Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
dashto
dashto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Images in Books- Not Present???

Hey there folks,

A concern. I've purchased a few ebooks from Kobo, and all of the images that should be in the books.... aren't there.

This is particularly a problem with an academic book that refers to tables.... As well as a problem with a book that I got that ends with an image illustrating a business card. Without that image, the book's ending makes no sense.

I wondered if this is because I have an original kobo (firmware 1.4) and if this will be resolved in a future release, but the images aren't present in the desktop version of the books either.

So, thoughts? What's going on? This seems like a pretty major problem.

Thanks,
Ian
dashto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Ian, on the original Kobo reader, you will need to download the ePubs from your Kobo account (it's actually an .acsm file; open in Adobe Digital Edition to download the ePub). You can then drag and drop that to your Kobo once it's authorized in ADE.

I'm not sure if the long-awaited firmware update will include support for images in native Kobo files on the original Kobo, but this is not a horrible solution.

Last edited by dmacmart; 11-23-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: typo
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Yes, there are images in the update--just as their are already for WiFI. The beta testing of the Kobo-O firmware and the new desktop is going very well-it should not be all that much longer until release. No date, no promises -- just my impression at this point.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
It is a major problem for anyone reading non-fiction. How anyone can seriously develop a new ebook format and then forget to include diagrams and illustrations is beyond me. I was caught out by this, and found, after talking to the Kobo helpdesk, that the only solution is to download Adobe Digital Editions software from Adobe, authorize it on your computer and your Kobo, then download the books from your Kobo digital library in ePub format to ADE, and from there transfer them to your Kobo.

Having to go through that procedure for something that should have been simple and straightforward was the incentive I needed to learn how to remove DRM from the books I had bought, and to use Calibre to manage the library.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
dashto
dashto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
How do you strip DRM

How is this accomplished?
dashto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
We can't give instructions on MR, but Apprentice Alf has a place on the web where he is more forthcoming. Search.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote