Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #16
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
No offense intended, just giving the information for the general reader of this thread, now and in the future.
No offence taken, I tried to explain what happened exactly.
Btw, thanks for your work and efforts in the Kindle hacking world.
I've been porting and developing apps for IREX ereaders in MR though, but Kindle development is new for me.

Last edited by Iņigo; 06-21-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I edited this morning's post above and have added enabling rsync to my project todo list.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thread topic post updated.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #19
knc1
Going Viral

Navigate in the repo to KeK_Reference.pdf ;
Click raw;
Opens in document viewer;
Click the project server link;
File list opens in browser.

The basics work, now all I have to do is fill in that blank outline with words.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #20
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tũr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Talking watching with interest

I'll hold off on dataraping your repo till I'm sure what I want

I'll be gentle. promise

twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #21
knc1
Going Viral

Updated to include the MG/CS 2012.03 tool-chain public release. (gcc-4.6 series)
Old 06-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #22
knc1
Going Viral

Project repo and top post updated.
Resource description also posted at:
http://knetconnect.com/KeK/KeK_reference.xhtml
Old 06-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #23
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Working my way thru the hoops.

I've read the B) section of your new blurb and got all the external resources.

I'm reading http://npascut1.wordpress.com/2012/0...ation-for-arm/ excellent article that I should have read more thoroughly the first time I happened on it, again. no skimming this time.

For the next hapless reader who freakishly has exactly my config and requirements I'm making a tiny list here.

I run a 64 bit 13.1 Slackware arch, with Alien 32 bit multi-libs.
I have a B006 K3 Wifi. so Arm 6 I think.
(and a US DX, and a UK Kindle Wi-Fi)

I've grabbed the scratchbox 1.0.27 core, libs and two flavours ( of arm 7?? toolchain. possibly got that wrong) ... unsure about that step right now.

I've got the Qemu 1.0.1 source and it installed fine. after a meaty "make".

Got all the referenced sources from your doc. Ubuntu-core-armel-, gcc-linaro-arm, crosstool-ng-linaro and ancillary files.

Cleared a 5 Gb Partition and made it ext2 but I think I should have made it FAT?
would very much like to back up the entire content of the drive. but am not 100% clear on that but I'm working on it. bit unclear about getting the root FS from the kindle

Quote:
The usb drive is FAT, so ...
if you backup /dev/mmcblk0p4 at the device level, you backup the entire file system, including "deleted" files. Note: When you mount the image of mmcblk0p4 you have to specifiy an offset to losetup so that it can find the start of the file system in the image of the media (same as you would have to do with the image of a bootable floppy disk).
I'll try simply backing up the main directories via SSH and see how I go.

played with Debootstrap but Udev nixs the sbin/MAKEDEV so that's a no anyway.

So far even with all the best intentions and much reading I'm that far into the http://npascut1.wordpress.com/2012/0...ation-for-arm/ after several hours. ho hum. I need an idiots guide to the idiots guide perhaps... The curve is steep, the documentation is disparate, Bleeding edge baby yeah.

Anyways. When I've cracked it I'll shovel my experiences into a "howto on Slack 64", or something, assuming I get that far

Perhaps I'm missing a sticky or something but I don't see a simple "howto setup your stuff magically with no effort". step-by-step-while-making-tea.

Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction so far.
Big thanks to K for providing this great resource too, work appreciated: I assure you I am attempting to read the Friendly manuals ASAP. (just need to find some more heh)

Anyways I shall continue, I don't want to hijack this thread with my ramblings about a specific setup. However I thought a thumb-in-the-air for technical difficulty of "getting the project going" for a noob would not go amiss. never hurts to state the obvious I suppose.

So In a nutshell. what am I doing? just grabbing the main dirs or actually shovelling the lot off via a dd? thanks. apologies if this sound noobish. I am.

would be nice to get hacking on some audio plugins for the kindle.

I'm thinking something like "Pulsate" on chrome.

The graphics could do voice activation also... anyways, back to failing

Last edited by twobob; 06-30-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: added more devices
Old 06-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #24
twobob

Don't Fear the Repo

As a side note I haven't taken anything from the http://drpbox.knetconnect.com/KeK/ area

I grabbed a zip of the the repo. I noted it was not too hefty.

I see the http://drpbox.knetconnect.com/KeK/ files are decently weighty so as I said I shall hold off grabbing what I need until I figure out what that is

Thanks

Last edited by twobob; 06-30-2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: I actually went and looked in the repo as opposed to looking at it.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:02 PM   #25
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I see the http://drpbox.knetconnect.com/KeK/ files are decently weighty so as I said I shall hold off grabbing what I need until I figure out what that is

Thanks
http://knetconnect.com/KeK/KeK_reference.xhtml
Old 06-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #26
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I run a 64 bit 13.1 Slackware arch, with Alien 32 bit multi-libs.
I have a B006 K3 Wifi. so Arm 6 I think.
(and a US DX, and a UK Kindle Wi-Fi)
arch is ARMv6, fpu type is softfp (VFP), 16bit code is Thumb (implied by the VFP option).
At least sort-of, I will get to that section of the outline RSN.

Quote:
Cleared a 5 Gb Partition and made it ext2 but I think I should have made it FAT?
Leave it ext2 or convert it to ext3.
Do not try to do development work on a Windows type file system - they do not support some of the file system features (like symbolic links, ownership, permissions, etc) required by build systems.
Quote:
would very much like to back up the entire content of the drive. but am not 100% clear on that but I'm working on it. bit unclear about getting the root FS from the kindle
These are K3s?
Follow the new "Recovery path ... K3" thread. The most dependable way of getting the K3 contents off the Kindle.
That work is all done except the step-by-step write-up, which someone is working on.

Quote:
I'll try simply backing up the main directories via SSH and see how I go.

played with Debootstrap but Udev nixs the sbin/MAKEDEV so that's a no anyway.
It should run under slack - but there are complete images already built suitable for development use. So you can postpone dealing with making your own right now. Maybe later go back and solve that problem.

Quote:
Anyways. When I've cracked it I'll shovel my experiences into a "howto on Slack 64", or something, assuming I get that far

Perhaps I'm missing a sticky or something but I don't see a simple "howto setup your stuff magically with no effort". step-by-step-while-making-tea.
If you couldn't get Buildroot to work on your 64bit slackware installation, you should report the problems on their mailing list.

Buildroot is used commercially by quite a few firms, it is kept in an "always works" state. Not just the release points but the repo head can be expected to "just work".
They want to know if it doesn't.

You might have some problems under (un-supported) Cygwin or MacOSx - but it usually works on those platforms also.

Quote:
Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction so far.
Big thanks to K for providing this great resource too, work appreciated: I assure you I am attempting to read the Friendly manuals ASAP. (just need to find some more heh)

Anyways I shall continue, I don't want to hijack this thread with my ramblings about a specific setup. However I thought a thumb-in-the-air for technical difficulty of "getting the project going" for a noob would not go amiss. never hurts to state the obvious I suppose.
It does take a significant amount of time just to gather in one spot the things people would want when doing development.

Since there is just one of me, I have to alternate between collecting stuff and doing the write up.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #27
twobob

Quote:
elided...

Since there is just one of me, I have to alternate between collecting stuff and doing the write up.
Noted and appreciated I have run a couple of free projects and still do.

It was more a milestone-so-far observation than a swipe at the quality, just so we are clear. I am damn happy with everything you have done, may do, etc...

I did of course read the refs in B) extensively and will again. I grabbed all the stuff that was available ex-repo for now. I'm just erring on the side of caution

Will nudge something buildroots way then. The mailing-lists were a bit retro-daunting.

I backed all my files up eventually using Scp, seems a fairly comprehensive backup.
aside from the obvious proc, tmp and dev avoidees.

I'll have a play with that in the morning. oh it is the morning. when i wake up then.

Much appreciated I feel a lot more confident I will happen upon a complete solution I am comfortable with now. Many thanks.

To be honest I just want the best tools I can get my hands on to do some dsp wanglings which is my bent. Thanks again for the tips and tools. If I can be of some help documenting at some point I will have a bash.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:03 AM   #28
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I did of course read the refs in B) extensively and will again. I grabbed all the stuff that was available ex-repo for now. I'm just erring on the side of caution.
Pulling an archive form of the repository is well and good but will probably be obsolete within a day.

The repo has both RSS and ATOM hooks if you want to be notified of the changes.

You can get your own copy using Mercurial (hg) by:
hg clone http://hg.minimodding.com/repos/embed/kek.hg/

Directions here (it is very much like GIT):
http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/QuickStart/

Since this is (well, will be) an "invented here" build system, there will be a lot of future chances to submit additions and corrections. Having your own copy of the repo makes that a lot easier for everyone.

Contact address(es) can be found at the main repo listing:
http://hg.minimodding.com
Those repositories are all mine, as is all of the *.minimodding.com domains. See my homepage link on the left side of my posts.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #29
twobob

Happy daze

Quote:
Pulling an archive form of the repository is well and good but will probably be obsolete within a day.

The repo has both RSS and ATOM hooks if you want to be notified of the changes.

You can get your own copy using Mercurial (hg) by:
hg clone http://hg.minimodding.com/repos/embed/kek.hg/

Directions here (it is very much like GIT):
http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/QuickStart/

Since this is (well, will be) an "invented here" build system, there will be a lot of future chances to submit additions and corrections. Having your own copy of the repo makes that a lot easier for everyone.

Contact address(es) can be found at the main repo listing:
http://hg.minimodding.com
Those repositories are all mine, as is all of the *.minimodding.com domains. See my homepage link on the left side of my posts.

Hi, Thanks very much for the quickie guide to HG. I've cloned.
For the record I am already on the RSS list

I don't mind shifting sands, just happy to be on the edge.
since I am annoyingly awake again it's back to http://npascut1.wordpress.com/2012/0...ation-for-arm/ for me
Old 07-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #30
twobob

Post Scratchbox 2 - getting sb2-init to automatically generate a working target config

Scratchbox 2 has a little build quirk to document on Slack (other distribs untested)
THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR SLACKWARE 13.1 64 (but apply to other systems), adjust the fine details to your favourite OS flavour

To get the final init to build
Code:
"sb2-init {TargetName} /PATH-TO-X-COMPILER/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc"
the application realpath is required

so a quick step by step:
SITE:
scratchbox2 link: http://maemo.gitorious.org/scratchbox2

please replace the paths with relevant stuff for your system.

WARNING THESE INSTRUCTIONS MAY MAKE YOUR COMPUTER MUTATE AND YOUR FACE EXPLODE - USE THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK...

We presume here that you have already got the Code Sourcery toolchain, if you haven't search the forum for the info. (I may just add it here). Knowing WHERE it is IS required for the next section. thanks.

some directions:

mkdir $HOME/REPOS
# (if you don't already have one, we store our repository copies here)

cd $HOME/REPOS
# (went there)

git clone git://gitorious.org/scratchbox2/scratchbox2.git
# Got the repo

git clone https://github.com/dtjm/realpath.git
# For the required path resolver
# you could curl -LO http://github.com/dtjm/realpath/raw/master/realpath.c or wget or w/e I suppose

cd $HOME/REPOS/realpth

gcc -o realpath realpath.c
# build it

sudo install -m0755 realpath /usr/local/bin
# install it to wherever- if you don't have sudo perhaps just do it su and check the access afterward from the account you need it from to be double-sure it worked. clearly put it somewhere in your $PATH. That should make the sb2-init go through with no pain.

cd $HOME/REPOS/scratchbox2
# now do something with SB2

mkdir $HOME/buildroot
# (or w/e location you want to actually have the content build in, I chose kindle-buildroot)

cd $HOME/buildroot

cp -a /ABSOLUTE-PATH-TO-CODE-SOURCERY-TOOL-CHAIN/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libc/{lib,etc,usr} .
# note the period "." at the end, that matters
# this command copies the target rootfs contents into the buildroot dir for the sb2-init phase.

sb2-init my_target arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc
# that actual command has to have a FULLY qualified path to the compiler it would seem
# FOR EXAMPLE the command:
# sb2-init kindle /home/twobob/CodeSourcery/Sourcery_CodeBench_Lite_for_ARM_GNU_Linux/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc
# completed successfully

if all is well you should get a

"sb2-init completed successfully, have fun!"

There is also reference to fakeroot
I simply installed via gslapt using this REPO http://slackware.schoepfer.info/13.1_64/
if you have a different version than me just go hunt one down

Hope that helps someone. Let me know if that's not clear or if this is the wrong place for such info.
Or if I missed some critical detail again let me know.
Thanks

Last edited by twobob; 07-01-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: added the word "to", and updated fakeroot info - added sys details.