Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-17-2021, 11:47 AM   #31
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Campbell's tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich was my lunch on Sunday. So, still popular. I offer same to my cousin's son whenever he is here.

In fiction, hardly anybody uses the toilet. Must be a mess out there.
Reminds me of Lord of the Rings where they hardly ever ate. Stuff going in and stuff coming out seems to be overlooked in a lot of books.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:53 AM   #32
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I already used this one in another thread but one that bugs me is people writing letters were they retell conversations exactly, and not short ones either. Or just very detailed letters. Even back when people used a pen and paper letters were fairly brief.
Advert
Old 03-17-2021, 11:59 AM   #33
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think this is getting a little muddled. The OP explicitly said

That eliminates such issues as the conking on the noggin one. It also eliminates standard tropes, such as the amateur detective. As for the toilet, I think aside from the ick factor it’s just part of excluding the mundane - things you can take for granted but would be excruciating to read about in detail.

I was remembering some past thread where we discussed errors in books and remembering that it eventually turned into a long, detailed discussion of guns, types of guns, and all the things authors get wrong about guns..... didn't want a repeat of that!

Agree with you on the toilet factor. I don't need to know every time the characters take a potty break. But I guess this brings up a related topic - what things are common in your real life that you hardly ever see in fiction?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 12:02 PM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Well, that's kind of a given with fiction. I mean, who wants to read about/watch the triumph of evil? The real life is for that.

I've read and enjoyed several books (mostly short story collections) where the villains won. Evil is a Matter of Perspective
for example.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-17-2021 at 12:06 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 12:07 PM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Well, that's kind of a given with fiction. I mean, who wants to read about/watch the triumph of evil? The real life is for that.
Wouldn't want to live on a steady diet of it, or anything, But I'm OK with a bit of moral ambiguity/inversion in my fiction from time to time.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2021, 12:36 PM   #36
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Wouldn't want to live on a steady diet of it, or anything, But I'm OK with a bit of moral ambiguity/inversion in my fiction from time to time.
Moral ambiguity and morally grey characters are perfectly fine. I meant the kind of fiction where undiluted evil wins, and not in the tongue-in-cheek sense. Yes, I know such fiction exists and people read it, but frankly I cannot imagine why one would want to constantly consume such depressing stuff.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 12:46 PM   #37
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

I've read and enjoyed several books (mostly short story collections) where the villains won. Evil is a Matter of Perspective
for example.
I haven't read it, but I imagine the villains are more like morally grey than pure evil in this book?

I'm not actually sure pure evil as such even exists. As you say, it's a matter of perspective. But still, deliberately hurting/destroying others just for one's own enjoyment presumably comes close (I don't mean consensual sadomasochism here ). I wouldn't want to read about a character like that winning, unless he/she has some redeeming qualities. But then this hypothetical character wouldn't be pure evil.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 01:06 PM   #38
hobnail
Running with scissors

I've read a couple of books where someone has had violet eyes. If I saw someone with violet eyes that would be freaky. I think it's only been British authors.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #39
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I've read a couple of books where someone has had violet eyes. If I saw someone with violet eyes that would be freaky. I think it's only been British authors.
Actually, Liz Taylor had Violet eyes.
https://www.livescience.com/33149-di...olet-eyes.html

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 01:17 PM   #40
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Even as a kid I used to put these words into Gunsmoke's Marshall Dillon's mouth, "It's okay, I just got shot in an unimportant part of my heart." Even at that age I had trouble suspending disbelief that much. Looking it up in an Internet search, supposedly Marshall Dillon got shot 56 times, knocked unconscious 29 times, stabbed three times and poisoned once.
That's okay. It just creased his skull.
arjaybe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 01:17 PM   #41
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post

Shari
Must be why that Welsh guy kept marrying her.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:17 PM   #42
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I haven't read it, but I imagine the villains are more like morally grey than pure evil in this book?
True. Most of the books were more about the need for a balance between good and evil. There there have been several stories which had protagonists who would qualify as pure evil. One that stands out is Eric Frank Russell's The Displaced Person. For most people, the person the protagonist meets has to be purely evil though he regards himself as a failed revolutionary.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:34 PM   #43
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post

Shari
I've never seen violet eyes in real life - that would be interesting to see.

Another eye color I've seen described in books but never seen in real life is dark blue. I've seen people IRL with a variety of shades of blue, such as gray-blue, pale blue, and even one person with an almost startling aqua/turquoise color. But none of those were dark. The only dark eyes I've seen in real life are brown.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:09 PM   #44
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I've never seen violet eyes in real life - that would be interesting to see.

Another eye color I've seen described in books but never seen in real life is dark blue. I've seen people IRL with a variety of shades of blue, such as gray-blue, pale blue, and even one person with an almost startling aqua/turquoise color. But none of those were dark. The only dark eyes I've seen in real life are brown.
I once met a guy who had startling intense blue eyes. I made a comment about them and he said, "Oh, it's cosmetic contacts. But everything is dark!" Apparently the coloring covered the center as well, or most of it. This was way back in the 1970s. Then there were some I saw in London, Cheapside maybe, and they gave you brown and yellow vertical slit reptile eyes. Very realistic and creepy.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:14 PM   #45
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
So apparently the characters in the books you read aren't picky about their drinks, as long as they are wearing the right brand of clothing
Different books / authors/ genres
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote