Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #31
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Do you think FW could negotiate an exception for existing BW members allowing them to keep the existing discounts?
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #32
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
Do you think FW could negotiate an exception for existing BW members allowing them to keep the existing discounts?
Not likely. Apple's contracts require that nobody offer lower prices than theirs; other bookstores are trying for the same terms.

It's possible that FW could keep its lower prices by offering *rebates* instead of *discounts*--Micropay dollars probably don't affect anything. But by offering a direct discount, they run into contract terms that the publishers aren't going to be willing/able to change.

It's possible that some bookstores will start figuring out how to play with rebates instead of discounts--buy this book, and get a $1 credit in our store, or buy any 5 books at $10 or more and get a $5 coupon. But whether or not they can do that depends on the exact phrasing of the contracts.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2010, 03:08 PM   #33
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
I'd imagine that obvious loopholes like that won't be possible (also, a rebate wouldn't be what the club promised)
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #34
Grumpyreader
Connoisseur
Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS505, Kindle 2 Int.
Looking at the model (or what we know of it anyway) it looks like the publishers are trying to ensure that they get a guaranteed x% back on every sale. So rebates which don't touch the profits of the publishers should be ok. I say "should" because I haven't seen the small print. They could have outlawed that too.

On the legal point, I suppose the one possible claim could be a breach of contract. The "you promised me discounts, so I bought membership and now you're not going to give me the discounts. I want my money back!" approach.

However, I reckon if we check the small print of the contract it'll say that the discounts available can be changed by Fictionwise at any time, without prior notice. That's standard practice so the company doesn't sign themselves up to something the they won't be able to honour at some point in the future...like now. If you want to argue with that clause that the ability to change discounts is unfair then you're into the Unfair Contract Terms Act here and good luck with that one... Generally the rule is caveat emptor or buyer beware before signing [sic]

However, I freely admit that I'm not a corporate or commercial lawyer, you should in no way rely on my advice and I know nothing about US law and things may be totally different over there.

Infact they are still offering discounts where they can (i.e. honouring the 15% Club discount for the life of your membership) but they're having to withdraw discounts for REP books.

I'm taking a "wait and see approach" as I've only got one year left. I'll see what Fictionwise do once the dust has settled and then decide whether to ask nicely whether I'm entitled to some money back as a good-will gesture.

Last edited by Grumpyreader; 04-01-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Grumpyreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #35
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Yeah. In my case I'm kinda lucky. I only got it for 1 year because at the time they were offering a 100% rebate of the BW membership price. I had books I was going to buy anyway, so I figured why not? So I'm actually not out any money at all, even if BW was pulled out from under my feet.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #36
Grumpyreader
Connoisseur
Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS505, Kindle 2 Int.
For once it's better to be outside US when buying e-books then inside!

I've just noticed that Waterstones are selling [shudder] Twilight by Hatchett Digital at below RRP. A whopping £1.60 off too. Looks like the Brits haven't caught on to REP or perhaps haven't implemented it yet?

I haven't tried to buy it to see if it's still purchasable (does that word even exist?) because...well...it's Twilight but it's still listed for sale at less than RRP.
Grumpyreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #37
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
This is not news... I have moved it to the discussions thread.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #38
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
Wolfman,

What do I do with my micropay money if I don't buy ebooks from FW?
Continue to buy books with it. No one said you couldn't.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:16 AM   #39
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Bob.

FW induced readers to purchase long term memberships by creating the expectation that deals would be available for the length of their memberships. A question is created regarding whether they have delivered to their members that which they promised. A further question is whether FW had a duty, if any, to tell its members that the opportunities it promised was about to evaporate. I, for one, refuse to believe that FW decided Wednesday morning that they were going to both reduce the books offered and further increase the cost of the books that remained. I believe they had a duty to those from whom they had accepted money to give them a warning of the impending changes.

To you, as an experienced hand in the ebook business, this might not be news. To me, as a newbie who paid good money to FW for a long term relationship, this was important news. Sorry you don't see it that way. If they had told me, I would have purchased the books in my wish list that are now gone.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:47 AM   #40
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I've changed your title, which is misleading to the membership of MobileRead and to any visitors who happen to pass by.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #41
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Continue to buy books with it. No one said you couldn't.
It's foolish to buy books if they don't carry anything good anymore, though.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:53 AM   #42
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
It's foolish to buy books if they don't carry anything good anymore, though.
Hmmm. There are 10,490 items from Random House alone available. There must be something worth reading there.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:11 AM   #43
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Hmmm. There are 10,490 items from Random House alone available. There must be something worth reading there.
Yes, there is. I own most if not all of it, though.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:15 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
From what I've read on Teleread, it's possible that Amazon, FW, BON, and others not yet setup for Agency pricing will be set on April 3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #45
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
Yes, there is. I own most if not all of it, though.

Touché

Last edited by Graham; 04-02-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote