Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-23-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Suddenly unable to connect via USB

I have a KT2 that was working perfectly, until one day I realized it was no longer connecting to computers. It works well otherwise, and I can still charge it - it just won't be recognized by the computer. Not even as a faulty drive. It doesn't react in any way. I have tried using different cables, different computers; it doesn't make a difference. I have restarted the device several times, and reset to factory twice, there was no change. Does anyone have any possible solutions for me?
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:49 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
I have a KT2 that was working perfectly, until one day I realized it was no longer connecting to computers. It works well otherwise, and I can still charge it - it just won't be recognized by the computer. Not even as a faulty drive. It doesn't react in any way. I have tried using different cables, different computers; it doesn't make a difference. I have restarted the device several times, and reset to factory twice, there was no change. Does anyone have any possible solutions for me?
What firmware version is it currently running?
This might be caused by a partially installed update.

Is this device jail broken?
The answer on how to fix it depend on your answers.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2017, 01:17 PM   #3
sneakyspider
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is on the firmware 5.8.10, and I do not believe it is jailbroken.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:04 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
- - - -
I have restarted the device several times, and reset to factory twice, there was no change. Does anyone have any possible solutions for me?
Quote:
It is on the firmware 5.8.10, and I do not believe it is jailbroken.
Still on the same firmware version as before the problem?
That does not sound right.
But I will assume that you actually looked and did not just repeat what you wrote in your first post.

Is it still under (extended) warranty?
If so, return it as 'broke'.

It isn't jail broken, you would have noticed if you had performed that procedure.

You mentioned that you tried various USB cords and ports.
Do you have a KNOWN good USB cord?
One that you know for a fact that you can pass data over, not just power.
There are USB (like) cords that only have the two power leads, not the two data leads, that come with various USB (powered) devices.

Be certain that you have a KNOWN good USB cord.

The same with having a KNOWN good USB-2 port, not a USB-3 or USB-3.1 port.
Best bet, use the same port that you used to test the above cord with. Do not use one of those 'power only' USB cords!
That way you know that the cord, the port, and the combination of the two are working.

There is a chance you can force it to 'fix' itself.
This may be a bit difficult to do under Windows, but if you Linux or MacOSx it should be fairly easy.

Hook up the Kindle to the above combination cord&port that you have tested and proven to be working.

Reboot the Kindle (with the cord attached).
Use the long press and hold of the power button to reboot the Kindle.
As it boots, for a very short time (a few seconds) during its start-up self testing, it should make the USB storage area appear on your PC.

Check if that happens.

If it does, then you want to put this filename at the top of visible USB storage during the few seconds it is visible:
DO_FACTORY_RESTORE
that exact filename, no extension, no contents, all capitals.

If it does not make the USB storage available during the start-up, we will have to think of something else.

Last edited by knc1; 10-24-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:12 PM   #5
sneakyspider

I did as you suggested, and it didn't show up at all as a drive during the restart. At one point, I was trying to use one cable and I got the USB mode image to pop up on the screen, but it stayed frozen until I restarted, and it still didn't show up on the computer at all.
Advert
Old 10-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I did as you suggested, and it didn't show up at all as a drive during the restart. At one point, I was trying to use one cable and I got the USB mode image to pop up on the screen, but it stayed frozen until I restarted, and it still didn't show up on the computer at all.
That still sounds like the Cable, Port, PC, or the combination of them is the problem.

What have you done and how did you do it to confirm the cable, port, and PC would display the USB drive contents?
I tried to convince you it was an important step in trouble shooting this problem and you have not yet posted what you did and what you found.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:37 PM   #7
sneakyspider

It might be the cable, but the ones I tried worked with all my other Kindles. I did do as you suggested, and restarted it by holding down the power button as the Kindle was connected to the computer. I never did see a drive pop-up then. When I briefly saw the USB drive mode appear on the Kindles screen, I was trying different cables, and I wiggled one of them around a little bit in the USB port on the Kindle. That's when the screen changed, although there was no change on the computer as far as recognizing the device. I have tried multiple computers and ports, as well as a number of different cables. None of them seemed to make a difference. I have tried three different computers so far.

I'm trying to relate things as best I can, but I'm a little lost as to what I'm doing here. I'm not trying to be stubborn. Sorry.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
It might be the cable, but the ones I tried worked with all my other Kindles. I did do as you suggested, and restarted it by holding down the power button as the Kindle was connected to the computer. I never did see a drive pop-up then. When I briefly saw the USB drive mode appear on the Kindles screen, I was trying different cables, and I wiggled one of them around a little bit in the USB port on the Kindle. That's when the screen changed, although there was no change on the computer as far as recognizing the device. I have tried multiple computers and ports, as well as a number of different cables. None of them seemed to make a difference. I have tried three different computers so far.

I'm trying to relate things as best I can, but I'm a little lost as to what I'm doing here. I'm not trying to be stubborn. Sorry.
You do not have time to be trying different cables or wiggling things.
You will be lucky if you have enough time to copy the empty filename.

Once you have a cable and port combination that works with your other Kindles, leave it alone, just use the Kindle end of it.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #9
sneakyspider

Okay. I've been trying new cables, and tried to restart while they're plugged in. So far I haven't had success. I contacted customer service, and while they couldn't offer me a solution, they did offer to give me 15% off of any of the e-ink devices. I've been thinking of just getting a replacement. I can use the KT2, even, just not by USB. Thank you for trying to help me.