Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Alternative Cases for the Aura HD?

We all know that the stock cases currently available for the Aura are ultra-boss, providing you live and dream in black.

To Aura owners who don't, I pose the question: Have you found any other cases that fit the Aura HD and, if so, which ones?

(I'll definitely be trying several of my odd leather cases once my Aura's delivered. If any of them happen to fit, I'll let you know which.)

§ § § § § § § §

Edit: Here's the M-Edge sleeve originally designed for the Kindle 2, which I've been using ever since my Aura arrived. I haven't switched to a more fully featured cover because I've yet to find one in leather as nice or in a color as complimentary to my Aura's.

[A moderator deleted this image because its size "exceeded the guidelines" of MR; I'll try to look for another copy of the image and shrink it to 600 x 600 or less.]

The Aura doesn't slide at all and fits just under the lowest part of the U-shaped dip at the top of the case. The designer intended the center top part of the Kindle 2 to be exposed for the fingers to tug, but the Aura remains just out of sight, which I prefer for protection's sake. Tightened a tad, the belt strip still touches the top of the Aura and helps to secure it.

So to sum: The case protects the Aura more reliably than it did the device for which it was designed. It's also just snug enough, which means the Aura's kept in place without undue pressure. Additionally, the cinereal suede interior's unlikely to stain the screen.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 01-23-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
My roots sleeve for the original KOBO fits my Aura HD. I prefer not to read with a cover, but I do like to protect my reader when it is in my purse, so this works perfectly for me.

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
Bezel too white

I got the ivory Aura, and find the bezel is very white and distracting when outside in the light. It would be nice to have a case that covers up the white bezel. I'm not sure whether the black bezel would have been better.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
don't know whether this is geographically difficult for you, but caseable allows users to design their own case, Aura included:
http://uk.caseable.com/create-kobo-aura-hd-case
(or pick one of their design and modify it)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Oops!

Last edited by Willa; 04-24-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
I'm also looking for a nice purple or pink case before I buy the Aura. It must be the ultra slim sort though, hopefully somebody will make them in some lively colours. The ones for the Paperwhite are only £10-12 delivered, it would be nice to find the equivalent for the Aura. Unlikely, but I can live in hope as I would really like to get the Aura.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
I got the ivory Aura, and find the bezel is very white and distracting when outside in the light. It would be nice to have a case that covers up the white bezel. I'm not sure whether the black bezel would have been better.
If you look at the Aura and the Glo, you will see that the Aura is definitely less white and more cream than the Glo. I am not bothered by the white bezel, but that kind of thing is definitely a matter of personal taste.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Aren't there vendors on ETSY that offer to make custom cases?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
don't know whether this is geographically difficult for you, but caseable allows users to design their own case, Aura included:
http://uk.caseable.com/create-kobo-aura-hd-case
(or pick one of their design and modify it)
Looking at the page you linked to, here's what I wanted to know: If these cases are "hand-crafted in Brooklyn," then why am I being told to purchase them in the UK?

Changing the UK part of the web address took me to Caseable's U.S. store, so thanks for the suggestion!:

Caseable's U.S. Page: Cases for the Aura HD

Edit:

Sadly, when you look at the options for the case color apart from the printed sides -- i,e., the spine and insides -- you're restricted to white, black, and pink.

Oh, hell. Oh, well.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-25-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What are the chances of the caseable cases being fitted to the Aura's back?
Old 04-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Aren't there vendors on ETSY that offer to make custom cases?
Don't Etsy casemakers tend to work best when they have an actual device to work with -- particularly when the shape's as idiosyncratic as the Aura's?

If none of my current pocket sleeves fit the Aura, I'll make inquiries and tell you how it goes. Everyone else, feel free to do the same! Perhaps we can talk to the gentleman who made lovely leather sleeves for the PRS 950 and 350 a few years back.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I can fit my Aura into an older case I had for the Kobo WiFi. The shape of the back is a big plus, IMO, for a reader this size. Losing it with a generic case is not something I am interested in.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

One reason that I'm looking for case alternatives at home is to bide time while waiting for more correct colors from Kobo. Black doesn't go with dark brown and that's our only choice currently.

The gentleman who confected cases with custom designs on the covers for the PRS-350 and 950 might be someone to ask. His vintage-styled brown, cognac and burgundy cases were particularly nice.

Edit: Here's the gentleman I meant:

HMCurriers

Problem is, one of us would have to send him our Aura to model the case. Who's willing to part with theirs for that long?

Edit: The prices now seem a bit higher than I'd pay at this point.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-30-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
HardwareLust
HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Nook Color/Tablet, Kobo Aura HD/Mini, Kindle Paperwhite
I'm using my old CaseCrown suede sleeve that I originally bought for my Sony PRS-950. It's made for a 7" tablet, so it's not terribly form fitting, but it fills the bill until I find something better.

I have a Timbuk2 plush sleeve that I ordered for my Nexus 7. If that fits will, I'll probably steal that since I won't be spending time reading on my tablet anymore.
HardwareLust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
Gadget_girl
Connoisseur
Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Aura HD Espresso, Sony PRS-650
I made a padded cover for my new Espresso Aura. This is a cover pattern (I bought off of etsy 4 years ago & modified it.) I've used it for used for a Sony 600, PRs-650, and Kobo Touch. I modified the pockets, from the previous versions. I also made it before the Aura actually arrived, so the left corner tabs didn't fit correctly, but I used my sewing skills, and took the corners in so that they didn't cover the charging port or the top left corner of the screen. I usually hold my ereader with one finger between the ereader & the cover, and the corner of the ereader rests on the pad of my thumb, leaving my thumb free to turn the page. I find the creased back on the aura is quite handy for support this way. If the attachments worked, there should be pictures below.

- Edit to add - If anyone wants the directions for this, I can send you measurements and directions. It's not very difficult.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coverclosed.jpg
Views:	900
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	104945   Click image for larger version

Name:	CoverOpen.jpg
Views:	1175
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	104946  

Last edited by Gadget_girl; 04-25-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Offer to send pattern & directions.
Gadget_girl is offline   Reply With Quote