Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #16
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
No, I don't see it.
We have spent a generation getting AWAY from having to go out and buy and store individual pieces of media of all kinds, there is no reason to go back to it.
Agreed. I know I wouldn't want to have to keep track of all of the cards I would have. Not to mention it negates one of the biggest advantages of ereaders - the ability to get a book in a matter of seconds without leaving my house.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #17
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It also occurs to me that people who really want to go to a store and buy an ebook, can bring their Nook to the service desk of a B&N store and the associate will magically make that book appear on their device for them....
I bet they could bring their Kindle or Nook to the service desk of a Best Buy or Radio Shack, or similar, and people there would probably push the couple of buttons required on the device for them. And if not, heck it's a business opportunity. Call it the ebook counter...charge $1 extra for the service so the people feel like they are actually buying something....
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #18
misling
Zealot
misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A few years back, somebody tried to market a mp3 player like this. The mp3 player had a card slot, and albums were on cards (one per card). The idea was you would buy the music that way, and wouldn't need a computer or wifi or download ability.
It died a fast death in the marketplace.

As I recall it was called 'slotradio' ?

Last edited by misling; 10-23-2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: adding the name
misling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #19
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
It also occurs to me that people who really want to go to a store and buy an ebook, can bring their Nook to the service desk of a B&N store and the associate will magically make that book appear on their device for them....
I bet they could bring their Kindle or Nook to the service desk of a Best Buy or Radio Shack, or similar, and people there would probably push the couple of buttons required on the device for them. And if not, heck it's a business opportunity. Call it the ebook counter...charge $1 extra for the service so the people feel like they are actually buying something....
That may be the best option for someone who for whatever reason can't manage the technology. By a Nook, and go to the help desk at B&N when you need a book.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #20
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
At least one Norwegian bookstore/publisher started doing this two years ago. They sell e-books loaded on magnetic cards(the size of a credit card), and you need a special reader with a card slot in the back, and you can buy the cards (one per book) in the stores. I don't know anything about how much they sell of these, compared to electronic files, it's probably not a lot.

Hmm, looking for a picture of the reader, I see that they also sell audio books in the same way now, so maybe it's more successful than everybody thought. They where made fun of when they launch it.

The big publishers in Norway own the big bookstore chains, so my guess is that ebooks is not their favourite media
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #21
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
One might be able to tap into a small segment of the senior population. I know someone in her 90s, with very poor eyesight, considering a machine that would take her p books, and project them on to her tv, so she can see them again. The device is sold by one of the catalogues from the States. For some reason, a kindle seemed intimidating to her- whereas she is already familiar with her tv and books.

But even if one could capture that segment of buyers, they are passing on, so why would publishers and booksellers want to invest in hobbled cards and hobbled e-readers? E-readers are already very cheap. The real costs /investments are the library of ebooks buyers builds up.

Last edited by Victoria; 10-26-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote