Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #16
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Have to agree. Apple "could" be making a boatload of money, but if it isn't as much as people expected, then somehow Apple is doing bad. I am not a fan of that mentality.

Apple is making a boatload of money. Until recently there wasn't much competition, though. I do not believe that they can keep on going the way they are doing right now and still expect to make as much money. There is not that big a difference any more between iOS and Android. Even switching from one to the other is not too difficult. To get the best tablet an iPad is no longer the only option - hasn't been for a while.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
To cater to consumers perhaps should be a pretty good reason.
Not good enough to turn over control of the customer relationship to a third party. That is the very reason why neither Amazon nor Google have made much dent. Even Square has had limited traction because the days of retailers blindly outsourcing critical parts of their business to tech companies are over.

As the article points out, the retailers want a solution that puts them and their brands out front and keeps the tech platform in the background. And that solution needs to be multiplatform, which Apple products rarely are. By now retailers are very much aware that Apple Pay exists primarily to sell Apple phones and generate revenue for Apple. Their idea of a digital payments system is one that sits quietly in the background, never seen, never mentioned, not a high profile brand on its own like VISA, MASTERCARD, AMERICAN EXPRESS... APPLE...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2014, 09:23 AM   #18
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
If it only caters to a select few consumers, then the store has to decide whether or not it's worth it. For some, it will be. For others, probably not...especially if there is any additional expense involved in doing it.

Shari
There is this one option to create an app that works on both iOS and Android that takes advantage of NFC which both can do. That would be perfect for everybody, except Apple and Google. Not going to happen though.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #19
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
To cater to consumers perhaps should be a pretty good reason.
Consumers aren't suffering from a lack of payment methods. At the end of the day consumers would have to pay Apple for its services.
The retailers would have to be insane to allow Apple to bulldoze its way into their relationship with their customers.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #20
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post

Apple is making a boatload of money. Until recently there wasn't much competition, though. I do not believe that they can keep on going the way they are doing right now and still expect to make as much money. There is not that big a difference any more between iOS and Android. Even switching from one to the other is not too difficult. To get the best tablet an iPad is no longer the only option - hasn't been for a while.
What I meant was that no matter how much money they are making, it isn't about that, it is all about the expectations, which can sometimes seem to have no basis in reality.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #21
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
What I meant was that no matter how much money they are making, it isn't about that, it is all about the expectations, which can sometimes seem to have no basis in reality.
Yes, expectations for Apple are irrational.
It's an unavoidable side effect of years and years of "insanely great" hype.
Can't have one without the other.

(Shrug)
Old 10-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
As much as everyone likes to knock ipads they do actually work very well, and for years and years. There's no need to replace what's still works fine. Hubby's ipad three is soldiering along nicely and he's still on IOS 6, he won't upgrade.
Except for the part where they cut off support every two or three devices along, although technically they "provide an iOS update" that kills the device.

Sure you can just not update. But a lot of apps are no longer downloadable on iOS7 from what I hear...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #23
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
The Ipad is overpriced and under powered plus the new iphone is eating some of the ipad market ... I just don't get this watch thing... if you have to cart the phone or ipad around anyway why bother? ditto for the android version .. but I suspect the hard core apple cultists will run out and buy it anyway ....
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #24
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I know Apple is not the first to Apple Pay's retail space. Doesn't matter. They will get the job done well and resistance is futile. CVS et al are losing money by avoiding it.

What I look forward to most is not having my credit card replaced due to fraud at least once a year, as it has been recently. The retail location never sees my original credit card. They only see a one-time number. That alone is worth it to me. I can also 'carry' more credit cards this way than my Big Skinny wallet would be comfortable holding. Win win.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
What I look forward to most is not having my credit card replaced due to fraud at least once a year, as it has been recently.
You certainly have rotten luck. I've never been the victim of credit card fraud. I prefer credit cards over these NFC pay systems, because I don't routinely carry a compatible NFC device with me.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:38 PM   #26
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
While Apple phone and Mac sales are doing well, setting records. iPads aren't doing so well with continuing decreasing sales.

There have also been problems with the Apple Pay systems. Two major pharmacy chains are ceasing use of Apple Pay.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-1...ct-system.html

It remains to be seen how the Apple Watch will be recieved.
From the article.

Quote:
Apple’s shares, up 31 percent this year through yesterday, fell 3 cents to $105.19 as of 1:39 p.m. in New York.
Stock is at an all time high. Doom and gloom indeed.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does anyone make a dongle for these pay systems?
Old 10-27-2014, 06:29 PM   #28
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post

What I look forward to most is not having my credit card replaced due to fraud at least once a year, as it has been recently.
I've been hit 3 times in the last 8 or so years. It's a huge PITA.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:33 PM   #29
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

What CurrentC looks like:
http://www.tuaw.com/2014/10/27/a-clo...ite-aid-are-d/

1- It is QRcode based
2- No financial data is transmitted, just a token that identifies the transaction

50 companies behind it include the biggest of the big: WalMart, BestBuy, target, etc.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
What CurrentC looks like:
http://www.tuaw.com/2014/10/27/a-clo...ite-aid-are-d/

1- It is QRcode based
2- No financial data is transmitted, just a token that identifies the transaction

50 companies behind it include the biggest of the big: WalMart, BestBuy, target, etc.
I don't like this one. It uses your checking account.