Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
Maugendre
Maugendre began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader
Question What can we do to optimize the life of the battery?

Rechargeable battery are losing their charge with time. They have a ''memory charge ''??. So if I connect my reader regularly with the usb connector to add or removed books. Is it detrimental to the battery? Is it preferable to wait until te battery is completely drained before recharging? Or keeping the battery fully charge most of the time is better? Any other suggestions?
Maugendre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The battery in the Sony Reader is not like the older batteries, it does not have a memory. Therefore you can charge it anytime it is easy for you to recharge.

I will recharge when I add more books to the Reader or when it drops below 2 bars. (If my cell phone only held a charge as long ....)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
The battery in the Sony Reader is not like the older batteries, it does not have a memory. Therefore you can charge it anytime it is easy for you to recharge.

I will recharge when I add more books to the Reader or when it drops below 2 bars. (If my cell phone only held a charge as long ....)
I have a Sanyo cell phone and it has a very nice battery. Holds a charge for 2-5 days depending on usage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:22 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I recharge when it hits 1 bar (unless I'm going on a trip or something), I can't stand to let it get down to no bars, but that's my personal hang up.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:58 AM   #5
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
although lithiumion batteries like the one used in the reader doesn't have the memory effect, one must keep in mind that there is a finite times that the battery can be recharged. I think it was about 200 before it's capacity drops. So if possible... don't recharge it that much (also one of the reason why I use SD-cards. It's faster to use my computer's card reader than connect the Sony Reader)

but said that... i can't stand it when there;s less than 2 bars...
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:54 AM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maugendre View Post
Is it preferable to wait until te battery is completely drained before recharging?
See this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8497
The best way to treat your battery seems to be:
- Charge the Reader when displays the message that it needs to be charged.
- Discharge the Reader and charge it again if you do not use it for a month. This is how you can finally utilize the mp3 player ;-)
- Do not leave your Reader unused for more than a month. If you leave it for a long time (several months) without charging the batteries can get irreparably damaged [understand "completely dead"].
- You can expect your battery to lose up to 20% of its capacity in a year even if you treat it with greatest care.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:35 PM   #7
Maugendre
Maugendre began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader
On Wikipedia
• Unlike Ni-Cd batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a longer time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40%. Lithium-ion batteries should never be "deep-cycled" like Ni-Cd batteries.[7]
• Lithium-ion batteries should never be depleted to below their minimum voltage, 2.4v to 3.0v.
• Li-ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in a refrigerator. Aging will take its toll much faster at high temperatures. The high temperatures found in cars cause lithium-ion batteries to degrade rapidly.
• According to one book,[12] lithium-ion batteries should not be frozen (should not be stored below -40 °C), because most lithium-ion battery electrolytes freeze at approximately −40 °C (this is much colder than the lowest temperature reached by household freezers, however).
• Li-ion batteries should be bought only when needed, because the aging process begins as soon as the battery is manufactured.[7]
• When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power over extended periods, the battery should be removed and stored in a cool place so that it is not affected by the heat produced by the computer.[7]
[edit] Storage temperature and charge
Storing a Li-ion battery at the correct temperature and charge makes all the difference in maintaining its storage capacity. The following table shows the amount of permanent capacity loss that will occur after storage at a given charge level and temperature.
Permanent Capacity Loss versus Storage Conditions
Storage Temperature 40% Charge 100% Charge
0 °C (32 °F) 2% loss after 1 year 6% loss after 1 year
25 °C (77 °F) 4% loss after 1 year 20% loss after 1 year
40 °C (104 °F) 15% loss after 1 year 35% loss after 1 year
60 °C (140 °F) 25% loss after 1 year 40% loss after 3 months
Source: BatteryUniversity.com[7]

It is significantly beneficial to avoid storing a lithium-ion battery at full charge. A Li-ion battery stored at 40% charge will last many times longer than one stored at 100% charge, particularly at higher temperatures.[7]
If a Li-ion battery is stored with too low a charge, there is a risk of allowing the charge to drop below the battery's low-voltage threshold, resulting in an unrecoverably dead battery. Once the charge has dropped to this level, recharging it can be dangerous. An internal safety circuit will therefore open to prevent charging, and the battery will be for all practical purposes dead.[citation needed]
In circumstances where a second Li-ion battery is available for a given device, it is recommended that the unused battery be discharged to 40% and placed in the refrigerator to prolong its shelf life. While the battery can be used or charged immediately, some Li-ion batteries will provide more energy when brought to room temperature.
Maugendre is offline   Reply With Quote