Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2014, 12:23 AM   #1
Hiro-kun
Hiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Glo
Corner of screen no longer refreshes

The top-left corner of my Glo has suddenly stopped refreshing after starting from a sleep. Neither a soft reset nor a factory reset fixed it. Touch still works as I can still hit the Home icon and I can otherwise navigate normally. Is my screen totally borked?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20141120_002.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	854.4 KB
ID:	131335  

Last edited by Hiro-kun; 11-20-2014 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Add photo of problem
Hiro-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:27 AM   #2
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yes that seems a broken e-ink substrate... Have you hit/drop your device somehow?
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2014, 12:38 AM   #3
Hiro-kun
Hiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
Yes that seems a broken e-ink substrate... Have you hit/drop your device somehow?
I've dropped it from less than a metre before, but not recently. I was carrying it in a jacket pocket; it was fine just before I left my home. The problem occurred when I took it out on a bus. I don't think I put any undue stress on the device; maybe I sat down a little too hard?

I suppose I don't have any options other than getting a new one.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You have a broken substrate.

There is absolutely nothing you can do to fix it, short of buying another screen and installing it yourself.

Your best bet is to buy another one.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #5
Hiro-kun

Thanks for your help, arspr and Dr. Drib. Good thing this happened soon enough before Black Friday and Cyber Monday!
Advert
Old 11-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro-kun View Post
Thanks for your help, arspr and Dr. Drib. Good thing this happened soon enough before Black Friday and Cyber Monday!

I'm sorry this has happened to you.

The good news (if there is such a thing) is that if you decide to buy another same unit, then you can use the parts from the first one if something goes wrong with the second one AND if the second is out of warranty.

If you decide to get something totally different, you can still sell this damaged one for parts harvesting - there's a market, and someone will buy it as a broken unit.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't put your replacement Reader in a pocket and buy a cover for it and always use it with the cover.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
Hiro-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't put your replacement Reader in a pocket and buy a cover for it and always use it with the cover.
Thanks for your suggestion. I did indeed have it in a case; I removed it for the photograph.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:52 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My guess is because you had it in your pocket on public transport, that you maybe got bumped. I've read of that sort of thing happening to others.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #10
Hiro-kun

Replacing my Glo: HD or H2O?

Quote:
My guess is because you had it in your pocket on public transport, that you maybe got bumped. I've read of that sort of thing happening to others.
It's certainly possible, although I did not notice when it happened.

On a side note, I'm deciding between the Aura HD and the Aura H2O. A local store has the Aura HD on clearance, possibly because it is to be replaced by the H2O. The Aura HD is just under $100 CAD while the current price of the H2O is $179.99.

I don't need the waterproofness of the H2O and at least one reviewer noticed that the recessed USB port means that only cables with a thin profile can be used.

However, the H2O has a Carta e-ink screen, while the HD has a Pearl. Another reviewer says that the improvements from Pearl to Carta are only a little noticeable; slightly darker text and a slightly lighter background. On the other hand, the official Carta specs show that Carta screens can be made with the Mobius Flexible display or glass. Given that I damaged my Glo's screen, having the more durable flexible screen is attractive to me. Does anyone know if the Aura H2O has a glass or Mobius screen?
Old 11-23-2014, 10:05 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The H2O is glass.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:09 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I don't need the waterproofness of the H2O and at least one reviewer noticed that the recessed USB port means that only cables with a thin profile can be used.
So far the only USB cable I've found that doesn't work reliably on my H2O is iffy on my Aura HD (and other microUSB connected devices). I tried milling down the edge of the connector until it fitted inside the H2O's slot but that still left it flaky. A bit upsetting since it is one of the few cables I actually paid for instead of having it come with a device.

Quote:
However, the H2O has a Carta e-ink screen, while the HD has a Pearl. Another reviewer says that the improvements from Pearl to Carta are only a little noticeable; slightly darker text and a slightly lighter background. On the other hand, the official Carta specs show that Carta screens can be made with the Mobius Flexible display or glass. Given that I damaged my Glo's screen, having the more durable flexible screen is attractive to me. Does anyone know if the Aura H2O has a glass or Mobius screen?
The Aura H2O has a glass screen. Comparing my HD and H2O, the H2O's display has blacker blacks and whiter whites but not that noticeable unless I hold the two side by side or use a densitometer when I'm feeling in a mad scientist mood.

With the Mobius screens, at one point, it was mentioned the flexible screens did not have the same resolution capability as the glass screens -- the Sony 13.3" ereader is ~150PPI. the 1.73" display mentioned would be ~225PPI while the H2O is 265 PPI and the Voyage 300 PPI. The new data sheets on eInk's site seem to have been simplified and no longer mention that limitation so it may no longer be an issue.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-23-2014 at 10:14 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:26 AM   #13
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
It's certainly possible, although I did not notice when it happened.

On a side note, I'm deciding between the Aura HD and the Aura H2O. A local store has the Aura HD on clearance, possibly because it is to be replaced by the H2O. The Aura HD is just under $100 CAD while the current price of the H2O is $179.99.

I have an Aura HD and a Kindle PW2--the Aura HD is a Pearl screen and the PW2 has a Carta screen. Since I don't have the H2O, obviously I can't comment on the H2O screen--but honestly, I find the screens on both my HD and PW2 to be very good. For $80, I'd personally go for the HD and spend the difference on the cover and some e-books. I'm very happy with my HD--can see paying an extra $10 for the H2O, but $80 is a significant savings--and $100 for the HD is a great deal!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #14
Hiro-kun

Thanks, JSWofl, DNSB, and dordale. If the H2O had a flexible screen, it would have greatly muddied the decision, but learning that its screen is likely no more durable than the HD's, I have decided to get the HD today.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #15
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Quote:
The H2O is glass.
We were talking about flexible screens back in 2008 and as far as I can see it's not come to market.

One of the biggest downsides of e-ink seems to be that the screens can be fragile and you need to be careful with it. I moved away from Bookeen after I lost 2 Cybooks to torsion.

Now that I'm back with a plastic shelled reader, which I hope is more torsion resistant (although there's no way to tell) I'm again a bit concerned about screen damage, at least they're cheaper to replace now.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, screen issue