Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
lovemov
Enthusiast
lovemov began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
What does formatting exactly do to lrf? Easy way to do Collection management?

As we all know, drag and drop lrf directly to 505 does not properly format it and it will do formatting itself when start reading in the reader and also during font change the first time, it takes a while formatting again.
When transfer using Sony library software, it does the formatting at PC side so after the transfer it no longer needs any formatting.
I am looking at the lrf file on Reader and PC, they are exactly the same, so my guess is the formatting only put useful info in the cache xml file. However, the xml really has nothing for some lrf files.
I wonder if anyone knows about it?

The major question here is, if use Calibre, the Collection management is so nice and simple, but it does not formatting the book and it takes too much time during reading(starting a new book if the book file is huge)
If I use Sony Software, formatting is nice, but Collection management is a pain when I have several hundreds of books to load.
So if I know what exactly the formatting does, I may simple use Calibre to manage the books and manually editing the xml file put formatting info there...
Well, nothing is perfect, so far.

Last edited by lovemov; 03-29-2009 at 03:44 PM.
lovemov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
The only formatting that the Sony software does to a pre-made .lrf file is figuring out where the page breaks are.

Collections are completely different from pagination. They work sort of like a playlist on an mp3 player. They don't do anything to the file itself.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemov View Post
so my guess is the formatting only put useful info in the cache xml file. However, the xml really has nothing for some lrf files.
I wonder if anyone knows about it?
Correct for the first part - Unfortunately, for the second part, the answer is "Only Sony", which is, of course, the reason why Calibre doesn't do it, so the first step is to reverse engineer it...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:54 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is no "formatting" done when you load a book or change font size. The time lag is while the book is paginated.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
While that's strictly true, the label that appears at the bottom of the page does say "Formatting..."!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert