Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Weapons, Firearms or Guns in the UK ?

Hi,

Among the security community in London, say, would anyone know what language they would use in a discussion about weapons/gun/firearms ? Firearms seems such an Americanism.
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
Solemn Spirit
Solemn Spirit began at the beginning.

Device: Bush My Tablet [Windows 8.1] (previous - kobo touch)
I have no official knowledge but I've very rarely heard people refer to them as firearms. Say they raid a house and find a cache there it's more commonly reported as a cache of guns or weapons than anything else.

From what I've seen the relevant officers are most commonly referred to as armed response officers too.
Solemn Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I seem to recall plenty of seemingly American "gun" terms used in the BBC TV series MI-5.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by saoir View Post
Among the security community in London, say, would anyone know what language they would use in a discussion about weapons/gun/firearms ?

I'd guess English.

Ha. I crack me up.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree firearms is such an americanism ... but I am still unsure about weapons or guns ...
Old 10-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #6
Solemn Spirit

I would guess it depends on who is speaking. The average person is more likely to use the term gun but stereotypical "gangsters" would use the term shooter
Old 10-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
saoir
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solemn Spirit View Post
I would guess it depends on who is speaking. The average person is more likely to use the term gun but stereotypical "gangsters" would use the term shooter
Indeed. I was asking about the 'security community' though ..
Old 10-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #8
Solemn Spirit

Then I would say you would be fine with gun
Old 10-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solemn Spirit View Post
Then I would say you would be fine with gun
I unfortunately can't speak to anything in the UK, but I have some expertise on the matter in the US, and "gun" strikes me as remarkably imprecise and unprofessional. Certainly used casually, and also in the context of "He's got a gun!" or "Drop the gun!" but if two professionals were discussing the topic in a technical context, it sounds wrong to me.

But those Brits can be wacky, so I'm just kibitzing here.

Last edited by ApK; 10-08-2014 at 11:55 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote