Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #166
Rencam
Rencam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle pw (1)
The problem is that I have installed Kindle menu, but I only can see the old Kindle menu. I can't enable neither shortcut bar nor the Kindle menu. Maybe it's really the update (5.4.4.2)... ???
Rencam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #167
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
What knc1 said, no-one has tested this on > 5.4.4, and it's using a notoriously sneaky feature, IIRC, so it's entierely possible that it was broken by the update.

On a slightly related note: was your Kindle 'vanilla' (unhacked) when you installed the JB on FW 5.4.4.2? (That's my convulted way of asking: did the JB work (i.e: you saw the *JAILBREAK* tag) on 5.4.4.2?).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #168
Rencam

Yes, I saw "Jailbreaked". I've installed another language there, so I'll try to uninstall it and do it once more.
If I do hard reset - will I still have 5.4.4.2?

Edit:
I did my jailbreak before upgrading to 5.4.4.2 but after upgrading I installed the language, and without jailbreak it couldn't be possible.

Last edited by Rencam; 05-10-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:44 PM   #169
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Rencam: Language? What?

Also, what are you thinking of when you say "hard reset"? A hard reboot (in which case, well, it's just a reboot, albeit a forceful one), or a factory reset? (in which case, besides breaking hacks and clearing the userstore & settings, it doesn't really do much [it certainly doesn't change the FW itself, and doesn't clear some parts of some hacks].
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #170
Rencam

Factory reset. Naturally after uninstalling all...
The language is the Czech. Hm. Nevermind, even so I like Kindle!
But I'll try to uninstal the language and all and begin from zero.

Edit:
1 day after...
I uninstalled the language and all (except jailbreak)
I downgraded to 5.3.5, then installed MKK and KUAL and it was OK.
Then I updated to 5.4.4. (as Aeris wrote it runs good...)
But - even after reinstalling MKK, the Kindle menu is dead.

Edit:
I did factory reset - with 5.4.4
Then I installed MKK and KUAL and Kindle menu and Screensaver hack and all was OK!!!

But then I touched KOreader ina Kindle menu, the display went fullscreen and now I can't rid of it. Neither after switching off/on. (I can't go to the menu - the status bar doesn't display)
Neither after uninstalling MKK and KUAL.
Please, do you have some help?

Last edited by Rencam; 05-11-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Advert
Old 05-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #171
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Getting rid of it is an extra-cost option.

- - - -

KUAL (which is also menu layout) and the Kindle Menu are two, different, applications.

Try a system re-boot (power button held for greater than 20 seconds).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #172
Rencam

I didn't mean getting rid of Kindle menu or Kual - I love the both!
Only getting rid of the fulscreen. I restarted many time... and I waited...
But the solution went - I don't know how - maybe after the Kindle have switched by it self. Because after then there was already the upper status bar accessible.
So now, it's ok and thank you for your time with helping me and with inventing such a wonderfull app!

Edit:
I like the excellent feature of White board in the Kindle menu - to erase what I have written, by closing my fingers!!!

Last edited by Rencam; 05-11-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:08 AM   #173
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
Remember that, for a REAL reboot, you must keep the power button for several seconds. For any problems with your status bar it should be resolutive
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #174
ft.parham
ft.parham began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
Hi guys
I do agree with Rencam.
For a while I used kindle menu and I had the same problem.
I hadn't status bar or any back keys in full screen extensions such as white board.
Thanks everybody
ft.parham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #175
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
ft.parham, whiteboard is a system module that can't work in any different way then this... If you need to check the status bar for battery or clock, you must simply avoid to use this app or other full screen ones...

Regarding koreader instead.. Rencam, are you saying that after closing it, the status bar doesn't come back? Does it happen only launching koreader from Kindle Menu or also from KUAL? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue?

Last edited by Aeris; 05-14-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #176
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Aeris; Welcome back.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:24 PM   #177
Cykotitan
Enthusiast
Cykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 WiFi
First of all thanks for creating this useful add-on for Kindle, I mainly use it for turning off Wi-Fi without having to go Home->Settings in order to keep the kindle browser running.

I did notice a strange thing however, it seems calling the menu through a finger swipe top-to-bottom yields a different result than launching it using KUAL.
I do not have KOReader installed as an extension, and the Menu doesn't display KOReader as long as it's started via the KUAL button.
However, if Kindle Menu is started using the gesture the KOReader option appears. Any subsequent attempts to open it will hide pillow and require the user to either issue a 'restart pillow' command or restart the device.

Last edited by Cykotitan; 05-16-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Cykotitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #178
Rencam

Aeris: Yes, after closing it, the status bar doesn't come back, only after reboot, what is after all not so big problem - now when I know it. But for the first problem I was very scared. I launched it from Kindle menu. The screenschot isn't necessary - there only was the text on all the display, nothing else. I even tried to "pull out" the bar but nothing...
Old 05-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #179
Cykotitan
Enthusiast
Cykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 WiFi
Yes, the menu gesture stops working at the same time pillow (statusbar and navigation buttons) is hidden. But the lack of KOReader installation is still the main thing causing the problem.

Simply make the Menu more consistent and not show KOReader in case it's not installed, should be enough.
Cykotitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #180
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cykotitan View Post
Yes, the menu gesture stops working at the same time pillow (statusbar and navigation buttons) is hidden. But the lack of KOReader installation is still the main thing causing the problem.

Simply make the Menu more consistent and not show KOReader in case it's not installed, should be enough.
If such is the case, then the problem should show with(out) Midori installed also.

As documented in the first post of the thread, both Midori and KOReader are too large to be bundled with the Kindle Menu package.
Those two packages depend on the user to install them.
I.E: That is why they are "missing" (PEBCAK and/or tl;dr).

The Kindle does not have a "package management" system such as found on full Linux (and *nix) systems.
So detecting the presence or absence of Midori and KOReader is not all that simple.
I.E: Kindle Menu installation would have to be able to tell the difference between "installed now / will be installed / will never be installed" if it was going to provide the menu entries for them.

The Kindle Menu could depend on the Midori and KOReader installation process to detect if Kindle Menu was installed and let those package installation processes conditionally provide the menu entries.

Which would have two (or more) packages writing into the data files of the third.
Sorry, we are not that organized here to coordinate among three (or more) independent developments / developer teams.

Another way -
Aeris has her source code published in a public repository (some where) - - or since this is all scripting, the release is the source code.

Someone could submit a patch to her source that would do (Kindle Menu) run-time checking for Midori / KOReader and then conditional display of the corresponding menu entries.

- - - -

Isn't open source just great?
You don't like it the way it is now?
Just post a patch here to change it and you will have it with as much consistency as you care to write.

Tags
launcher add-ons