Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-01-2019, 12:22 AM   #1
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur
MrSlow&Steady began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Is It Possible To Convert Epub Files 40 MB And Above

So I am trying to convert several books that are above 40 MB. Sadly, I have not been able to convert them on Calibre. Is it actually possible to convert these files? Or no?
MrSlow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:28 AM   #2
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Can you put one up on a file sharing service? My computer has gobs of ram, so if it's a ram limitation we'll find out.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2019, 01:20 AM   #3
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Can you put one up on a file sharing service? My computer has gobs of ram, so if it's a ram limitation we'll find out.
This is my first time here so how do I do that? From what I explored there's lots of places to do that.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:28 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can convert any size fo book in calibre as long as your computer has enough RAM. If you are on windows, install the 64bit version of calibre to make use of more RAM
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:04 AM   #5
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can convert any size fo book in calibre as long as your computer has enough RAM. If you are on windows, install the 64bit version of calibre to make use of more RAM
By 64 bit you mean it has 64 MB right?
Advert
Old 08-01-2019, 02:20 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No I mean 64bit look for windows 64bit here https://calibre-ebook.com/download

and uninstall your existing calibre first (uninstalling wont affect your books/settings)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:43 PM   #7
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlow&Steady View Post
This is my first time here so how do I do that? From what I explored there's lots of places to do that.
Upload it to a file sharing service then post in this thread the link that it gives you. I've used rapidgator.net in the past.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:18 PM   #8
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No I mean 64bit look for windows 64bit here https://calibre-ebook.com/download

and uninstall your existing calibre first (uninstalling wont affect your books/settings)
I tried getting it converted for over three hours. It still didn't work.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:22 PM   #9
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
Upload it to a file sharing service then post in this thread the link that it gives you. I've used rapidgator.net in the past.
Would it be better if I gave you the link for you to download it personally? It's probably easier.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:27 PM   #10
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Would it be better if I gave you the link for you to download it personally? It's probably easier.
Sure, whatever works for you.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:30 PM   #11
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
Sure, whatever works for you.
https://madeinchinajournal.com/books/

Download the books from "Made in China Yearbook Series" in epub format and try converting them without risking your laptop crashing.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:30 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I took a look at the Dog Days, Made in China Yearbook 2018. The epub version which downloaded as "fixed.epub" is a fixed layout epub3 book. Looking at the structure of the ebook, every XHTML file is a single page. You might actually be better off using the PDF file as the starting point for your conversion.

When I started the conversion from EPUB to AZW3, the memory use started climbing and after 6 minutes had gone over 8GB with the CPU sitting around 22% (calibre and associated worker modules).

Conversion has been running for 16 minutes and has jumped from 1% to 47% where I suspect it will be sitting for quite a while going by previous conversions.

I've attached a couple of images. One is from Windows Task Manager, the other is from the epub as rendered on a Kobo Clara HD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	conversion.png
Views:	82
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	172724   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	90
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	172725  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:05 PM   #13
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I took a look at the Dog Days, Made in China Yearbook 2018. The epub version which downloaded as "fixed.epub" is a fixed layout epub3 book. Looking at the structure of the ebook, every XHTML file is a single page. You might actually be better off using the PDF file as the starting point for your conversion.

When I started the conversion from EPUB to AZW3, the memory use started climbing and after 6 minutes had gone over 8GB with the CPU sitting around 22% (calibre and associated worker modules).

Conversion has been running for 16 minutes and has jumped from 1% to 47% where I suspect it will be sitting for quite a while going by previous conversions.

I've attached a couple of images. One is from Windows Task Manager, the other is from the epub as rendered on a Kobo Clara HD.
I gave up at this point. I don't want to put my laptop through any more stress. In the mean time tell me how it goes for you. I'll do the conversion from PDF path and see how it goes.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:38 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I gave up at this point. I don't want to put my laptop through any more stress. In the mean time tell me how it goes for you. I'll do the conversion from PDF path and see how it goes.
What format are you attempting to convert to?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:27 PM   #15
lumpynose
Wizard

Every word in it is absolutely positioned; e.g.

Code:
<span id="_idTextSpan4945" class="CharOverride-19" style="position:absolute;top:6584.25px;left:1986.07px;letter-spacing:-0.13px;">unprecedented </span>
So I don't think it's the size but all of that html stuff. Like DNSB said, another approach would more likely be fruitful. Maybe figure out a way to strip out the spans around each word, and then start over reformatting it.

I opened it in Sigil and its previewer displays it nicely. Likewise with Adobe Digital Editions. And Calibre's viewer. But the font size is fixed and small so it's hard to read.

I'm tempted to load it onto my kobo and see if it crashes it.

Last edited by lumpynose; 08-01-2019 at 09:32 PM.