Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2017, 04:09 PM   #361
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A microUSB can run at USB 3 speeds if it's chipset is USB 3. so that means there's no actual need for USB-C. Just make the microUSB run USB 3.
No it can’t. Micro-USB 3.0 is a different larger connector. It looks like Micro-USB with a little sidecar addition. If you have a USB 3.0 HDD you might have seen one. They are much bigger and you can’t simply use the standard Micro-USB 2.0 port. USB C however woorks with 2.0,3.0 and 3.1 speeds with the same connector.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #362
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Any news if the user is able to disable the front light completely?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #363
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have numerous devices that use both mini- and micro-USB. I have nothing that uses a USB-C connector.
I have 3 different types of cables. Micro & mini USB as well as lightning.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:17 PM   #364
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I don't get the attraction of reading a book while someone reads it out loud. Personally, I read at probably 4x the speed that I could read a book aloud, so I'd constantly be getting ahead of the narration. What's the appeal of it? If I have the book in front of me, I could just read it aloud myself! It seems to negate the real benefit of audiobooks, which is that you can listen to them while doing something else, like driving.
Some audiobooks have a full-cast. That's something you cannot get from just reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:08 PM   #365
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Any news if the user is able to disable the front light completely?
Or turn off the adaptable feature, like you were able to in the Voyage?

Jim
Strether is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2017, 08:12 PM   #366
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
I have 3 different types of cables. Micro & mini USB as well as lightning.
I have USB-C for my cell phone and Chromebook. Those are the two "newer" devices. I have USB-micro for my Kindles. That's all. Just my Kindles. Including the yet to be delivered "newer" Kindle Oasis. And, USB-mini for my Bluetooth earphones. They're old and I'll get new ones this year that you can rest assured will use USB-C. I will give my current Bluetooth earphones and the USB-mini cable to some poor kid.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #367
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Some audiobooks have a full-cast. That's something you cannot get from just reading.
Why not? I enjoy listening to radio drama but I don't want someone reading a book to me. When I'm reading, I sometimes imagine the characters who were in the movie. I can't read The Treasure of the Sierra Madre without seeing and hearing Humphrey Bogart, although the book and the movie are quite different. I sometimes imagine actors and actresses or even other people in public life as various characters.

I'll sometimes read a sentence or a paragraph over once or twice because it's so well written. Can't really do that with audible books. I often highlight a phrase or sentence or paragraph. Can't do that, either. And, with my Kindle I'm quick to look up words when I want to see how the author is using the word. Some authors should have the thesaurus license revoked. I can remember back when writers doing radio drama would use new words and my mother would drop her knitting and run over to the dictionary to look up a word.

I used to enjoy being read to but that was before I learned to read. I was the only kid I knew whose father would scream, "Put that friggin' book down and go outside and play." One day after I'd been driven outside he came out and found me sitting behind a tree reading my book. His face got so red I thought he would have a medical crisis.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-21-2017 at 08:23 PM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:40 PM   #368
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I have USB-C for my cell phone and Chromebook. Those are the two "newer" devices. I have USB-micro for my Kindles. That's all. Just my Kindles. Including the yet to be delivered "newer" Kindle Oasis. And, USB-mini for my Bluetooth earphones. They're old and I'll get new ones this year that you can rest assured will use USB-C. I will give my current Bluetooth earphones and the USB-mini cable to some poor kid.
Good luck finding Bluetooth headphones with USB C. I don’t think they exist yet, at least from any of the big brands. I bought Bluetooth headphones recently, a pair released this year, still micro-USB. All the other ones I looked at were micro USB except for some of the Beats series which use Lightning. But besides phones and laptops USB C doesn’t seem to be spreading too fast.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:03 AM   #369
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I didn't say that I don't enjoy audiobooks - I enjoy them very much. I said that I don't see the attraction of listening to an audiobook while simultaneously reading the same book. Listening to an audiobook would enormously slow down my reading, and reading would distract me from the audiobook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:07 AM   #370
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Hi all, this new Oasis did the trick and I'm coming back to the kindle after having had kobos for the past few years. a quick question that I've not seen posted before, do we know already if the screen has a plastic or glass substrate? Given the reduced thickness in the screen part, a plastic substrate would be a very welcomed thing...
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:41 AM   #371
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
I personally don't have any interest in this function... I either read or listen, never both at the same time, and I'd rather have sideloadable audiobooks than immersion. But I can see the value, and it does seem like immersion could likely be made available through a future firmware update. Adding audible back to the Kindle line seems to have been a slow process, takes time, but I don't see why they would exclude the immersion option from the e-ink devices once they have the time to write the code.
For me, Kindle will never be my ‘preferred’ audiobook player. That device is my smartphone.

With immersion reading on iOS and Android (but not for some reason on Fire) everything is handled by the Kindle app, which has audiobook player built into it. You download the book, and have option to download ‘companion’ audiobook at any time. You can switch modes easily and there is no need to ‘sync’ reading position unless you mix in another device. Then when you delete the book, the audiobook gets deleted automatically. Even if all you ever do is listen to the audiobook, you also have access to the text for highlighting, XRay etc and more flexible navigation (via text search, TOC etc). It enhances the value of both formats. Fire’s implementation should be no worse than this, but it is: sometimes it starts TTS instead of playing the audiobook, when switching from immersion mode to the audiobook player while listening, one gets nagged with a needless ‘reading position’ dialog, and you have to remove the book and audiobook as separate operations.

If you listen to audiobook on one device and read on another, then sync has to be successful, and you do not have the same synergy between formats.

At least it appears you’ll be able to switch seamlessly between reading modes on Kindle, which was not the case before (if I remember you actually had to connect wirelessly to sync position with the previous Kindles).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:41 AM   #372
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
This is quite a nice article on how English spalling came to be so inconsistent.

I never knew that we could blame the h in ghost on Flemish typesetters, or the b in debt on 16th century latin-obsesssed spelling reformers.
Not only is it inconsistent but even the same words can be spelled differently depending on the country. Here we color with two other people and go to the theater too. You colour and go to the theatre.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:47 PM   #373
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWMouse3 View Post

My main concern is if you can upload preowned audiobooks through the audible app. I already have around 100 GB of books on a terrabyte drive, so the new Oasis wouldn't be worth it to me otherwise. Does anyone have any info on this?
I ordered the 8GB version for the reason that i first want to see if the new Oasis accepts sideloaded mp3 and m4a so I can use it to play my ripped audiobooks. I have no need for more storage if it’s only for Amazon bought content...
USB C would have provided Amazon with the opportunity to support cheap wired headphones alongside bluetooth (which you sometimes cannot use on flights).
Let's just hope that the lighting is even across screens and devices...

Last edited by johnnyb; 10-23-2017 at 06:31 AM.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:15 AM   #374
selianth
Enthusiast
selianth began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by selianth View Post
As much as I think I would LOVE the new Oasis, I'm waiting until they're actually released. I preordered both the Voyage and last year's Oasis for launch day, so usually I'm one of those impatient types, but this time I'm just concerned enough about the size increase to wait. More screen space sounds great, but I'm worried about it fitting into certain bags/pouches that I rely on when I travel. I plan to head to a Best Buy store (pretty sure they usually have demo models there) to check them out in November.

But it certainly checks all the other boxes.. waterproof.. battery fully in the Kindle instead of the case.. stand-up cover (I never realized how much I would miss that origami cover from the Voyage...). And I'll be happy getting the cheapest version. Must.. not.. click.. yet...
Yeah, I'm not sure who I thought I was kidding. I totally ordered it over the weekend. I don't need tons of storage, so I went for the 8gb, wi-fi only - ordered from Best Buy, which will deliver on launch day, as opposed to Amazon where the estimated delivery date was November 21. But the indigo cloth case will be delivered by Amazon at launch.
selianth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:22 AM   #375
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I have numerous devices that use both mini- and micro-USB. I have nothing that uses a USB-C connector.
The last 2 years, I've replaced most of the things that require micro-USB: one phone and 2 tablets. The only things now that require micro-USB are things I only rarely have to charge: my bluetooth headphone and ereader.

I recently bought a tablet and a phone for my mother, both have a USB-C connector.

I now even have a USB-C connector in our car charger

I still think it's a shame that Amazon didn't go for the USB-C connector.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote