Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-06-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
al35
Enthusiast
al35 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
E-ink screen affected by direct sunlight?

Hello!

I've recently become a happy owner of the PRS505, it's a beautiful device.
I've just noticed a curious thing -- I wonder if anyone else experienced this, or is it just my eyes playing tricks?
When a part of the screen is exposed to direct sunlight while turning a page, the new page has different contrast across it: the text on the part that was exposed to sunlight is noticeably lighter than the text that was in the shade. It all goes back to normal when you refresh the screen.
Did you see it?

Last edited by al35; 08-06-2008 at 01:55 PM.
al35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
morty1753
morty1753 began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs-505
I have noticed the screen gets lighter when exposed to direct sunlight. I am talking here of intense sunlight as seen in the Sahara in mid-summer. In fact it only takes about 10 minutes before the text is almost too faded to read.

I find the screen rapidly returns to normal when moved out of the sun.

Refreshing the screen while staying in sunlight seems to do nothing with the contrast.
morty1753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I have seen that behavior before and it is due to the nature of E-Ink.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The fading int he heat of the sunlight is an artifact of the screens used on the 500. I've not noticed the 505 fading in the sunlight. The 505 uses Vizplex and the 500 doesn't.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
al35
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty1753 View Post
I find the screen rapidly returns to normal when moved out of the sun.

Refreshing the screen while staying in sunlight seems to do nothing with the contrast.
Yes, that's what I meant, sorry.

I wonder if it's the effect of the light, of the heat or maybe of the UV. I'll experiment with electric light later.
Advert
Old 08-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
al35
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The fading int he heat of the sunlight is an artifact of the screens used on the 500. I've not noticed the 505 fading in the sunlight. The 505 uses Vizplex and the 500 doesn't.
Mine is the 505, and I see this effect... It's easiest to see when only a part of the page is exposed to the sun, then there's definitely a difference in contrast.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Heat seems the most likely candidate to me, but then again, light gets converted to heat when it hits a dark object... like the dark ink grains in e ink.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Cool-ER (running pocketbook firmware), Nokia N800, Nokia N900
*thread necromancy*

I've noticed the same thing on my cool-er reader this weekend.
The effect seems to occur as I change page - if I leave the shadow of my hand over the reader whilst I change page I get a nice hand-print in the display... very curious!
codeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #9
Be Szpilman
Fetch that LRF
Be Szpilman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Treo 650
Taking advantage of codeMonkey's necromancy ritual, I'd like to ask for the bottomline: does that exposure bring permanent damage to it's circuits (i.e. is the heat enough for damaging whenever contrast is affected) or is it only a cool gimmick ?
Reading in the melting sun is so much fun!
Be Szpilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've had my 505 since the first week in October 2007. I've never had a problem with it in direct sunlight.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:44 PM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzpilman View Post
Taking advantage of codeMonkey's necromancy ritual, I'd like to ask for the bottomline: does that exposure bring permanent damage to it's circuits (i.e. is the heat enough for damaging whenever contrast is affected) or is it only a cool gimmick ?
Reading in the melting sun is so much fun!
If the screen actually gets too hot I guess that might damage it. From the specs:
Operating Temperature : 5 to 35 °C (41 to 95 °F).
As for the washed out screen in the sun, some have suggested that it might be caused by the UV radiation making E-Ink particles lose their charge and "float away", so to speak. Don't know if it's true, but sounds plausible.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Mine does this. For some reason some eink devices do it, most do not (and I mean across the board; some Kindles, some Sonys, some Cool-ers). My 505 will do it, but my mom's 505 won't. Just keep it in the shade (which sometimes means just turning around, or angling so that the shadow from the cover blocks the sun). It goes away after you turn it off, or get it out of the sun and turn the page.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:11 AM   #13
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Cool-ER (running pocketbook firmware), Nokia N800, Nokia N900
If I'm in very bright sunlight I just tilt the reader downwards whilst I turn the page and there's no problem.

I'd agree with igorsk's assessment since the particles don't seem to fade on my reader once they've been "set", just while switching pages. I'd still like to know more about it.
codeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #14
Armaced
Enthusiast
Armaced began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-505
I have seen the same behavior on my 505. Turning pages in direct sunlight yields a lighter contrast page, and I can avoid it by tilting the reader away from the sun when I turn the page.

The operating specs surprise me. The upper range is 95 °F? It easily gets into low tripple digits in the summer where I live, and I like to read by the pool. I hope I am not cooking my 505...
Armaced is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contrast, e-ink, sunlight