Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Hunger Games Trilogy Beats Harry Potter Series To Become All-Time Bestselling Book Se

Quote:
Although author Suzanne Collins only wrote three books, her Hunger Games trilogy has been able to zap the magic out of J.K. Rowling’s seven-part Harry Potter franchise on Amazon.com. Taking into consideration print and digital Kindle book sales combined, The Hunger Games, which are much shorter reads than the Potter books, have captivated a wider range of fans around the globe.
Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Interesting. I have the series, but have never read them. One day I just might do so.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
The movie Hunger Games is due at the Red Box this weekend. I will try to get it.

I love books, but I love movies maybe even more.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
The movie Hunger Games is due at the Red Box this weekend. I will try to get it.

I love books, but I love movies maybe even more.
Not movies, video books. Now you're justified.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I think I'd be a bit more impressed/convinced if someone published real numbers.

At any event, I don't expect to see a Hunger Games theme park any time soon.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I ain't buying it. On Amazon alone ... possibly. But even then, there's some fuzzy logic/semantic games going on in that article.
Quote:
zap the magic out of J.K. Rowling’s seven-part Harry Potter franchise on Amazon.com
Quote:
have captivated a wider range of fans around the globe
Quote:
consistently on our Top 10 lists in both print and Kindle formats, and The Hunger Games is also the most-borrowed book in the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library.
Trust me, I'm not really a fan of either series, so it's not simply the HP fanboi in me crying bullshit. I just don't believe that in a straight-up number-of-copies-sold-across-the-board-comparison, that Hunger Games has surpassed Harry Potter. I could be wrong, but my gut says no frickin' way.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm even surprised the HP series has sold at all on ebook considering the massive sales on print in the past decade. Who's left to buy the HP ebooks that has not read them on print yet ?
Also they mention combining prints and digital Kindle books ... Kindles though a substantial part of the e-book world is for that much NOT the entire book world right ?

Quote:
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I find it difficult to trust a source that claims Suzanne Collins only has written three books ... she also has written the five book series of "The Underland Chronicles" which is probably meant for a slightly younger crowd than the "Hunger Games", but is also quite good.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I find it difficult to trust a source that claims Suzanne Collins only has written three books ... she also has written the five book series of "The Underland Chronicles" which is probably meant for a slightly younger crowd than the "Hunger Games", but is also quite good.
I think they were referring to three books in the Hunger Games series. You know... as in "only" three books compared to the seven in the Harry Potter series. Making it even more astounding that three beloved books out-sold seven beloved books.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
The linked article kind of buries that these are only Amazon.com sales.

Quote:
Although author Suzanne Collins only wrote three books, her Hunger Games trilogy has been able to zap the magic out of J.K. Rowling’s seven-part Harry Potter franchise on Amazon.com,.
So this does not include international sales (including international Amazon sales), nor does it include sales of e-books not sold through Amazon.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
The linked article kind of buries that these are only Amazon.com sales.
So this does not include international sales (including international Amazon sales), nor does it include sales of e-books not sold through Amazon.
Nor does it state what period is covered - considering how long the Potter canon has been on sale, and over a very long period of time, this is a deliberately slewed piece of ad-speak.

Frankly, I'm very sure JKR's total sales are miles ahead on practically any sensible comparison - and I should think that would also apply to total Amazon sales as well.

And I'll be very surprised if Hunger Games is selling anywhere near the Potter sort of numbers in, say, 10 year's time.......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
my gut says no frickin' way.
Mine agrees. HP has been selling like hotcakes for umpteen years and Hunger Games is supposed to have overtaken it already? Nah, not on your nelly.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
I think I'd be a bit more impressed/convinced if someone published real numbers.

At any event, I don't expect to see a Hunger Games theme park any time soon.
I know some people I would by ride tickets for, though.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Of course the timing of this announcement corresponds to the launch of her new book, Gregor the Overlander, which was the Kindle Daily Deal today.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #15
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Frankly, I'm very sure JKR's total sales are miles ahead on practically any sensible comparison - and I should think that would also apply to total Amazon sales as well.
Especially since Deathly Hallows had the largest print run in history, with 12 million hardcovers in its initial release. (8 million sold within 24 hours.)

I can believe that sales of The Hunger Games trilogy are higher *on amazon.com* than sales of the Harry Potter series. Harry Potter ebooks were drastically delayed, and many people who aren't mobi-only readers prefer to buy them from Pottermore, without DRM, rather than through Amazon. And for the first several books, Amazon was a startup; it didn't monopolize online booksales--which were much smaller.

And if they're not counting amazon.uk, well, there's a certain "duh" factor involved. Famous US author exceeds sales of famous UK author on US bookstore site. Hm. Shocked, I am not.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote