Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
Question Questions about Sony Premium Cover

Could someone explain the "magnetic" features of the Sony Premium Cover? I have read comments about the cover having a magnetic closure.

I'd like to know how the magnetic feature of the cover works before I order one. I haven't been able to inspect a cover is person, since I live in the technological hinterland of the US. No stores in reasonable driving distance have the covers in stock.

I have tested my Touch edition with a small magnet, and the reader does not seem to have much ferrous material in it for a magnet to attract.

Is there a magnet in the front and or rear cover flap? Do they some how hold the cover closed on the reader, or do they just hold the flaps together when the front is folded all the way back?
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
dax123
Connoisseur
dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Silver PRS 600, Red PRS 650, Kindle 3 WiFi (Keyboard), Kindle 4 basic
If it's the same as the standard cover which is I think what it's called here it's got two little magnets on the front cover in each outside corner and two on the back also on the outside corners and when you close the cover it will stick to the player keeping it closed.
dax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Vis a vis the Touch, it is magnetic in the top and bottom right hand corners. If you get your stylus out you can tell where the magnets stop and start based on where your stylus sticks.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Example......stylus held on by magnet on my 600....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	magnet.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	36755  
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
Rangepath
Rangepath began at the beginning.

Device: HP Ipaq 214, BeBook;Prs-600
I had one of the premium leather covers and didn't think much of it, so I returned it. The Cover leather was ok but I found the striped lining had ripped along the centre seam(after only several days use) just next to the 600 connection bracket. But there was no sign of any magnetic closures on the cover and no sign of the `tell tail` lumps at the inner corners. I've now got one of the covers with the built in light and it does `stick` to the corners of the 600, not very well but better than nothing
Rangepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
on my cover with striped lining the magnet is in the centre of the front, not the corners. Hope my lining doesn't rip, it is supposed to have a lifetime guarantee according to the box so I would return for an exchange.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
Thanks everyone. That answers my main question. I'm going to order one now. Hopefully, the build quality will be better than Rangepath's first cover.
I didn't expect the magnets to be in the reader. That's a good trick with the stylus.
From the comments in other threads, I assumed the magnets were just in the cover. Are they, in fact, in both the cover and the reader?
As strong as the magnets in the reader seem to be, I can see how Sony could easily get by with just a thin piece of steel in the corners of the cover so there wouldn't be any tell tale lumps.
Rangepath, You said the cover with built in light sticks to the corners of the reader, did the cover you returned stick also?
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
I think for those UK types that your "premium" cover is the Proporta one (or something like that?) In North America it is just the plain old Sony version - no striped lining and magnets on top and bottom.

For the OP, I'm not sure the cover has "magnets" I think it probably just has metal inserts on top and bottom corners to bind to the magnets on the device (the reverse of what you were expecting). At least my stylus has no desire to stick to the cover... There are definitely visible lumps though so more than just a thin strip.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
Rangepath
Rangepath began at the beginning.

Device: HP Ipaq 214, BeBook;Prs-600
MSJim: no the premium leather cover I returned didnt stick at all; there was nothing to keep it closed other than gravity! As was said by MelC it is made by Proporta and in fact they do a similar leather one with a clasp which I would have bought if it hadnt been sold out. It was coloured purple though.
Rangepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:57 AM   #10
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJim View Post
I have tested my Touch edition with a small magnet, and the reader does not seem to have much ferrous material in it for a magnet to attract.
I think one of the best reviews that demonstrate the magnet cover would be one for the 700. I have both and they pretty much work the exact same way. Check out this video from mos and it should give you a pretty good idea of exactly how the cover magnet works on the 600.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=700+review
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:04 AM   #11
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJim View Post
As strong as the magnets in the reader seem to be, I can see how Sony could easily get by with just a thin piece of steel in the corners of the cover so there wouldn't be any tell tale lumps.
There are tell tale lumps in the corners of my 600 but in my 700 there isn't anything. As a matter of fact, I didn't even realise it was magnetic until I saw mos' video.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote