Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
roger_15
Enthusiast
roger_15 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 3G/NookColor
Preparing to Root question

I seem to have all I need to root my NC except I'm not sure about my microSD
card. In the instructions, it suggest a class 6 SD card. It states that anything
less may not work.

What are your experiences in this matter?

My card is a Sandisk 8gb HC unit. It has a semi-circle with a 2 inside so I
assume it is a class 2. I didn't even see any at the BB site quoting anything
higher than a 4.

I will not go out and spend a lot of money for a class 6 card if it proves to be
necessary.

Thanks.
roger_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
dthmj
dthmj began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I am getting ready to root my NC as well. And I too only had a Class 2 card - but I didn't want to risk any frustration.

I went to 4 stores yesterday - found one Class 6 card at Office Max - it was $44, but included a reader (and was 8GB).

But I found what I think is a Class 6 4GB at Staples.com for $18 (no reader though)
http://www.staples.com/Staples-Relay...P1987:CL163931

The description doesn't include what class it is - but image clearly shows a circle with a 6 on the actual card.

Also, I think Amazon has some Class 6 cards that are in the $20 range.
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
I have no idea what class card I used....it's very old, I used the 1GB card from my phone....It doesn't say what class it is....unless you can tell by these numbers (these are imprinted on the card)

1GB
MicroSD
0809CA9719A
SD-C01G Taiwain

Since rooting, I bought a 8GB card, from Walmart.....I don't even see where it states what class that card is.....on the card or the packaging.....I haven't had to re-root with it.....
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I have no idea what class card I used....it's very old, I used the 1GB card from my phone....It doesn't say what class it is....unless you can tell by these numbers (these are imprinted on the card)

1GB
MicroSD
0809CA9719A
SD-C01G Taiwain

Since rooting, I bought a 8GB card, from Walmart.....I don't even see where it states what class that card is.....on the card or the packaging.....I haven't had to re-root with it.....
If it doesn't specify the class, it is most likely class 2. I rooted mine with a class 4. Personally, I do not see how the class could affect the rooting, at worst it would take longer to finish the process.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
If it doesn't specify the class, it is most likely class 2. I rooted mine with a class 4. Personally, I do not see how the class could affect the rooting, at worst it would take longer to finish the process.
I didn't seem to have any major issues when rooting.....if it took longer than usual, I wouldn't know.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_15 View Post
In the instructions, it suggest a class 6 SD card. It states that anything less may not work.
Thanks.
I guess I missed that suggestion, I'd have probably went out searching for a class 6 card before rooting, had I noticed it.....(same as your doing)
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
roger_15
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies.

I was hoping to hear from people that had used something less than class 6.
I'll assume I have.

After pulling out half my hair and carving pretty pictures on my forearm, I have
given up my local phone search. No one out there understands what "class 6"
even means. They are nice enough people so I won't rag on them, but I do wish
the stores that sell these products would give their sales people a little training
about what they're selling; albeit most shoppers don't know or care how fast the
cards read or write.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
roger_15
Enthusiast

Oops, I didn't notice the new sub forum. Sorry.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
ShadowDragon
Enthusiast
ShadowDragon has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Kobo Aura HD
I used and older 256MB micro sd card and it rooted fine. Of course now I want a bigger card, but for the purposes of rooting, I don't think class number is a big deal.
ShadowDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I used a class 2.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
I used a class 2, and had no problems.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #11
roger_15
Enthusiast

I was successful

Thanks all, and welcome back SCION.

The card worked fine but earlier I was unable to download the auto-rooter file.
I guess it was bogged down; maybe a lot of new Nooks exploring new possibilities.

So I decided to use the "bare bones" file. That didn't seem to do anything
except make my screen flicker. Not bad but I noticed it. Then I just did a hard
reset and took it back to basics. Later I was able to get the auto and that worked flawlessly. The first thing I did was get Angry Birds. Foolish I guess
but it did prove to me all was working.

At least I can say for a fact, that my class 2 card worked fine.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthmj View Post

But I found what I think is a Class 6 4GB at Staples.com for $18 (no reader though)
http://www.staples.com/Staples-Relay...P1987:CL163931

The description doesn't include what class it is - but image clearly shows a circle with a 6 on the actual card.
If you Zoom View the picture, it does say the word "Class" right before the 6-in-a-circle.......
leday is offline   Reply With Quote