Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-09-2018, 08:35 PM   #1
Realmsbeyond
Realmsbeyond began at the beginning.

Device: None
E reader for reading a4 pages (13.3 inch pref)

I read academic papers on mathematics/related topics, and also textbooks in this field.

What would be the best eReader for me? I've been looking at the dpt rp1, are there any good alternatives?

Thanks

EDIT: I would like an e ink device

Last edited by Realmsbeyond; 12-10-2018 at 02:29 AM.
Realmsbeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:50 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Since you haven't specified eink, go for a large tablet.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:05 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
or a chromebook or a windows netbook, if you want an actual A4 sized screen , which would be optimal. tablets max out at around 10.5 inch

if you plan to annotate/mark up, then having an actual keyboard is desirable ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:14 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
or a chromebook or a windows netbook, if you want an actual A4 sized screen , which would be optimal. tablets max out at around 10.5 inch
12.9 inches for the iPad Pro, if one really needs a huge device. (IMO most people with normal eyesight don't, not with pinch-to-zoom and landscape mode available.) And it can take handwriting input or a Bluetooth keyboard.

Last edited by meeera; 12-10-2018 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:26 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
12.9 inches for the iPad Pro, if one really needs a huge device. (IMO most people with normal eyesight don't, not with pinch-to-zoom and landscape mode available.) And it can take handwriting input or a Bluetooth keyboard.
ok - i was thinking android when I said they max out at ~10 inch.

the ipad pro would be excellent if the OP is rich enough!
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:31 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
ok - i was thinking android when I said they max out at ~10 inch.

the ipad pro would be excellent if the OP is rich enough!
They're already looking at a $700 (US) reader - 12.9 inch iPad Pro refurbs start at $679, with a lot more functionality. 10.5 inch ones for $550.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:57 AM   #7
Realmsbeyond
Realmsbeyond began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks for the replies.

I should have specified I want eink.

I have a lenovo yoga 920 and a sony vaio S for different reasons (university and music respectively)

These two make me feel tired when it's long hours (4 hours plus), and sometimes I need to go that long when j don't have many hours in a day. In addition the battery life on these is horrible and I want something light weight I can carry on with me when I go interstate.

For markups I prefer to handwrite, especially for math, I usually have a seperate document for anything major.

Last edited by Realmsbeyond; 12-10-2018 at 02:30 AM.
Realmsbeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:08 AM   #8
Asiorent
Asiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
The only one I know in this size is Onyx Boox Max. I think Remarkable is smaller but also good.
Asiorent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:16 AM   #9
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
According to this review, Remarkable wins when it comes to note-taking, but Boox Max wins when it comes to reading https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7g3BpefUSA
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:40 AM   #10
helen19770707
Connoisseur
helen19770707 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx C67 kindle Onyx Note
I think Onyx Boox Max2 is what you need. It has a 13.3 inches large screen and supports multiple document formats.
helen19770707 is offline   Reply With Quote