Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Transferring to amazon.com from amazon.co.uk

It used to be that you could transfer at will just by clicking the option in Manage Your Kindle without changing anything else but I just tried from .co.uk to .com and it now complains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon
We could not transfer your Kindle account to Amazon.com

Only US customers may shop in the US Kindle Store at Amazon.com. Please shop in the KindleStore at Amazon.com for a wide selection of titles available for your country.

Have you moved recently?
You can easily update your country on the Manage Your Kindle page at www.amazon.co.uk/manageyourkindle
I've not tried editing the associated address details yet to something in the US or Canada.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
What would happen if I were to try to buy a UK version of an ebook while my Kindle is registered in the US? (for example, if I tried to buy the UK version of Life, the Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams, since the UK verison is not censored like the US version is.)
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 03:36 AM   #3
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
If your Kindle is registered on the US store site then it will not allow you to purchase from the UK. When I tried, I received a message that purchases from Amazon UK are only possible for UK residents.
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:09 AM   #4
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
It used to be that you could transfer at will just by clicking the option in Manage Your Kindle without changing anything else but I just tried from .co.uk to .com and it now complains.
I have to ask the question; why on earth would you want to transfer from .co.uk to the .com website, unless you wanted to buy things other than books?

I am forced to use the .com website due to my geographical location, but I would much prefer to be able to buy books from the .co.uk site.
Cheers
Paul
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:31 AM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinafrica View Post
I have to ask the question; why on earth would you want to transfer from .co.uk to the .com website, unless you wanted to buy things other than books?
Book and subscription selection is different. You used to be able to transfer to/from .co.uk and .com as much as you wanted by just clicking that option in Manage Your Kindle. People were wondering if Amazon were ever going to restrict it and it appears they have.
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
The only way to be able to transfer from .co.uk to .com is to have acces to a US address. You load the US address as an address on your UK Amazon account, then you go to your Manage Your Kindle page in the UK, go down to the Country, select Edit and choose the US address you loaded onto your account. Then follow the prompts to transfer your Kindle account to the US. Make sure you have loaded an i click payment method to the US address before you go to Manage Your Kindle, a UK credit card is fine. Both the UK and US addresses stay loaded on your account so when you want to come back to the UK you just do the same process from the US Manage Your Kindle page, selecting a UK address. I have transferred back and forth loads of times, even as late as this week.

You don't lose any books, from either site, when you transfer, and pre orders still arrive on the due date even if you are in the other site on that date. I have never been charged any fees either and I download over wifi or 3G

Maybe I am just lucky, but I will continue to do it until Amazon stop me

Last edited by Josieb1; 02-16-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
Tiersten
Guru

Ahh okay. You didn't used to need the address and thats why it doesn't like it when I try it. If thats the only new restriction then its not a big deal.

Ignore me! Nothing to see here. Move along.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
So does it matter where the credit card is from, or can you use any?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:02 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a UK credit card linked to my US address and it doesn't stop me buying US books, I simply get the dollars converted to sterling on my UK credit card statement
Old 02-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #10
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
So does it matter where the credit card is from, or can you use any?
I use my daughter's UK account to purchase books, as I much prefer the Amazon UK selection - and pricing - to the US one. I have my South African CC details as a means of payment without any problem. My understanding is that the main thing that prevents me from purchasing on the UK site is my IP address.
Cheers
Paul

Last edited by Paulinafrica; 02-17-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:57 AM   #11
Paulinafrica
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
The only way to be able to transfer from .co.uk to .com is to have acces to a US address. You load the US address as an address on your UK Amazon account, then you go to your Manage Your Kindle page in the UK, go down to the Country, select Edit and choose the US address you loaded onto your account. Then follow the prompts to transfer your Kindle account to the US. Make sure you have loaded an i click payment method to the US address before you go to Manage Your Kindle, a UK credit card is fine. Both the UK and US addresses stay loaded on your account so when you want to come back to the UK you just do the same process from the US Manage Your Kindle page, selecting a UK address. I have transferred back and forth loads of times, even as late as this week.

You don't lose any books, from either site, when you transfer, and pre orders still arrive on the due date even if you are in the other site on that date. I have never been charged any fees either and I download over wifi or 3G

Maybe I am just lucky, but I will continue to do it until Amazon stop me
You've been extremely lucky, all of the above may work on a short term basis, but at some point the system will pick up that you are not buying from a computer that is resident within the specific country i.e. your IP address, and then you will be refused purchase at the point of sale - I'm talking specifically ebooks, other items may well differ, as an example I can purchase pbooks from the UK website and providing that the value is above £25.00 I even qualify for free shipping to South Africa!
Cheers
Paul
Old 02-17-2011, 06:06 AM   #12
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
I am in the UK and have previously bought many goods from the US site, up to earlier this week I have always been able to switch back and forth, mainly to purchase ebooks that are released in the US months prior to us, sadly this option has now been taken away as per the OP...
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
sadly this option has now been taken away as per the OP...
Well dang. How stoooopid.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #14
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

I am still okay, and registered to the US store, even though I am in the UK. I wonder if (so far) I am okay as most of my US purchases, well all purchases actually, are done via an iphone, so maybe the ip address for that is a bit ambiguous? I don't know.

I do accept that one day I will have to transfer back to the UK store and stick with it.

I am hanging on desperately for one book which is only going to be released in the US as the publisher (Penguin) is refusing to publish back catalogues in the UK. I got that info from the author! Its book 2 of a trilogy, and I already have books 1 and 3 on my kindle.