Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
anyo1982
anyo1982 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anyo1982 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anyo1982 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anyo1982 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anyo1982 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anyo1982 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anyo1982 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anyo1982 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anyo1982 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anyo1982 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anyo1982 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Has anyone read the Greywalker series?

Is it any good? I'm looking for a new urban fantasy series to read, but I *hate* alpha male werewolves and/or TSTL heroines.

P.s. Sorry just realized maybe I opened the thread in wrong forum, if so, sorry mods

Last edited by anyo1982; 09-24-2012 at 12:12 PM.
anyo1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
No problem.

I'll move it to the Recommendations Forum. You should get better coverage there.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I have this series on my TBR list, but lower down due to the Goodreads ratings of the books. The first book has a rating of 3.41 and none of the books rate higher than a 4, which indicates to me that the series doesn't have many adoring fans. What other UF series have you liked? Some of my favourites are Allie Beckstrom, October Daye, Kate Daniels, and Iron Druid Chronicles. I also like Downside Ghosts and Cassandra Palmer, but the heroine is certainly flawed in both cases.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've read the first three. I liked the first one and would give it a C+/B- and read the next ones to see where she'd take things. The next two weren't bad, but didn't really grab me either and honestly I forgot about it at that point. I didn't realize it was up to book 7 already. I don't know that I'd pick it back up at this point, but then I got burned out on a lot of the UF stuff that was coming out a few years ago.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Have you tried Devon Monk's Allie Beckstrom series? I didn't think she was Too Stupid To Live, although sometimes I thought she was Too Stubborn To Live.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:40 AM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Its ok no Alpha male or TSTL heroine. There is actually more of a mystery element to them than other Urban Fantasy that I have read.
BTW if you are looking for an Urban Fantasy I would recommend The Chronicles of Elantra by Michelle Sagara.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:57 AM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
BTW if you are looking for an Urban Fantasy I would recommend The Chronicles of Elantra by Michelle Sagara.
This is one of my favorite series, although I think it leans more toward "fantasy" than "urban fantasy". I feel like there's a lot that goes over my head because I don't read much fantasy, so I'm not familiar with the "typical" fantasy tropes.

It's interesting you mentioned this - I've got it playing on the iPod right now, in preparation for getting Cast in Peril next week!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:48 AM   #8
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
TSTL?
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
TSTL?
To Stupid To Live
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I like the Greywalker series, though I'm a book or two behind in it.

I'd suggest C. E. Murphy's Urban Shaman series or Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series.

You can check out my current reading list - I've got a lot of urban fantasy authors listed there, since I'm mainly reading that and scifi right now:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=161317&page=4

It's post #58.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
fantasyISbetter
FantasyisBetter
fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I read the first 3 Greywalker- I think it's pretty good, what I would consider a "gentle" UF- without the blood soaked battles of many UF.
Authors I would recommend(with lst book series if there is a series) without the usual alpha male/kickass heroine (although some have vamps/weres):
Tanya Huff- Blood Price
Simmons, William Mark- One Foot in the Grave
Hanover, MLN Unclean Spirits
Black, Jenna The Devil Inside
Carey, Mike The Devil You Know
Connolly, Harry Child of Fire
Rowland, Diana Mark of the Demon
Saintcrow Lilith Working for the Devil
Hearne, Kevin Hounded
Moore, Christopher The Stupidest Angel
Williams, Liz The Snake Agent
McGuire, Seanan Rosemary and Rue
Lima Maria Matters of the Blood
Moning Karen Marie Darkfever
Pratt T A (Tim) Blood Engines
Weldon, Phaedra Wraith
Acevedo, Mario Nymphos of Rocky Flats
Armintrout, Jennifer The Turning: Book1:Blood Ties Series
Baker, Nancy The Night Inside aka Kiss of the Vampire
Hendee Barb Blood Memories
Newman, Kim Anno-Dracula
Rardin, Jennifer Once Bitten, Twice Shy

Last edited by fantasyISbetter; 09-30-2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Forgot a few recent likes:
fantasyISbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
fantasyISbetter
FantasyisBetter
fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Forgot a few recent books I liked:
Jacka, Benedict Fated
Aaronovitch, Ben Midnight Riot
McCullough, Kelly Webpage (magic and the old gods)
Rowland, Diana My Life as White Trash Zombie (hilarious)
Banks, Dakota Dark Time: Mortal Path Book 1
Duncan, Glen The Last Werewolf (from were's point of view, warning- explicit sex)
fantasyISbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #13
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I'm not a big fan of the genre, but I do enjoy the Charles Stross' "Laundry Files" novels.
For something completely different, try Jasper Fford's Thursday Next series.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote