Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-01-2017, 08:43 PM   #1
zamana
Zealot
zamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindles: Touch, PW1, Voyage
Alignment and other Enhanced Typography options

Hi!

Amazon finally (FINALLY!!!) added the option to justify text.

Unfortunately, it seems there are exceptions...

What do I need to change/insert on an ePub book in order to make it support alignment?

Thanks.
Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2017_11_01T22_31_30-0200.png
Views:	635
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	159753   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2017_11_01T22_31_53-0200.png
Views:	534
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	159754  
zamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:42 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Some titles do not have ET support. Could be for several reasons:

- title was published with MOBI format (ET requires KF8)
- Amazon hasn’t enabled support for a particular language (needed for proper hyphenation)
- Amazon doesn’t have source files (I think this could be a reason) or publisher needs to re-submit some
- Amazon hasn’t gotten around to generating ET indexing for a title published prior to advent of ET (it might be prioritized by sales volume)

I have a few relatively recent and popular books from major publishers that don’t have ET. So that is probably always going to be the case.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:57 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamana View Post
What do I need to change/insert on an ePub book in order to make it support alignment?
The enhanced typesetting features, such as switching between justified and ragged right alignment, require the book to be on the device in KFX format. Most books purchased from Amazon are delivered in that format.

If you are starting with an ePub, rather than a book purchased from Amazon, your only option to obtain KFX is to use the KFX Output calibre plugin and side load the result. Doing this may not be worth the bother.

This is all from the point of view of a user rather than an author/publisher.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:37 PM   #4
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
I convert all my epub books to azw3 in Calibre and while converting choose Justify. So all my books are justified on Kindle.
I do the same with azw3 files as well.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:19 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
I convert all my epub books to azw3 in Calibre and while converting choose Justify. So all my books are justified on Kindle.
I do the same with azw3 files as well.
That's not what the OP is asking. The Kindle now has an option allowing books to be switched between full justification and left justification. That's only available to books which have what Amazon calls "Enhanced Typesetting", which is a feature restricted to books in the KFX format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:20 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the "Kindle formats" forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:26 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamana View Post
Install Kindle Previewer 3, Calibre and the Calibre KFX output plugin and convert your epubs to kfx books.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:53 PM   #8
zamana
Zealot
zamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfolded

Hi!

Thanks for all replies.

Summarizing:

1) Yes, I'm assuming a user point of view.

2) Currently I convert all my ePubs to AZW3 and choose to get justify alignment in the conversion process; with this new feature I hoped that it was no longer necessary, that the option to justify MOBIs would be present, but it's not. MOBIs don't get justified text. From my point of view, the MOBI format has advantage to be sent to the kindle through e-mail sharing, so I don't need to physically connect the kindle to the computer.

3) I'll try the KFX plugin.

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2017, 06:22 PM   #9
zamana
Zealot

Hi!

Well, I tried the KFX plugin and win all the whistles and bells of Enhanced Typographic.

The drawbacks are the size (exactly the same of a MOBI with "both" format) and the fact that you can't send a KFX book through e-mail either.

Regards.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you update to firmware version 5.8.11 or newer, you have more font sizes and you can increase the weight of the built in fonts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, ebook, epub, kindle