Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
Dullahir
Zealot
Dullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Android
Question about the Calibre Content Server?

Hello, I have a question regarding the Calibre Content Server.

Well actually several. The first being: If I were to 'Upload' the books onto the server by keeping them in the Library, how safe would they be? Would it be safe to delete them from my PC? I'm guessing no.

Also, would it be possible for me to share my Library with users who are operating on a Nexus 7 Google tablet? I always share my books with them, and I would LOVE for them to be able to pick and choose which books they want and have them be able to read them at their leisure without having to wait for me to upload it for them. The people I speak of are my in-laws, by the way.

Also, I noticed that when I 'Get' a book from the Content Server, it gives me the option to download it. Would it be possible to 'Read' it from the server instead of downloading something I already have? Also, would they be able to download it by this method to their tablet?
Dullahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
Dullahir
Zealot
Dullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Android
I also just tried to access the server link from a PC on a network drive while this laptop was running Calibre, and I got a 'Page not Found' issue. I'd be more then happy to share my collection with the community (One of my goals, hence the importance of trying to browser the link from a different computer.) But I'd also like my family to view as well, and they just use Nexus 7's, rarely a laptop although they do own.

Last edited by Dullahir; 04-25-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Dullahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2013, 02:30 AM   #3
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
It is up to you to make it safe.

My main storage for books is calibre. But I also have backups. First I have a backup of all books as they were when I first got them, in folders with date. Then I have several daily, weekly, monthly and yearly automated backups of the calibre library itself using the excellent "Back in time" backup software (based on rsync) in Linux, to a separate computer in my network. Also I have my calibre library on a raid5 disc array on a NAS, using NFS.

I also have weekly automated backups in several generations to two different removable big encrypted USB discs, also using rsync, but those I store at work. Since I currently store all my books on my device, ready to read, I also consider my reading device to be a backup of my books.

My backup system is not only used to backup my books, but everything that I have on my home network, that I can't quickly/easily replace from the Internet. Typically files I have created or modified myself. Documents, books, photos and recordings. But I don't backup most downloaded media files to my removable USB discs.

As long as you are on the same network you should be able to access the content server from any computer or device with a browser or a OPDS client. If not you are most likely doing something wrong. Read the fine manual again.

It may be illegal to share the books, so be careful not to break any laws. If you share books using the content server the books are only visible on the same network, typically the local 192.168.*.* network at home, unless you use the functionality of your firewall and router for port forwarding to give access to the content server to the outside network (internet). Again, check the manuals for the firewall and router. That can be difficult, dangerous and illegal, and may make you a target for hackers, and it may also be against the terms of your Internet provider. Check! (I wouldn't do it.) Also you may need to use some service for dynamic dns if your IP on the Internet is dynamic, to make it possible for others to find your computer. It might be safer and simpler to just use some cloud service like Dropbox or mail copies of books. But that may also be illegal for copyright reasons.

A backup copy of the calibre library, with calibre portable, on a thumbdrive, could be another way to share books.

Last edited by Adoby; 04-25-2013 at 03:26 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote