd just the other day. Not in a streetside library as such, in a cardboard box of books someone had put on their front wall. From the tenor of the notes in the margins (in pencil, so sometimes hard to read) the reader was a student - probably of English Lit at Sydney U.

One of the advantages of not owning a car and walking as much as possible is that one finds treasures such as this. On one occasion I found an excellent set of screwdrivers in a rubbish skip.

Madding Crowd is one of my favourite stories. When I got off the bus after seeing the 2015 movie, there was a man with two border collie dogs sitting on a nearby seat, it was uncanny, I had to pat the dogs to make sure they weren't an illusion. Maybe one day I'll find Bathsheba Everdene hiding in a cardboard box on someone's wall

BR
When I was a kid and my mom would go to garage sales I'd go along. Often enough there would be a box of paperback books for .10-.25 a book. And when I was in my late teens I found a copy of Norton Juster's "The Phantom Tollbooth" at one house during a city wide garage sale. I've even had friends give me a small box of books that they didn't want any more on several occasions.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:13 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I've never seen one of those "little libraries" anywhere but online in pictures.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:08 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I've never seen one of those "little libraries" anywhere but online in pictures.
There are several near where my fiancee lives (near the clinic) and one over near Juda in the entrance of a restaurant there. At least it was there last time I was over that way. Those are about the only ones I've seen either. Not a lot of communities seem to have them which is a shame I think.
Advert
Old 03-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
There are two in the street where I live (about 40 houses) and I know of a few more within 2-3km radius. I wonder if their number correlates with bookshops, of which there are several hereabouts. On this morning's walk I saw some academic child-care books lined up on a front wall that someone wanted to be rid of.

Slightly OT - I think I'm seeing more young adults (16-25) reading paper books than I was a couple of years ago, I've even seen some in cafes reading 'serious' newspapers. Maybe the fiddle fone fad is becoming uncool.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-02-2018 at 06:30 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:32 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
There are two in the street where I live (about 40 houses) and I know of a few more within 2-3km radius. I wonder if their number correlates with bookshops, of which there are several hereabouts. On this morning's walk I saw some academic child-care books lined up on a front wall that someone wanted to be rid of.

Slightly OT - I think I'm seeing more young adults (16-25) reading paper books than I was a couple of years ago, I've even seen some in cafes reading 'serious' newspapers. Maybe the fiddle fone fad is becoming uncool.

BR
Some things do seem to become more age based. I remember a few yrs ago seeing something (maybe here but maybe not) about how those under 35 don't usually wear a wrist watch now days since they have their phone with them pretty much all the time. At one time wearing a good quality watch was a status symbol, now it seems to point to which generation you belong to. And yes I wear a watch. lol. I've read paper and I've read e-ink and I do more reading on e-ink now than paper. The kindle is lighter to hold and as others have mentioned you can change the size of the text to compensate for aging eyes. Paper never has managed to learn that trick. Still there are some good books that aren't yet out in ebook format so little libraries still have a place in the world.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:02 AM   #8
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Me either. But then I spend most of my time in limited areas near my home and work, so maybe I'm missing something in another part of town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Some things do seem to become more age based. I remember a few yrs ago seeing something (maybe here but maybe not) about how those under 35 don't usually wear a wrist watch now days since they have their phone with them pretty much all the time. At one time wearing a good quality watch was a status symbol, now it seems to point to which generation you belong to. And yes I wear a watch. lol. I've read paper and I've read e-ink and I do more reading on e-ink now than paper. The kindle is lighter to hold and as others have mentioned you can change the size of the text to compensate for aging eyes. Paper never has managed to learn that trick. Still there are some good books that aren't yet out in ebook format so little libraries still have a place in the world.
I still wear a wrist watch (I'm way over 35!) To me, relying on a phone for the time is like going back to the days of our great-grandfathers who had to pull a watch out of their pocket. I much prefer being able to just look at my wrist.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote