Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
rmettier
rmettier began at the beginning.

Device: nook
1.2 -> 1.4....will I lose softroot?

I'm currently running a softrooted 1.2 on my nook, along with some of the goodies that became available with rooting.

If I sideload the 1.4 update, will I lose softroot?
rmettier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
AFAIK, if you want to upgrade, you'll first need to revert back to the BN v1.2. You can't directly upgrade softrooted 1.2 to 1.4. Reinstall BN's 1.2, then instal 1.4.

the nookdev site probably hasn't softrooted 1.4 yet. It normally take a few days to a week or 2 for them to make 1.4 softroot available. So in the short term, yes, if you go to 1.4 today, you're going to lose the soft root. However, a soft root version of 1.4 may be available in a few days to weeks. (Also, the nookdevs may potentially have a way for you to directly upgrade from 1.2 softroot to 1.4 softroot, without installing BN 1.2 and BN 1.4 first.)

I'm no expert on softrooting, though, so maybe someone else knows something different...
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Kypt
Connoisseur
Kypt began at the beginning.

Device: nook, Kindle 3
Strangely enough for me I didn't turn off the auto-update thing and my Soft-rooted nook updated to 1.4 but I still kept the soft-root. On setup it shows 1.4 but I'm still using My Books 0.0.9, etc. It's kinda neat but not sure if it's an exception instead of the rule.
Kypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
hharan
Connoisseur
hharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enough

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kypt View Post
Strangely enough for me I didn't turn off the auto-update thing and my Soft-rooted nook updated to 1.4 but I still kept the soft-root. On setup it shows 1.4 but I'm still using My Books 0.0.9, etc. It's kinda neat but not sure if it's an exception instead of the rule.
Looks like it. 1.4 is not a full upgrade like the previous ones. They just modified few of the apps and left everything else as is.
anyway, there is a softroot for 1.4 as well.
hharan is offline   Reply With Quote