Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #46
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post
Is there a step by step instructions for this?
Deleting the sqlite database is easy, but if you have commitment issues you can always just rename it and try it. That way, if you change your mind you can switch back.

Warning: If you are in the middle of a book, you will lose your bookmarks as the information is stored in the database. Also, if you have books purchased through the Kobo store you might have to re-sync to get them back.

If you still want to try it out, the file is in the .kobo folder and is called KoboReader.sqlite. All you have to do is change it to KoboReader.sqlite.old and restart your Kobo. The database will be recreated and will be populated with the books and document you have stored on your Kobo.

If you decide that you want to switch back you can delete the new KoboReader.sqlite database that was created and rename the KoboReader.sqlite.old back to KoboReader.sqlite and restart your Kobo.

I deleted my database as soon as I got my Kobo, so I cannot verify the complaints that some have had. However, mine starts up in around ten seconds, switches pages in less than a second, and loads new content in no more than thirty seconds. This definitely doesn't seem to be the norm based on comments I have read here.

Note: You need to sync the Kobo using the Kobo software after removing the database.

Thank you marnom for pointing this out.

Last edited by RedRoverJ; 06-05-2010 at 12:27 AM.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #47
Atlantisfan
Atlantisfan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I just tried this. It certainly created a new database which contained no books but I could no longer add books via calibre. I restored the old database.
Atlantisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 11:07 PM   #48
marnom
Enthusiast
marnom began at the beginning.

I got the same issue. The trick is to do a sync with Kobo app, it updates correctly the database and THEN you can use Calibre
marnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:24 AM   #49
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnom View Post
I got the same issue. The trick is to do a sync with Kobo app, it updates correctly the database and THEN you can use Calibre
That may be the case. I deleted the database, installed the Kobo software on my pc, and then set up the Kobo software with my Kobo account, which included a sync. I have not used the Kobo software since and I do not plan on using it until an update is released. I use Calibre exclusively and have had no problems at all with it.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:54 AM   #50
Atlantisfan
Atlantisfan began at the beginning.

Thank you marnom that worked perfectly.
Atlantisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 12:55 AM   #51
m0_joe
m0_joe began at the beginning.

I'll be honest I was gonna wait for an update from Kobo before I deleted the free books. I just wanted them all gone (any I would read I am sure are public domain and could find easily enough). I was getting sick of the clutter. So I renamed the SQL file and it recreated perfectly with all my loaded epubs on there working fine.

Thanks so much for sharing!
m0_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #52
JBlyth
Connoisseur
JBlyth doesn't litterJBlyth doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch, Ipaq 214, HTC WildFire Android
Koko EPUB Font and Format fixing method

I put this in a different thread which is here....
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86445

It describes my method for formating both Kobo and other EPUBs with Calibre to get full justification and also gets around the font issue. I prefer it to the standard Kobo format as it doesn't have such large margins on each page.

Cheers
John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia
JBlyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #53
celbot
celbot began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
If you have some books you have read already and/or don't want to syn to the Kobo, click the checkmark beside them, then click the delete button at the top of the list. The books will still be in your purchased books area but will no longer be on your I'm Reading list.

here.
I don't have any checkmarks beside the books and no delete button at the top of the list. In fact, I don't think I have an I'm Reading list -- at least not on the KOBO site. There's "Library" "Store" and "Currently Reading". Am I missing something? I would really like to be able to delete the books that I've already read.
celbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #54
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Quote:
Originally Posted by celbot View Post
I don't have any checkmarks beside the books and no delete button at the top of the list. In fact, I don't think I have an I'm Reading list -- at least not on the KOBO site. There's "Library" "Store" and "Currently Reading". Am I missing something? I would really like to be able to delete the books that I've already read.
You are looking at the desktop application. You need to go to kobobooks.com and sign in and then go to "library".
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #55
celbot
celbot began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Thanks... that worked!
celbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:24 AM   #56
bob5146
Enthusiast
bob5146 began at the beginning.

Hi, You seem to be the oerson to help me, Ijust purchased a new KOBO reader, I have downloaded a book to ADH and cant get it out of there< i tried drag-dropbut still success, I am not a computer whiz girl so if you can go through this step by step i would be gratefull.
bob5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #57
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I just found that if I convert/save my epub using Stanza instead of Calibre I do not get the tiny unfixable font size. Interesting....
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #58
dpayment
Connoisseur
dpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enough

Device: PocketBook Pro 902, EB-1150, PRS505, PRS700, Jetbook, Hanlin V3, Kobo
Re: Make a cover from a DVD case

Quote:
Originally Posted by anagel View Post
I read somewhere that a DVD case works extremely well with a few modifications. And you can print out a nice cover and slip it under the see-through front. You have to remove the dvd holder part and allow for the button to fit in....but try that. This way your Kobo will be protected with a hardcover case.
Nice design, seems like it would work pretty well. I bought this one http://www.i-nique.com/detail.asp/c=443/sku=5055205257600 for the Cool-er eReader (same machine, basically) and it fits pretty well. I like the flip-up top cover and the flip-out stand. When I read in bed at night, I just set the reader on my chest and I don't have to hold my Kobo while I'm reading. And a really great reading light for this in bed at night is one of those "headband bicycle" LED lights. I've been using one for a couple of months now, about an hour a night, and I'm still on the original set of batteries.

Also, the case slides in and out of the hip pocket of my trousers really easily.

One thing, it's a tad pricey. I think I paid something like $39.95 for it, but construction seems sound, good quality leather and workmanship is good.

Dan

Last edited by dpayment; 07-08-2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Adding a comment
dpayment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #59
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
How can I deauthorize a Kobo (or other) device using ADE?

PC instructions:

Open ADE on your pc, connect the Kobo to the pc. Then press Ctrl,Shift, E. You should get a box asking of you want to deauthorize, select yes.

Unplug your Kobo from the computer, and plug it in again. Now you should get a box saying that a new device has been detected and you can authorize it.

MAC OS X instructions

Open ADE on your MAC, connect the Kobo to the it. Then press CMD-SHIFT-E. You should get a box asking of you want to deauthorize, select yes.

Unplug your Kobo from the computer, and plug it in again. Now you should get a box saying that a new device has been detected and you can authorize it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #60
yecam
Enthusiast
yecam began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Footnotes with Kobo epubs

Has anyone noticed that the Kobo reader does not recognize footnotes? I have a good epub file with footnotes that works with Calibre and alos with a BeBook runnink OpenInkpot bit on the Kobo there seems to be no way to access those footnotes.
yecam is offline   Reply With Quote