Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #1
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Name of a character help

Okay, the other thread was such a thumping success, I thought I'd try out this one. It's the sort of thing that I fret waaaay too much about and sometimes can't get passed - which in this case, is just ridiculous, but...

I've got a never seen, only talked about, character. He's incredibly good looking. He's been assigned as an assistant to my female MC. The idea of him (poor pet) is that all the MC's colleagues talk and speculate about him. We don't know anything else about him and he never actually is in any scenes, just that he's stunning. In my head is a lovely guy, so I don't want to make fun of him or saddle him with a p0rn name.

My initial name for him is "Fabio" (which he currently is all through a 90% finished story) but...it's too...bodice rippery, I think. I have a vision of totally ripped Fabio on a romance type novel cover wearing only half a white shirt*.

I'm thinking something French or Italian (because everything seems sexier in French or Italian). But...my google-fu has failed me. There must be a better name for poor Fabio that isn't too over the top or cliched.

I usually don't have issues naming characters. I don't always name them in the early stages, so I just use AAA, BBB, CCC etc throughout and then do a search & replace when the story is just about done. But Fabio has me stumped. I can currently search but not...replace. Drat it all.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Edit: I just found this (it was link on a possum learning to knit site). Hmm.

* I think there actually was a guy named Fabio who made a living being a romance novel cover model, so this is another reason his name has to change.

Last edited by skb; 03-03-2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Knitting possums for the win!
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Yep there really is a Fabio who did romance covers. He's been on TV. Have you considered "The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook"? It's in both paper and ebook formats and has names by nationality. It also gives tips on surnames for various nationalities as well.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2018, 10:29 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Marcello, Francisco, or Pierre.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:36 PM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
“By the way, the best place to find names for fictional characters, if you are ever foolish enough to write a novel, is in a Bradshaw or an ABC. All the nicest people always sound like railway stations.”
― Beverley Nichols, Merry Hall

Bradshaw and ABC are railway schedules.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:39 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Why not turn tropes on their ear, and name him something decidedly UNsexy?

I mean, we've all seen, for example,the ubiquitous ultra-sexy male vamps, from Lestat to Victor to Jean-Claude, yadda. It's really old, in some ways.

What about...Dudley? George? (The Georges on the forum, forgive me.) Fred? (Ditto.).

Just twist it up, and tweak your reader. If it were me, I'd talk about yon Studly Do Right, in a way that leads the reader to believe that he's completely different--a nerd, etc., by using a nerdly or dull name, like Dudley or Duddley. Then surprise them, with his studly good looks.

Just an idea.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2018, 11:50 PM   #6
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
My character names come from all over the place. If the name wasn't obvious up front (I don't know why, but sometimes it is - or seems to be, but sometimes I'm wrong), then like you I tend to use place holders while I get to know them and then settle on something later. Otherwise I use anything from babynames.com (lets you easily see where the name is from and what it means etc), to my own database of random names, to adaptations from old myths etc., to simply "oh, that sounds good/right".

However, in a situation like you describe, I turned to imdb

In my first book I had a character that I knew almost exactly what I wanted: a very young Tony Curtis. That young, slender, bright eyed and cheeky little boy look he had. And I knew I was remembering the particular look from some movie that I hadn't seen in years ... turns out it was Taras Bulba (also starred Yul Brunner). And so I got my character name from the part he played in that movie.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:41 PM   #7
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
“By the way, the best place to find names for fictional characters, if you are ever foolish enough to write a novel, is in a Bradshaw or an ABC. All the nicest people always sound like railway stations.”
― Beverley Nichols, Merry Hall

Bradshaw and ABC are railway schedules.
Oooh, I like this idea too. Nice. Thanks. That's actually quite clever.

Holy smoke, even just the single image of one route in Wikipedia is a treasure trove of names.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Marcello, Francisco, or Pierre.
Pierre! That would've been it, I think (if Hitch hadn't come along and turn my world upside down).

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Yep there really is a Fabio who did romance covers. He's been on TV. Have you considered "The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook"? It's in both paper and ebook formats and has names by nationality. It also gives tips on surnames for various nationalities as well.
I had no idea there was a book devoted to naming characters. But that's a great idea when you think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Why not turn tropes on their ear, and name him something decidedly UNsexy?

I mean, we've all seen, for example,the ubiquitous ultra-sexy male vamps, from Lestat to Victor to Jean-Claude, yadda. It's really old, in some ways.

What about...Dudley? George? (The Georges on the forum, forgive me.) Fred? (Ditto.).

Just twist it up, and tweak your reader. If it were me, I'd talk about yon Studly Do Right, in a way that leads the reader to believe that he's completely different--a nerd, etc., by using a nerdly or dull name, like Dudley or Duddley. Then surprise them, with his studly good looks.

Just an idea.

Hitch
Oh, crap. LOL!!! I think his name is now Dudley. That's...kind of hilarious (sorry to all the Dudleys out there). But that's such a good idea. Oh wait...Myron, Cyril, Cedric, Nigel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
My character names come from all over the place. If the name wasn't obvious up front (I don't know why, but sometimes it is - or seems to be, but sometimes I'm wrong), then like you I tend to use place holders while I get to know them and then settle on something later. Otherwise I use anything from babynames.com (lets you easily see where the name is from and what it means etc), to my own database of random names, to adaptations from old myths etc., to simply "oh, that sounds good/right".

However, in a situation like you describe, I turned to imdb

In my first book I had a character that I knew almost exactly what I wanted: a very young Tony Curtis. That young, slender, bright eyed and cheeky little boy look he had. And I knew I was remembering the particular look from some movie that I hadn't seen in years ... turns out it was Taras Bulba (also starred Yul Brunner). And so I got my character name from the part he played in that movie.
I always loved Tony Curtis ("yonda lies the cassle of my fada") and thought he was a totally under-rated actor with a real flair for comedy. Also a devastating Cary Grant impersonator.
Now you've got me thinking about actor's real names: Marion (John Wayne), Eldred (Gregory Peck), Archibold (Cary Grant) and my favourite, Spangler (Robert Taylor).

Thanks everyone! So many good ideas and so much fun. I feel better about good old Fabio now (poor thing - he doesn't even get an appearance or dialogue and he has endure people making fun of his name).
Old 03-04-2018, 04:26 PM   #8
Nabeel
Zealot
Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
It's gotta be Joaquim. And he's hates it if people abbreviate it to Joe.
Nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:43 PM   #9
skb
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabeel View Post
It's gotta be Joaquim. And he's hates it if people abbreviate it to Joe.
Oh no! I like that too. Woe (is Joe). "My name is Joe, but you can call me Joaquim".

So many excellent suggestions (including the excellent railway guide for future characters). Thanks!
Old 03-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #10
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Conflating Joaquim and Joe doesn't really make sense. They're different names (not like José/Joe, for instance), and they're not pronounced anything alike so Joe as an ignorant truncation doesn't really track.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:28 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another source of names is Baby Name books, and there are the phone books. A first name here and a last name there and viola! you have a character name. WDCNS is still the best of the lot though I think. Sherrilyn Kenyon is the name of the author.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:31 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
Conflating Joaquim and Joe doesn't really make sense. They're different names (not like José/Joe, for instance), and they're not pronounced anything alike so Joe as an ignorant truncation doesn't really track.
Joc maybe though? The french for James.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Go against type and name him Mac or Clint.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:56 AM   #14
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Or give a thought to some of those really old-fashioned names that nobody uses any more.
Homer. Irving. Oscar. Ferd. Jethro. Harvey. Zeke. Rufus. Buford. Alvin. Floyd. Hubert. Oswald. Wilbur.

GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:45 AM   #15
skb
Evangelist

Thanks GrannyGrump. I'll add some of those to my short list. He's definitely been de-Fabioed. Well & truly.

So far, it's a toss up between Dudley, Nigel, Buford and Hubert.

Dudley is hard to beat, but Hubert calls to me.

I think I'm enjoying this way more than would be considered normal. So many fantastic ideas!