Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: The Sony Reader is available for order. Did you order it already?
Yes! 24 46.15%
No. 28 53.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2006, 11:16 AM   #31
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
The very nice and helpful Customer Service Agent confirmed this was wrong and made the change to overnight.
So what was the correct price for overnight? I may want to change as well.....
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:53 AM   #32
gbdesai
gbdesai began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan
So what was the correct price for overnight? I may want to change as well.....
I just called them to expedite shipping and the guy told me that the shipping quotes were accurate! $271 and $350 for the two faster shipping options. Geez I live in the midwest, where are they shipping this from Antarctica?
gbdesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2006, 11:59 AM   #33
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I think this is not fair for Alex. MR should arrange a group shipping for It's editorial staff.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:01 PM   #34
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbdesai
I just called them to expedite shipping and the guy told me that the shipping quotes were accurate! $271 and $350 for the two faster shipping options. Geez I live in the midwest, where are they shipping this from Antarctica?
Maybe they have someone send it first-class from Japan to you.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:06 PM   #35
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Maybe they have someone send it first-class from Japan to you.
They're being made in San Diego, I think....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2006, 12:16 PM   #36
Ken Stuart
The Knight Who Says Nook!
Ken Stuart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color ; dead Clie NR70 ; living Rocket REB1100 ; QY70 (pictured)
I'm surprised that no one asked (on Sept. 15) about the ban on shipping outside the U.S.

I can imagine tailoring a book product for U.S. tastes and conventions, but the only reason I can imagine enforcing it is regional DRM - in other words, just like DVD, having release dates of books that are different in different regions.
Ken Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:18 PM   #37
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Stuart
I'm surprised that no one asked (on Sept. 15) about the ban on shipping outside the U.S.

I can imagine tailoring a book product for U.S. tastes and conventions, but the only reason I can imagine enforcing it is regional DRM - in other words, just like DVD, having release dates of books that are different in different regions.
Who says we didn't ask? There wasn't much of an answer that they could give, apparently. Reading between the lines, I suspect that there may be some inter-divisional stuff going on, but that's mostly a guess.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:27 PM   #38
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I had to choose "no" in this poll because I'm outside the US.

I have friends in the US and maybe I will ask them but the real thrill is to order it yourself and track the process of sending.

Why Sony, why only US? Do us Europe people smell to cheese? Hmmm..before it gets really nasty I think it's better to leave you lucky people here and move my @ss to the meditation section. "Spock, to the transporter room!"
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:38 PM   #39
Ken Stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
There wasn't much of an answer that they could give, apparently
That would be consonant with regional DRM, since it would not be implemented yet.

Quote:
Who says we didn't ask?
A list of questions they would not answer would be almost as interesting, as the ones they did answer.

Last edited by Ken Stuart; 09-26-2006 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:55 PM   #40
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
Why Sony, why only US? Do us Europe people smell to cheese? Hmmm..before it gets really nasty I think it's better to leave you lucky people here and move my @ss to the meditation section. "Spock, to the transporter room!"
I think they don't have the European publishers ready for distributing e-books via Sony Connect. Until this changes, they'll miss the potential income source they hope to find through the US version of Sony Connect.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:58 PM   #41
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I called and asked Sony cust srvc a few questions about my order and got some interesting answers:

* First of all, wrt upgrading shipping, they said (with what seemed to be a genuine straight face) that it would cost $175 for 3-4 day shipping and the next upgrade was $225! I persuaded him that it was silly, and he tried to reorder it and found the same numbers, so he concluded that it was wrong in the system and there was no way to upgrade shipping at reasonable prices. Obviously I stuck with the free 6 day shipping option.

* Much happier was the fact that despite the web site showing order status of a 9/28 expected shipping date, he said it was being readied for shipping on 9/26 and he thought it should go out today or tomorrow.

* He said that they would NOT hold the reader shipment to wait for the dock to be ready, so the reader will come first and the dock will follow later.

* He also told me that I don't have anything to worry about wrt not receiving an email confirming the purchase. It's being processed, as per the web order status, so I'm good.

* Oddly, I signed up twice for the "Update Me" when Sony Reader is available at the Sony Style site, but never received any email notices about it. Good thing we have MobileRead to keep us informed! ;-)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:33 PM   #42
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
Off topic.. It's really cool to goto the Frontpage an see 40+ comments for a story. Wait until next year 4/1/07 to be exact. Exclusive news re MR ebook reader.. An yep before anyone asks it will have Bobs icon while loading, Alex when you shut down. An I'll be in the about box.
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:39 PM   #43
Ken Stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Young
Off topic.. It's really cool to goto the Frontpage an see 40+ comments for a story. Wait until next year 4/1/07 to be exact. Exclusive news re MR ebook reader.. An yep before anyone asks it will have Bobs icon while loading, Alex when you shut down. An I'll be in the about box.
Amazingly, I did not understand one sentence out of this !
Old 09-26-2006, 02:42 PM   #44
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
British sense of humour I guess
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:44 PM   #45
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Shipping is down to $ 112.50 for 2-day but that is still silly. I tried calling and getting them to do something more reasonable but they said they could not until it was fixed in their database. They said they would call me back later when that happened if I wanted but I decided to go ahead and make sure my order got in today so went with the free shipping. It will ship fed-ex ground from either PA or CA. If it's PA I'll get it overnight since I'm in NJ but I suspect it will ship from CA. They said that they had around 130 ready to ship and that there where around 50 left as of 2:30pm EST. They also told me that the retails stores would not be getting any for a couple of weeks. I too did not get a notice other than reading it here. I take that as a good thing since it likely helped me get one of the first batch

I've been lurking for a while but now that the thing is (finally) coming out I'm ready to participate and talk about the fun I'm sure we are all going to have with this new toy!

-Greg
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote