Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-22-2014, 11:23 PM   #1
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Thoughts on how I can buy the US Harry Potter books in Canada?

So, I want to buy the harry potter books at pottermore.

I am in canada, the 'buy now' button for the English (US) version is greyed out.

I have to buy the English (UK) version, which makes no sense from a location pov. I do not want the UK version.

How can I buy the US version? If I use a US proxy, I can get the US version, but not sure how safe that would be.

I did find a free ssl proxy servers and services - it looks like all is well (get the ssl lock when checking out), but I just don't know if this would be a good idea.

Thoughts?
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:25 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't remember what I and some others did back when Pottermore opened (I wanted the UK editions instead of the US), but IIRC it involved setting up a second account and buying a "gift" for myself that I redeemed on my original account or something like that. If you search for the Pottermore thread I believe there were a couple of methods discovered. So now, even though I'm in the US I have the UK versions in for example my US Kindle account (can't remember if I linked them to anywhere else).

EDIT: Here is the method I followed (from the thread I mentioned)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean View Post
A person on the Amazon forums figured out a way to purchase a UK version of the books if you live in the US:

Quote:

OK. I was able to figure out how to buy the UK version of the HP books when you have a US account. You will need 2 Pottermore Store accounts. You will need your main US one to buy the book and a second UK one to get the books. So you will need 2 e-mail addresses.

1) Set up your main US account. This one will be where you buy the GB version.

2) Change the Book Language to English(GB). Not the site language, the book language.

3) You won't be able to use the buy button. Use the gift link just below the buy button.

4) Send the gift to yourself at a different e-mail address. Use UK as that gift recipients country.

5) You can now check out as normal using your US credit card.

6) Set up a second Pottermore Store account with the other email address, but this time select UK as the country of residence.

7) You will get the gift code in that email account you set when you bought the gift. Use that code to accept the gift in your second Pottermore account.

8) You will now have the UK version of the book. Go ahead and link your Amazon account and send it off to your Kindle. Even though it's a US Amazon account it works just fine. You will get Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...DiscussionsNew
No idea if the site is still set up the same way or if the above method still works. Pretty sure there was a slightly different method mentioned in that same thread a bit further on.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 07-23-2014 at 12:29 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2014, 04:09 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
I have to buy the English (UK) version, which makes no sense from a location pov. I do not want the UK version.
I thought that Canadian English was a lot closer to British English than to US English? Don't you want the books as the author originally wrote them, rather than the rather crude edits made for the US market?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I thought that Canadian English was a lot closer to British English than to US English? Don't you want the books as the author originally wrote them, rather than the rather crude edits made for the US market?
That is a good point.

Regarding the English, I am really not sure. I do know you have a lot of different words than we (or the US) for the same item. Boot vs trunk, for example.

Here is a more exhaustive list of word differences in the first book:

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/about/book...rences-ps.html

Some of the differences are obvious, others ones I probably wouldn't know what she meant (like 'comprehensive' instead of 'public school' or 'rounders' instead of 'baseball').

Maybe I'll just load up a British dictionary and give the books a go in their original format.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
foghat
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I don't remember what I and some others did back when Pottermore opened (I wanted the UK editions instead of the US), but IIRC it involved setting up a second account and buying a "gift" for myself that I redeemed on my original account or something like that. If you search for the Pottermore thread I believe there were a couple of methods discovered. So now, even though I'm in the US I have the UK versions in for example my US Kindle account (can't remember if I linked them to anywhere else).

EDIT: Here is the method I followed (from the thread I mentioned)...

No idea if the site is still set up the same way or if the above method still works. Pretty sure there was a slightly different method mentioned in that same thread a bit further on.
Thanks, I'll take a look. I know it is easy enough if I use a proxy, just not sure how safe that route is.

Not sure what I want to do now regarding the versions.
Advert
Old 07-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
A lot of Canadian vocabulary is closer to American than British. Saying that, I for one would always much rather read a text in the original than in some edited form. Get the original. You can always google words if you're not sure. The differences are not so great that it will be difficult, and the genuine vocabulary adds to the flavor of the text.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
A lot of Canadian vocabulary is closer to American than British. Saying that, I for one would always much rather read a text in the original than in some edited form. Get the original. You can always google words if you're not sure. The differences are not so great that it will be difficult, and the genuine vocabulary adds to the flavor of the text.
Yes, for me it really "grates on the eye" seeing American phrases like "parking lot" and "mail slot", rather than "car park" and "letter box", in the context of a story set in the UK.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Yes, for me it really "grates on the eye" seeing American phrases like "parking lot" and "mail slot", rather than "car park" and "letter box", in the context of a story set in the UK.
Same here. It all helps to make the setting feel more complete (not sure that's the word I'm looking for).

Last edited by AnemicOak; 07-23-2014 at 09:44 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
So, what's under the hood of that fancy English car? and what do you keep in the trunk?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #10
foghat
Evangelist

Though I never really thought about it in terms of the UK version being THE source, I agree and am going to get the UK version.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Though I never really thought about it in terms of the UK version being THE source, I agree and am going to get the UK version.
She is a British author, writing books set in Britain, so it's reasonable to consider the British versions as the original, IMHO .
Old 07-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #12
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I am in 2 minds about this. I often think that making changes for US readers (and viewers) underestimates their intelligence. Then I read some of the regular newspaper reports highlighting the insularity of US education, for example, the supposed inability to recognise locations outside the US. For instance, many US residents allegedly don't recognise the difference between Australia and Austria! Maybe it is a self-fulfilling prophecy if this is in fact true. Certainly my impression of higher education in the US is that it is mostly rigorous and the standards generally high. Is it really true that US residents require the mollycoddling they are given?

I'd suggest reading the original whenever possible.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #13
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I am in 2 minds about this. I often think that making changes for US readers (and viewers) underestimates their intelligence. Then I read some of the regular newspaper reports highlighting the insularity of US education, for example, the supposed inability to recognise locations outside the US. For instance, many US residents allegedly don't recognise the difference between Australia and Austria! Maybe it is a self-fulfilling prophecy if this is in fact true. Certainly my impression of higher education in the US is that it is mostly rigorous and the standards generally high. Is it really true that US residents require the mollycoddling they are given?

I'd suggest reading the original whenever possible.
You have to understand, the US has had TSA agents claiming people need to show passports because their drivers licenses from the District of Columbia and New Mexico weren't US issued IDs.

Greg
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #14
frddgls
Connoisseur
frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma, iPad, Samsung Galaxy A20
Quote:
The Canadian print versions of the book have the same text as the UK editions.
frddgls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I don't see anything unreasonable or mollycoddling about revising the spelling for the US market -- it is equivalent to translating it into Spanish/French/German/whatever.

What does irritate me is the clear dumbing down in the use of the term "Sorcerer's Stone", a non-existent figment of some stupid editor's imagination. The "Philosopher's Stone" is the ancient legend referred to.

Interestingly, a popular YA series, "The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel", has had no problems whatsoever with referring to it as what it actually is, and hasn't suffered as a result.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote