Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
hard shell case for Onyx M92?

I need to put M92 in my backpack when going to school. To better protect the device, I would like to put it in a hard shell case or a box. Does anyone have the same problem and any success in finding a good box or case for M92? Thanks.
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
Being a pretty obscure device I guess it's not gonna be easy to find specific covers for the M92. Have you tried generic tablet covers/cases?
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
FrancoisL
FrancoisL began at the beginning.

Device: Boox m92
Leather case for IPAD works for M92

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj123 View Post
I need to put M92 in my backpack when going to school. To better protect the device, I would like to put it in a hard shell case or a box. Does anyone have the same problem and any success in finding a good box or case for M92? Thanks.
I picked up a leather case for the IPAD2 with a hard shell and zippers for $20 at a discount store. It is made by Hipstreet (www.hipstreet.com) and is the Executive Leather case.

I slid my M92 in it and it fits! I had to cut off a little bit of leather to allow access to the buttons and the volume control, but the overall effect is not bad. In addition, the screen is now surrounded by a black frame, which improves the contrast of the eink screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M92-Leather.JPG
Views:	571
Size:	581.3 KB
ID:	86704   Click image for larger version

Name:	M92-Leather2.JPG
Views:	946
Size:	435.4 KB
ID:	86705  

Last edited by FrancoisL; 05-22-2012 at 09:52 PM.
FrancoisL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:11 AM   #4
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
Hi FrancoisL and iampiti, thank you for help. I am also thinking just to put the M92 in a cardboard box of the similar size. The Hipstreet case is really attractive, but I worry that if I get a Hipstreet case then the current case would become a waste.
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
FrancoisL
FrancoisL began at the beginning.

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj123 View Post
Hi FrancoisL and iampiti, thank you for help. I am also thinking just to put the M92 in a cardboard box of the similar size. The Hipstreet case is really attractive, but I worry that if I get a Hipstreet case then the current case would become a waste.
There is nothing special about the Hipstreet case. The important thing is that the M92 is roughly the same size as a IPAD.

Go to the discount stores; check if they have a hard shell case for IPAD2 or IPAD3 on sale; try to slide your M92 in it; if it fits and if the price is low, buy it!

Good luck!
FrancoisL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
Moinchen
Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
Angry Also looking for something like a hardshell case

I was also looking for a hardshell case for my new m92, but I have repeatedly been disappointed.

The reason for the hardcase is that I want to be able to put the device into a backpack where it must be protected from bending, which could harm the glass screen.

First, I ordered the 'Cool Bananas Triathlon Hardcover' - but it was flexible. Had to send it back.
Then, after speaking to a seller and being assured that this was what I was looking for, I ordered the 'Cool Bananans BulletProof Hardcase'. And again - it was flexible...
So now I'm going to give that back, too.

Has anyone come up with a solution for this problem?
I'm already thinking of finding a bread-case (made of plastic for transport of lunch to work) and stuffing it with some soft cloth or foam... But is there anything that has the necessary measurements?

(Why don't you sell something like that, booxtor...? Could be profitable )

Edit: If you have an idea where to get something like that in Germany, that would be very welcome!

Last edited by Moinchen; 09-29-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Country
Moinchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Lespaul
Enthusiast
Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
perhaps shapeways is an option? but not that cheap with the dimensions
Lespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
I guess those ipad hardcases could do their protective jobs while transporting in a backpack very well. But the price is not the lowest though

Last edited by Booxtor; 09-30-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
mr_mahermahey
mr_mahermahey began at the beginning.

Device: m92, sony 950
None of the covers described there have enough info in my opinion, especially whether they might guard against flex. What is the backing material in the leather/whatever? You should up the word count a bit, byte's are cheap Neither does the hipstreet one listed earlier though, what is 'hardshell' really? xx mil plastic? cardboard? aluminum? Will it guard against flex?

Don't mean to be particularly critical of your site, have been internet shopping this week and almost every site listing covers is just so vague... I'm afraid i'll actually have to go shopping in person. The horror!

About booxters' comment on price, I haven't seen a cover as expensive as a screen, don't think that should be a factor for those who know they're hard on electronics. Unfortunately we're probably a small set of people.
mr_mahermahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_mahermahey View Post
[...] I haven't seen a cover as expensive as a screen, don't think that should be a factor for those who know they're hard on electronics. Unfortunately we're probably a small set of people.
I'd buy a real hard shell (e.g. aluminum or steel) right away if only I were sure it fit good both when opened and when closed.
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
Moinchen
Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
Thanks for all your answers. I found exactly two different real HARD shell cases for ipad, one of which is the one proposed by booxtor - and I forgot the name of the other one. Both were too expensive in my eyes for what they can do. In essence, they are just aluminum cases (like those you use for cookies or tools) stuffed with some sort of foam.

I decided to try and build one myself. I already bought a really sturdy book (for 1 Euro) and emptied the contents (was about the Disney movie "High school musical"...).

For the padding, I got two cushions filled with a block of foam (2 Euros each) and cut the foam so it will fit the ereader with its case (from booxtor's shop).

Now I'm waiting for the decoration to arrive from ebay before I can go on. I want to wrap it in sticky foil in leather design (5 Euros including postage). This must be done before I go on working on the interior. I plan to cover the foam in fabric.

If someone is interested, I can post photos of the progress once I'm done.

This self-made hardcase will look like a big book, be quite cheap, water-repellant on the outside and sturdy enough to survive in a travel bag. I believe it will be too big for the usual backpack - but that's not such a problem for me.
Moinchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #12
mr_mahermahey
mr_mahermahey began at the beginning.

Device: m92, sony 950
I like pictures of DIY stuff, I've been thinking about a DIY solution. Hadn't realized booxtor was posting a link, those are close to what I'm looking for. If they didn't have the clips and/or excess space at the end and extra thickness for a paper pad.
mr_mahermahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
naravive
Enthusiast
naravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle, Boox M92
Hey, I have been working on my own solution to this problem, and I think I've found a very workable solution. The key is to search for a case for the IPAD 1 -- these are the dimensions that most closely fit the boox m92. What I now use is this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 -- the Targus Zierra case for Ipad 1. I'm sure you'll agree the (discounted) price is right. It contains the M92 very well and gives excellent hard-shell like protection; I certainly don't feel any worries for the screen. It has a slot for the stylus-- I personally have the stylus rubber-banded to a regular pen for thickness-- and other random things. If there's one big downside, it's the weight; it really is quite a heavy case and at first I found this awkward, though by and by I've grown used to it. But I have a feeling that if you want protection you're going to have to deal with a heavier case.
naravive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
I always bring up my m92 with me in a normal 'school' backpack.
I use the specific onyx boox hard leather cover called "passion of books".
Mine is from Artatech but you can find it also on Amazon.
It's money well spent
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote