Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-10-2017, 07:24 AM   #1
phant
phant will become famous soon enoughphant will become famous soon enoughphant will become famous soon enoughphant will become famous soon enoughphant will become famous soon enoughphant will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Have you dated someone from the army before?

I am currently dating someone from the army. He's not from my country but he is staying where I am for six months because of a mission. I like him very much but I know for a fact that he'll be leaving me after his mission. I am not sure if our relationship would work out. Should I just end it now or prepare myself for his departure and just enjoy our time together?
phant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I would just enjoy the time together.
I have never worried about the future of a relationship. I just took it as it was.
Yes, I have had several relationships and a few hey you're fun but I know it won't last.
On the fun ones, I knew that going in.

Enjoy your soldier.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I like the #3 music but doubt this song is based on a deep understanding of human nature.

phant -- it sounds like you may be wondering whether to choose between the considerable pain of ending it now or the greater pain of it ending later. Maybe that isn't a good description of the choice. But if it is, Gale Garnett is plain wrong.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:23 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey phant,
I got to thinking about your situation last night. I still say enjoy it while it lasts. You like him, he likes you. If nothing else, you will have some nice memories when he goes to his next station.
Life goes by too darn fast to worry about the future.

You will only get hurt if you expect more than he can give.
Advert
Old 12-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I like the #3 music but doubt this song is based on a deep understanding of human nature.

phant -- it sounds like you may be wondering whether to choose between the considerable pain of ending it now or the greater pain of it ending later. Maybe that isn't a good description of the choice. But if it is, Gale Garnett is plain wrong.
Here's another take on the theme:

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Awesome song monkey.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phant View Post
Have you dated someone from the army before?
Not since I was in it.

I'm with Cinisajoy. To plagiarise an old tourist ad - if you don't give it a go, you'll never ever know - and you'll spend a lifetime asking 'what if, what if'.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:51 AM   #9
phant
phant will become famous soon enoughphant will become famous soon enoughphant will become famous soon enoughphant will become famous soon enoughphant will become famous soon enoughphant will become famous soon enough

I'm leaning more to be with him until the end of his mission. But I was lurking around the military chat rooms and so many of them said that relationships with civilians are usually bittersweet. I don't want to be unfair to him that I'm preparing myself not to get too attached by reducing my intimacy because he's leaving. I guess I'll just go with the flow for now.

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-12-2017 at 10:02 AM. Reason: link deleted
phant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phant View Post
I'm leaning more to be with him until the end of his mission. But I was lurking around the military chat rooms and so many of them said that relationships with civilians are usually bittersweet. I don't want to be unfair to him that I'm preparing myself not to get too attached by reducing my intimacy because he's leaving. I guess I'll just go with the flow for now.
Here is my thought on the "unfair to him" comment. That is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I am assuming your guy knows that his assignment is temporary. I am also assuming he has a good idea that nothing will ever come of it. He wants to be with you in the now so how is that unfair to him?

You will be unfair to him if you reduce your intimacy because he will be leaving.

What you are having is a love affair not a relationship.

Oh from personal experience: I can tell you love affairs can be fun. You just have to know it won't last.
Last love affair I had, I knew it wouldn't last from the moment he asked me out. He was fun, nice guy but not what I would want permanently. I enjoyed it while it lasted. I still think he is a nice guy. He later started dating a woman I knew. I told her I thought they would be great together. 25 years later: I was right. Ran into them a couple of weeks ago.

Listen, don't make this love affair out to be anymore than it is. That is when you get hurt.