Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-20-2018, 04:33 PM   #1
vjoh
vjoh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Begin new chapter on same row as other text?

Hi everyone,

I'd be grateful for your guidance. I'm learning Sigil and have a couple of problems.

I'm creating an ebook with very short "chapters", which I've put in a file per chapter. Since they are typically two pages long, this means I get a book where the left page usually starts one row below the right one, because every new file seems to place it there.

Is there a good way to solve this? I've tried to e.g. remove the <p> surrounding the paragraph in case that would prove unnecessary and move it further down, but this had no effect.

My apologies if this is a question with an obvious answer. I've tried to look in the Sigil User Guide and to search for the answer online, but I'm not even sure what words I should look for.
vjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoh View Post
Hi everyone,

I'd be grateful for your guidance. I'm learning Sigil and have a couple of problems.
Hey, welcome to MobileRead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoh View Post
I'm creating an ebook with very short "chapters", which I've put in a file per chapter. Since they are typically two pages long, this means I get a book where the left page usually starts one row below the right one, because every new file seems to place it there.
What program are you using to read the EPUB?

Can you attach a sample EPUB?
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It's really hard to say what the problem might be. Different reading programs and devices behave differently. I'd begin with css. There may be a margin-top property associated with new pages (files or chapters in this case). That margin-top property may be able to be affected with css, depending on the reading app or device doing the rendering.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
...There may be a margin-top property associated with new pages (files or chapters in this case). ...
If so, it is likely associated with the <body > tag, either directly in the CSS or in a style in the CSS that is applied to the <body > in each xHTML file.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:47 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If there is no explicit margin-top property set for "body" (or a consistent body class name), the reader/app may be assuming it. In which case the OP should try explicitly setting body {margin-top: 0;} to see if it changes anything.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:43 PM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If there is no explicit margin-top property set for "body" (or a consistent body class name), the reader/app may be assuming it. In which case the OP should try explicitly setting body {margin-top: 0;} to see if it changes anything.
Quite correct. Reader defaults for any and all tags can vary. Forcing a margin of 0 may work.

I've also seen ebooks that contain a wrapping <DIV > just inside of the BODY that contains the whole chapter. The styling of such a DIV could also be the source, whether it's styled in CSS or inline or unstyled and falling to the reader's default behavior.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chapter, chapter book, text alignment