Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
schai
schai began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60 Irex dr 800sg
Red face DR 800 Firmware 2.0

I Just got my DR 800 yesterday afternoon and it has been giving me big headache.
1.it didn't charge when you plug in, no orange light was on. When I called IREX Support, they seems to have no clue either. Finally I accidentally slided the power switch, and the light was on.
2. i updated to 2.0 beta. But I just enjoy those functions for a short time. When I tried open a Chiense font book after i installed Chinese support package, it said I need to reset in order to read that book.
3. When I reset, everthing is gone in "Book" folder(including the original books from IRex). I could see those books were still there when I connected to computer. But once I disconnected it, i could find them in the device.
4. whenever I discontect or reset, it said, "indexing files, please wait," it took about 20 minutes to finish.
5. I tried reset, deactivate, and format SD cards, nothing works to restore the factory settings.

Does anyone have clue?

Last edited by schai; 04-10-2010 at 10:53 PM.
schai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by schai View Post
1.it didn't charge when you plug in, no orange light was on. When I called IREX Support, they seems to have no clue either. Finally I accidentally slided the power switch, and the light was on.
Not sure about your other problems, but this one is normal. It's a little confusing, but the first time you take it out of the box the device is completely powered off and the battery is empty. It was charging when you first plugged it in, but the LED won't come on until the first time you boot it up.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
drl
drl began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800
Quote:
2. i updated to 2.0 beta. But I just enjoy those functions for a short time. When I tried open a Chiense font book after i installed Chinese support package, it said I need to reset in order to read that book.
I think your mistake here was loading the beta firmware in the first place. It is still early and clearly has some bugs (that's why it's beta). I would suggest reverting to the 1.7 firmware.
drl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drl View Post
I think your mistake here was loading the beta firmware in the first place. It is still early and clearly has some bugs (that's why it's beta). I would suggest reverting to the 1.7 firmware.
Has anybody else tried using the Chinese support package with the beta firmware? Maybe it's just not supported yet in the beta release.

Quote:
5. I tried reset, deactivate, and format SD cards, nothing works to restore the factory settings.
The procedure should be similar to installing the beta firmware. You need to download the original firmware zip file (it should be on iRex's support site, but let me know if you can't find it and I'll get a link for you) and extract that to your SD card. The device will then "upgrade" to the factory firmware.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
Looks like you are using dr800sg, in this case, download this: http://updates.irexnet.com/embedded/...-build1000.zip to restore to the v1 firmware.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
Looks like you are using dr800sg, in this case, download this: http://updates.irexnet.com/embedded/...-build1000.zip to restore to the v1 firmware.
Thanks, didn't have a bookmark handy.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
AlpGlide
Connoisseur
AlpGlide began at the beginning.

Device: dr900
something can not be back!

Quote:
I tried to restore to the V1 firmware, but something was missing, for example, there is no "airplane mode" inside "Settings", so wireless is always on, no way to turn off. I seldom use 3G.
some other missing stuff I can not remember now.
so I upgraded again, just disabled all advance option, zoom, pdf scribble and so on. "go to page" really helps.
AlpGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:29 AM   #8
schai

Thanks, Shaggy, charging is not a problem any more.
For some resean, i can see my books again. I just made another folder "books1" and it is indexing files super fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Not sure about your other problems, but this one is normal. It's a little confusing, but the first time you take it out of the box the device is completely powered off and the battery is empty. It was charging when you first plugged it in, but the LED won't come on until the first time you boot it up.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:31 AM   #9
schai

that could be. I am still using 2.0 now and it seems that i don't need to go back 1.7 for the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drl View Post
Old 04-13-2010, 12:36 AM   #10
schai

I saw another thread saying the Chinese support can be installed with 2.0.
I can read my read my Chinese books but there are several problems:
1.Zooming/font is not working for Chinese characaters, so is the margins.
2. book titles aren't displayed correctly and i can see the tiles/title images, so it is easy to find the book.

btw, in the advance setting, there is "deactivate DRM" function, what would happen if i executed that? Can i get it back?

Quote:
Has anybody else tried using the Chinese support package with the beta firmware? Maybe it's just not supported yet in the beta release.

The procedure should be similar to installing the beta firmware. You need to download the original firmware zip file (it should be on iRex's support site, but let me know if you can't find it and I'll get a link for you) and extract that to your SD card. The device will then "upgrade" to the factory firmware.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:38 AM   #11
schai

thanks. I will restore it if I can't bear the bugs.
Quote:
Old 04-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #12
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
I saw another thread saying the Chinese support can be installed with 2.0.
I can read my read my Chinese books but there are several problems:
1.Zooming/font is not working for Chinese characaters, so is the margins.
2. book titles aren't displayed correctly and i can see the tiles/title images, so it is easy to find the book.

btw, in the advance setting, there is "deactivate DRM" function, what would happen if i executed that? Can i get it back?
http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthre...extra=page%3D1

By the way, I am quite happy with my DR800SG, mainly because of the IREX developers and users here in this forum helping to make it better and better, plus the openess of the device software. The DR800SG has very good hardware, so it is a very potential device. I am glad I chose it instead of Sony 900 and KindleDX. Of course, everybody's need and background can be different, hence different opinions.

Last edited by CoolDragon; 04-13-2010 at 10:19 AM.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #13
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpGlide View Post
I tried to restore to the V1 firmware, but something was missing, for example, there is no "airplane mode" inside "Settings", so wireless is always on, no way to turn off. I seldom use 3G.
some other missing stuff I can not remember now.
so I upgraded again, just disabled all advance option, zoom, pdf scribble and so on. "go to page" really helps.
Are you sure you got the SG firmware, and not the S firmware?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
AlpGlide
Connoisseur
AlpGlide began at the beginning.

Device: dr900
it should be sg

Quote:
Are you sure you got the SG firmware, and not the S firmware?
I downloaded from here:
http://support.irexreader.com/s.nl/s...e.KB/KB.172/.f
AlpGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpGlide View Post
Yep, that's right. I was just speculating that the missing 3G options could be due to accidentally having the S firmware. So much for that idea.