Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-12-2018, 07:37 PM   #1
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Considering the demise of BookView

There has been some discussion of late regarding the exorcising of Book View. I thought it might b worthwhile to have somewhere users can document any concerns.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:39 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Bookview?!?! What's that?
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't use Book View very often, hardly at all in fact, but there's one feature I have used to good effect and that's Format->Remove Formatting. In Book View it only removes styling tags (bold, italics etc) within the selected text (e.g. an entire html file), but retains paragraph, division, etc tags as-is. In Code View it removes all tags.

Maybe Remove Formatting could have two options when used in Code View - All Tags, and Styling Tags Only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Bookview?!?! What's that?
That which you love to hate, what on earth will you do without it

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-12-2018 at 08:48 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:42 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The only reason I use BV is when I try and save and get an error warning and I have no clue WHICH TAB(s) it is coming from.
I switch to BV and start closing Tabs. When I hit the error, the editor switches to CV and asks (I always choose the manual mode fix. I have seen Auto make worse hash outa mile pile of dodo ) what to do?

If there was a summary of all the (malformed) error locations (the same info that shows in the pink boxes) that would satisfy my reason for hanging on.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:11 PM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The only reason I use BV is when I try and save and get an error warning and I have no clue WHICH TAB(s) it is coming from.
I switch to BV and start closing Tabs. When I hit the error, the editor switches to CV and asks (I always choose the manual mode fix. I have seen Auto make worse hash outa mile pile of dodo ) what to do?

If there was a summary of all the (malformed) error locations (the same info that shows in the pink boxes) that would satisfy my reason for hanging on.
Just hit F7. It gives you the list of bad pages, if any. You can even double click on the list item and it will take you (roughly) to the location...it's not always exact, but it gets you close enough that the discerning eye can easily pick up the problem.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2018, 09:22 PM   #6
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

That would be nice and very useful.

WHEN BV goes I would like to see Preview being assigned the '<>' icon.

If Preview was invoked by the '<>' icon and the Preview screen replaced the CV tab (as BV does now). BV could then be invoked by F10 and appear in a separate window like Preview is currently.

If this was done I think the use of BV would diminish dramatically while allowing the people use it for very minor corrections to do so.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:59 PM   #7
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I don't use Book View very often, hardly at all in fact,
I only use it in two cases:

One: When I'm working on some absolutely spaghettified/mangled HTML and want to manually split chapters.

In Book View, you can easily see where the cursor is located, and then you can press Edit > Split at Cursor or Ctrl+Enter.

Preview is missing the cursor + Code View is sometimes not human-readable (think InDesign mess where every word is wrapped in a hundred-character <span>).

Two: When I go through a book and want to quickly add/tweak <h1-h5> to text. I can scroll through and visually see what text should be what heading. Then I can click on it + Ctrl+1 through Ctrl+5 to give it the proper heading level.

Book View changes instantly.

With Preview there is a very long delay, and sometimes when syncing between Code/Preview, it jumps to other locations (Book View doesn't have that problem).

And Code View, it's very hard to visually see the code should actually be (many times blog posts accidentally have stuff like <p><strong>Subheading</strong></p>).

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 06-12-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:08 AM   #8
Maui
Connoisseur
Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Just hit F7. It gives you the list of bad pages, if any. You can even double click on the list item and it will take you (roughly) to the location...it's not always exact, but it gets you close enough that the discerning eye can easily pick up the problem.
I need to admit that this is not working sometimes. As i cant create a reliable and consistent epub i didnt mentioned here.

But: as soon as the current master found his way to a release i dont need BV any more (clickable links). Pink error boxes are shown in Preview as well.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:49 AM   #9
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the info Powican (Filipino dialect word for Turtle).

That is something new I have learnt today.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:32 AM   #10
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
For me "BookView" edition is the big advantage of Sigil compared to other ePub editor.

For small text changes (without formatting, just added and deleted plain text) has the best for this function (Caliber, wordy ; Jutoh, not quickly ; and there's not many others I know)

In "BookView" we look at and read quickly our book, we locate the elements to be modified.
Another very easy thing in "BookView": add separation marks, to quickly separate the pages of the book if needed.
In clear, all simple operation, which requires quick and visual feedback for certain ease of operation, which would be incredibly more complicated in "CodeView"

And if the modification is a little more subtle => go "CodeView"

Okay it's not optimized, okay it's buggy. A lot for some. But, for answer the Thread title :
Demise the BookView would be a biggest mistakes and a big loss for Sigil.

One good thing to do is to explain to users that "BookView" is only an "interactive preview", but "incomplete". A quick editing aid, not the main tool. Useful for text editing, not the formatting.

@Thasaidon Switch "BookView" and "Preview", why not. But a practical and quick access solution would be to put "BookView" in a "Preview" submenu, or have the 3 buttons "Preview", "CodeView", "BookView".

Last edited by un_pogaz; 06-13-2018 at 05:10 AM.
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:07 PM   #11
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I never use Bookview, I do everything in Codeview with the preview window activated. Based on all the discussions in the past, Bookview is holding back Sigil in its developments.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by un_pogaz View Post
Okay it's not optimized, okay it's buggy. A lot for some. But, for answer the Thread title :
Demise the BookView would be a biggest mistakes and a big loss for Sigil
It's only a question of when Book View goes away, not if. It's become a boat anchor when it comes to Sigil development. It's buggy and it's increasingly unmanagable. It's fine for everyone to bring up things they still use BV for (mainly so alternatives can be suggested), but don't get your hopes up that Book View will get a reprieve. That ship has sailed. Book View is on borrowed time.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:15 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
WHEN BV goes I would like to see Preview being assigned the '<>' icon.
I'm not sure that's very likely. The '<>' icon literally represents the angle brackets that are such a prominent part of html and xml code.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:03 PM   #14
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by un_pogaz View Post

@Thasaidon Switch "BookView" and "Preview", why not. But a practical and quick access solution would be to put "BookView" in a "Preview" submenu, or have the 3 buttons "Preview", "CodeView", "BookView".

A good idea I can live with that.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:10 PM   #15
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not sure that's very likely. The '<>' icon literally represents the angle brackets that are such a prominent part of html and xml code.
It does not have to be the '<>' icon itself. But I would like an icon just for Preview with the screen replacing the CV tab (as BV does now) or perhaps adding it as a new tab. This would allow quick switching between CV and Preview.