Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #31
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I don't like this one. It uses your checking account.
Isn't your health, SSN, and drivers license a bigger problem?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:53 PM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Isn't your health, SSN, and drivers license a bigger problem?
No; not getting the 2nd year for a warranty is the bigger problem. My credit card doubles the warranty (up to one year) on purchases and my checking account doesn't.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2014, 06:59 PM   #33
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
No; not getting the 2nd year for a warranty is the bigger problem. My credit card doubles the warranty (up to one year) on purchases and my checking account doesn't.
Ah, so it is real problems as opposed to the ones where companies have your private medical data and stuff.

Because Monkey knows they have it already...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #34
Skip Wyona
Enthusiast
Skip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmos

Device: none
Consumers need to better aware about what is really happening with the conflict over Apple Pay / Goggle Wallet and CurrentC (the product being developed by MCX). So take off your partisan glasses and investigate what these new methods of payment really means for the consumer.

When you purchase any item with a credit card, the business you purchase from pays a 2-3% fee to the credit card company. Ask any retailer about this. When you use Apple Pay or Goggle Wallet you are paying by credit card without needing the card itself through a secure encrypted system. This is all that Apple Pay does. The business owner still needs to pay a use fee to the credit card company. No consumer information is ever collected through this payment system. CurrentC is very different.

CurrentC does not use credit cards so there is no 2-3% fee charged to the selling business. Instead your purchase costs are directly subtracted from your bank account as a debit charge. The business owner that sells you the product is charged nothing. This means that the transaction company (MSX) must keep on file all of your banking data, access to your bank accounts, personal Identification data such as your Social Security number, your Driver's License number, and any other required identification, etc, etc. This also means that MSX can collect and use your personal shopping statistics, such as what you buy, and target you with ads via postal mail or e-mail.

See the difference?

I do not own a smartphone nor ever intent to use Apple Pay.
Skip Wyona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:27 PM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Ah, so it is real problems as opposed to the ones where companies have your private medical data and stuff.

Because Monkey knows they have it already...
They have it all, and I really don't care. I'm not a tin foil hat monkey
Advert
Old 10-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #36
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
So you are saying that Apple's problem is the existence of only one kind of tablet - the high end / high price version. You couldn't pay even more money for more power (other than storage capacity). The average user is just going to have to live with a device that is too powerful? Even if Apple wanted to, they could not compete in the lesser powerful tablet market and still maintain their profit margins.
No, that is not what I am saying at all.

If a tablet is performing perfectly well for an owner, then there is little incentive to upgrade that tablet. End of story.

Only a keen tech user would upgrade a tablet every year to a newer model whether that is an Android or an Apple tablet. OS type makes no difference.

For example, I skipped three newer versions of the iPad before I upgraded because my iPad2 did the job perfectly well for me. It is now time for me to upgrade. I am certainly not alone in this.

With the tablet market saturated and most people who wanted a tablet already owning one, it is obvious that the market has slowed.

Those who want a new tablet will buy one and those who do not want or need to upgrade will not.

Last edited by sabredog; 10-27-2014 at 07:34 PM.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #37
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
I don't want money ever taken directly from my checking account for purchases with no pin necessary. I could never understand all those commercials about the Visa check card. They advertised that you could have the money taken directly from your checking account with no pin or ID required! Like that's a good thing?!? The only mac card I have is an old one that no longer works for purchases. I use one of my credit cards for all purchases I will pay in full every month. That way I use their money for free.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #38
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I use one of my credit cards for all purchases I will pay in full every month. That way I use their money for free.
I charge everything I can and then pay in full every month.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #39
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Given a choice, I'll stick with cash IRL.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Given a choice, I'll stick with cash IRL.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:29 PM   #41
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I pay cash for everything I can. Since interest rates have been negative for years, float has no value to me.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #42
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I pay cash for everything I can. Since interest rates have been negative for years, float has no value to me.
It has no value now but it will again so I might as well stay in the habit of charging and paying in full.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #43
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It gets me cash back at the end of the year, doubles the warranty on purchases, and offers other discounts I take advantage of. Float has great value for me.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:41 PM   #44
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
See, I do this too. It makes my dad angry though because then he doesn't have anyone to pay his credit card or electricity bill which is checking account only.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:04 PM   #45
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
It has no value now but it will again so I might as well stay in the habit of charging and paying in full.
I was also deprived of all the fun and games with Target, etc.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote